F1 rule change 2017

If the new rules are to make the cars more reliant on aerodynamics then they are going completely in the wrong direction IMO

I thought giving the cars more power would be step in moving away from aero...

Last edited:
I thought giving the cars more power would be step in moving away from aero...

All more power does is allow the teams to run more wing making the cars even more dependent on aero. Witness the 1,500 bhp monsters of the mid-80's which had wings on the wings on the wings. I think Toleman even ran two rear wings at one point.

Ferrari did that as well. The rule book at the time specified the width of the wing but didn't state how many wings you could have.

The Ferrari was disqualified at Long Beach in '82. This monster, however, did race.

Toleman_TG183B_at_Goodwood_2010.jpg

I thought they ran the Ferrari before a rule clarification banned it for the rest of the season. There was a lot going on in 82. It just shows not every call went in favour of a grandee team

In terms of your original point FB, wing sizes are now so tightly regulated I don't think there would be a huge increase in wing if they bumped the power up to 1000bhp or more.

But they would be able to run much steeper wing angles with more power creating more down force and more turbulence behind the car. Also, what would they do with the floor and rear diffuser with an extra 200bhp?

I was nodding in agreement until I got to the bit that suggested using the opinion of Ron Dennis. Sorry but he's one of the problems not one of the solutions. His organisation is one that continues to spend millions of pounds on technology centres and other things like sports car building, none of which it needs to be a successful formula one team but all of which needs the current financial input that only F1 can generate. Ron Dennis has claimed in a recent Autosport article that F1 is now too big for title sponsors because a company who were the title sposor once pumped in around 50% of a teams budget and there are now no companies who can provide that level of funding to McLaren by themselves.

Last edited:
It's a shame that the others aren't more vocal about what would improve F1.

I'm sure they know but they're not saying it loud and clear...

Is it because they too know it's Bernie but can't afford to be cut out?

Andyoak Last person who spoke out Bernie just look where he is now ... his name was Luca Di Montezemolo .... he just about said everything from 3rd cars , limiting testing etc

Autosport:
The surge of excitement created by Ferrari's concept Formula 1 car shows that a big change to the look of grand prix machinery would be popular.

There are not enough expletives in the World to express how I feel about this statement! >:(

It almost seems like someone's gone 'shit, LMP is going to become more popular than F1, let's make F1 cars look like LMP, that'll solve the problem...'

Mind you, if they make F1 races 4-24 hours, I'd watch...

Blame the teams Jen

Apperently the best way to solve the problem of declining sponsorship, viewers and reach due to the continual tinkering with the sport is to promote speculation and encourage support for further tinkering with the sport.

Back
Top Bottom