F1 rule change 2017

Whatever rule changes they bring in for 2017, one thing that you can rely on is that they will change them all at least twice. At short notice.

I've said it before and I will say it again the last thing F1 needs is a big rule changes. The only thing it needs to change is the ban on testing. The last rule change meant Merc got a massive jump on everyone and due to limited testing and development teams Weren't able to close up quickly.

After 3 years the other teams are finally getting within striking distance but guess what's going to happen? Big rule change where one team come out massively ahead and will dominate. Due to limited testing it'll take everyone else ages to catch up. By the time they do the powers that be will have tried to stop the domination by having a massive rule change. And it all starts again.

F1 has been on this spin cycle since the Ferrari years.

Last edited:
A proposal from some bloke called Chris Beatty. I quite like it.

MTM3ODk2Mzc4NDk0ODg3Nzky.jpg

http://www.maxim.com/rides/closed-cockpit-formula-1-race-car-2016-4

Looks like Formula Ford with a cockpit canopy. I like it. I guess we would get ground effect so they weren't as slow as formula ford.

Last edited:
Rules changes are no good if it makes racing less exciting for the fans and drivers

Having just looked at them

the two I see as a sticking point

- Engine supply going down by €1m a season that it is pittance gesture since the engines are about €15m a year
- Engine suppliers obligated to supply teams who have no engine deal... well Red Bull and Toro Rosso were in this situation last year so how will it be enforced and be different?

- Engine suppliers obligated to supply teams who have no engine deal... well Red Bull and Toro Rosso were in this situation last year so how will it be enforced and be different?

During the tyre war era, if there was two manufacturers, each of them had to be prepared to give tyres for 60% of the competitiors. Something similar. There is four engine manufacturers which would be 25% when shared equally. However you can't share 11 into four equal parts when they have to be integers.

One of the tyre suppliers only supplied two teams, and then on;y after they had been ordered to supply Minardi.

It would be funny if Mercedes had to supply Ferrari and the other way round.

Actually I think it's kind of a bad idea that the teams who build their own motor also have to supply their motor to others. It's kinda a long time ago since a customer team won a race.

Back
Top Bottom