Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

I suspect the lessons of 2007 for Alonso will mean he will be ready for Vettel should Seb join Ferrari in 2014
Trulli didn't prepare him for Lewis.
Lewis didn't prepare him for early Massa.
What basis is there to assume he will be ready for a strong team-mate this time?

How many other drivers would have also had no penalties had mechanical causes not been included? I'm struggling to find one in the top ten, hold on, there's Massa. :)

mnmracer

It is called experience which he has plenty of over Vettel and 4 years at Ferrari head start

With Massa he stamped his authority when it was time to

With Vettel he will make it Seb know who's the main man at Ferrari very early ...he does not hold a lot of respect for Seb so he will keep it that way

He's not going ti implode like he did at Mclaren

Trulli at Renault - different scenario.. he was not world champion then and by the time he got to MClaren he thought by right as reigning world champion he would be undisputed No 1 as allegedly promised by Ron Dennis

Il_leone
When he arrived at McLaren, he had already 6 years experience and he had no respect for Hamilton either.
When he arrived at Ferrari, he had already 9 years experience, yet still couldn't handle Massa being quicker, and no respect there either.

So why would we assume that there is something magic that happens between 6, 9 and 14 years of experience?

What happened was that Massa was on a leash and that prevented him from going for the win ... but probably Bill was referring to the start of 2010 (maybe?) where Massa stood up to Alonso for a while but was not necessarily "quicker".

In Brazil Alonso finished in front of Massa. There is no evidence that Massa was quicker than Alonso or vice versa.

However there is some evidence that the poster who cast aspersions on Alonso has had time to respond to my question despite having been on here recently.

No evidence true...

But how did you not notice Massa defending Alonso from a number of cars, noticably Webber who he even blocked in and allowed Alonso to breeze past the both of them. Anyone who thinks Alonso would have emerged on top in a fair fight that day must be blind. :dunno:

mnmracer

I've already said he was promised to be undisputed No 1 at Mclaren by Ron being world champion and after race 1 he sensed
it was not going to be the case.
- he self destructed because he did not handle the Hungary quali situation will

at Ferrari - the team made the decision for him being the one ahead in the championship that time

I don't see Seb being handle teammates being quicker than him very well either

Turkey 2009 - his moaning over the radio to engineer because his mistake cost him 2nd on different strategy
Turkey 2010 - his idiot finger gesture
Silverstone 2010 - attempt to squeeze Webber into a wall only getting his tyre slashed
Silverstone / Germany 2011 - he was shoddy at the next race when being accused of favouritism

Alonso won;t repeat the same mistake like he did at Mclaren- the fact he has already stated it is probably his last team in F1 he will drive for ...he won't want to leave Ferrari in the same way Prost did

Difference with Hamilton and Massa...he's played the politics better before he makes another outburst about his teammate being quicker

Ferrari/ Luca love Alonso - he's more like Schumacher than Raikkonen ever was which is what Ferrari need

the sort of silly mistakes Vettel does still will be seized upon by Alonso as he won;t a superior car advantage to get him out of trouble

Rather tedious, since it won't change anybody's mind, but in the later races of the season Alonso was getting "upgrades" that Massa was not, for the supposed benefit of the championship, but whether they made his car faster, slower or no different to Massa's is open to debate. Certainly I have seen it suggested that they made matters worse.

Personally, I still see no reason to believe that Seb will leave Red Bull. Why should he, when he and the team have shown a measure of mastery over the competition that Ferrari, even with the redoubtable Mr. Alonso on board, can only dream of?

Are you sure that all the upgrades went to Alonso? There was one of the commentators (I can't remmeber which one) who said at Austin that Massa had opted for the new front wing whilst Alonso had decided to stick with the old one. It may be that they were both offered any updates that came along and they had the choice on which one to use.

I seem to remember that Massa was getting the upgrades first to make sure they worked otherwise how can you explain the front wing on Massa car that flapped so much it looked like a swan trying to defy Earth's gravity on a stretch of water that is to short for take off? :D

I was just thinking earlier...

While Hamilton and Button were at McLaren Hamilton was likened to Senna and Button to Prost. However, really I think this should have been done during Hamilton and Alonso's melting pot of a season in '07. Hamilton had 6 poles to Alonso's 2 and generally looked the quicker driver. However Alonso being the wily fox he is was right there with Hamilton at the end. The Spaniard is just as wily now, another thing that links him with Prost is that he's won multiple championships and could have had another 3 if luck had gone his way, much like the Frencman could have had a few more titles had things favoured him. I wonder if Alonso's failed championship attempts will be remembered much like Prost's aren't (only by some of course).

Can you tell I get bored at work? :D

Fernando is definitely Prost like ...not in terms of driving style but has the ability and the knack to galvanise the team and finish a lot of races in positions which he had no right to be

he may not be the fastest but is relentlessly quick in the race and difficult to shake off

Even Hamilton said Alonso was tough thinking he had just done a seriously quick lap and then Alonso is still there and faster occassionally

All that being said, the fact remains that, after 3 years, he still has produced zero championships. The Scuderia is running out of excuses. If they don't win at least one of the championships this year, I suspect the team will fall out of love with Alonso as quickly as they fell in. After all, he's not getting any quicker, but IS getting older.

Back
Top Bottom