Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

A third possible reason, a la Alain Prost, he's been shagging the team principles missus and has "left the building"? Doesn't make a great deal of sense but then McLaren chose not to take either of their two main drivers to the mid-season test last year and look how well the season turned out for them. Hmmm...

Whatever is going on...FA ...will be right on it.....he seems to have more nous than anyone in F!.....
except.:thinking: maybe the combined brains of Red Bull..................

Autosport explains what they believe to be Ferrari's thinking regarding testing duties. Their analysis appears to be perfectly logical. Ferrari realize Alonso will get the best out of the new car and provide the feedback they need from the moment he gets in the car, as previous teams have found when Alonso starts his contribution to their development program.

I think Alonso's driving is fine, but maybe Ferrari were promised six-tenths...
Based on the difference between Alonso and Massa for three quarters of last season, it's probably fair to say Alonso took a hell of a lot more than six tenths to the team last season. :)

Autosport explains what they believe to be Ferrari's thinking regarding testing duties. Their analysis appears to be perfectly logical. Ferrari realize Alonso will get the best out of the new car and provide the feedback they need from the moment he gets in the car, as previous teams have found when Alonso starts his contribution to their development program.

Then suerly if Fernando is the super feed back man then the actual logic is to grt him in the car as quickly as possible so they get the
instant feedback as quickly as possible so they have the car perfect as early as they can in order to get off to a great start. "we'll get Fernandos good feedback later after we've had the feedback from those that aren't as good" makes no sense whatsoever however you put it

Your next argument could be that super Alonso is just giving the others a chance. To be honest whatever way you argue it this is an odd choice.

I can understand allowing PdlR to take a turn, in the same way that McLaren run Gary Paffett first in the majority of the pre-season tests. It also allows the test driver to do the shaking down, and ensure there are no reliabilty issues etc.

I would have thought however, that both the race drivers would like to get a feel for the car in order to make some improvements in to the second test, with as much time as possible to improve matters.

Hey ho, I am not Ferrari, I am sure they have their reasons.

RasputinLives....The first test is always a breakdown period for a new car and will be this year also, despite the fact that the regulations are largely unchanged. There's no reason Massa and PdlR can't make an equally good job during the first test. During the second and third tests development work begins in earnest and are clearly the time Alonso's contribution will become critical.
I know for a fact when Alonso was first employed by Renault as a test driver he spent some time kicking a soccer ball around behind the pit garage. Senior staff seriously wondered if he was taking his new role seriously. They actually had to call him in when they were ready for him to take the car out. He was up to speed in his first lap then back into the pits, able to tell them exactly how the car was behaving and what areas needed attention. That is a true story and the beginning of Alonso's reputation as one of the sports finest development drivers. We're talking about a very young man who was still a couple of years away from becoming the sports youngest champion. I'm sure Ferrari know exactly what they're doing and will have very good reasons for the decisions they've made regarding how they utilize their drivers. We can be absolutely sure Alonso will be being kept up to date and will be ready as soon as Ferrari call on him.

I think it's a case of hidden motive from Ferrari, say a slight pre-season injury to Alonso or perhaps a clash with another date that requires FA. In addition to that the first test is usually covered by testing each core area of the car to make sure that it is both reliable and corroborating with what the wind tunnel had previously indicated.

I think Bill was cheekerly starting a rumour!

I've never denied that Fermando is not a brilliant development driver but once again that only makes it odder they don't want him in the car ASAP.

Sorry but it does.

Not sure what to do with Alonso.
There's been a lot of discussion about how good or bad the Ferrari really was, and Alonso's efforts in downtuning the car's pace in the media. But I'm just short of thinking he's just completely lost it now. His latest comment:

"At the end of the year we were quite far from [pace-setters] Red Bull and McLaren, in a group with force Force India and Sauber behind Lotus," -link

I think not even the biggest Alonso fan would argue that they were anything but the third fastest car in the latter half. But if there was still some doubt, let's just look at the numbers from Hungary on:
  • Vettel: 171 points
  • Alonso: 124 points
  • Button: 120 points
  • Kimi: 109 points
  • Massa: 99 points
  • Hamilton: 98 points
  • Webber: 59 points
  • Hülkenberg: 44 points
  • Grosjean: 35 points
  • Kobayashi: 27 points
  • Perez: 19 points
  • di Resta: 19 points
  • Red Bull: 295
  • Ferrari: 223
  • McLaren: 218
  • Lotus: 144
  • Force India: 63
  • Sauber: 46
Even if believe in Alonso's 0.6 second talent, Massa had double the points of those Alonso claims were as fast or faster than Ferrari. Massa was just 10 points short of scoring as much as Force India and Sauber combined, who were apparently in the same group.

Even just taking qualifying, which some ascribe to being indicative of race pace (big if), of the 60 times a Lotus, Force India or Sauber could have been faster than Massa (again, let's assume the worst of the car), 20 times is hardly shocking. When you take out the Lotusses, 9 out of 40 shows the rediculousness of even including Force India and Sauber.

By taking the latter half of the year, it's actually doing Alonso a favor, as taking anything closer to the actual end, only makes the comment further from the truth.

Fernando is definitely one of the three best drivers out there right now, but why the constant need for these kind of comments that are rediculous on every conceivable level?

Because Fernando is so full of himself he cant help but utter hyperbolic platitudes every time he opens his mouth.

I can't imagine how bad that Ferrari will have been when he's telling the story of 2012 to his grandkids. I'm sure he'll leave out the parts where his teammate was repeatedly used as a pawn in the title race as well.

Back
Top Bottom