F1 and Ethnic Diversity

Also what I don't think has been addressed in this thread is the question of why there are very few non-white, non-drivers. With the actual driving of a car, you can see why there may not be so many different ethnicities because of motor racing's background and history, and only over generations will we start to see more ethnically diverse grids. However this should not really apply to engineers, technicians, designers, mechanics etc.

There are plenty of great minds in China and India etc, but when was the last time you saw a good head count of people from those regions? Is it a subconscious thing from within the teams? Is it a language thing? Is it because quite a few teams' workstaff are based in the UK? But then that doesn't account for why there are so few black and ethnic minority British workers at those teams.

I can only really say that it is mostly because of the lack of role-models. It is an unfortunate situation in society - do black kids start running track because they see 7/8 runners in the Olympic final are black? Is it because middle class Britain is predominantly white that we see so many white drivers? Is there some ridiculous undercurrent that has been imprinted in past generations that "white kids are smart, black kids are athletic"? I'm not agreeing with that statement by the way, but as a pointer, take a look at American Football. The quarterback, and most prized, position is probably 85% white at the professional level, yet I'm guessing at least 60-70% of all professional American footballers are black. The quarterback role is considered one that needs high intelligence but not necessarily athletic ability, while most other roles require far greater athleticism.

It's an interesting and controversial subject but one that intrigues me. Sorry if I've gone on a bit of a tangent.

Good question

http://www.gladwell.com/1997/1997_05_19_a_sports.htm

Malcolm Gladwell, who is generally regarded as one of the most astute of social commentators looked at this, he also looks more recently at the similarities between American football and dogfighting

Gladwell also happens to be black btw

Might even come with a sponsorship package from Tata!

Might also choose Indian because it would open up the Indian market to sponsors... there's a lot of money coming through over there that will be spent. It might not be evenly distributed but it's there.

Which also brings us back to the drivers / techie's etc.

The sport has always been expensive to get into; you need access to quite a lot of bucks to start racing even in lower formula. Therefore, it stands to reason that the drivers will come from ethnic groups with money... until most recently, predominantly European / North American.

Likewise on the techie front... F1 employs engineers at the pinacle of their field and that means top drawer education which again doesn't come cheap.

Finally, the big money that F1 relies on appears to be generally conservative and will maintain the status quo while it still works.

Maybe Bernie is right... it's all about the money.

I had a thought on this today. Back in the 70's Elf set up a school which gave us drivers like Jabouille, Tambay, Prost and Arnoux. In the late 80's Mercedes young driver program gave us Wendlinger, Frentzen and, of course, Schumacher (M). I wonder if there is anything similar going on in India, China or the Middle East?

New Zealand had its "Driver to Europe" program which gave us McLaren, Hulme and Amon. It is no coincidence that there has been an absence of drivers from there since the termination of the program.

I would love to see a few women get enough support to make it. I thought Legge might do, but she has vanished like smoke in the wind.

Force India launch drivers academy.
http://indianforcef1.blogspot.com/2011/04/force-india-announces-force-india.html
Force India Formula 1 team,today, unveiled its plan to hunt for one in the Billion F1 driver from India. The team announced "Force India Drivers Academy" which is aimed at nurturing Young Indian for the big platform. The program is for 5 years.Both Male & Female in the age between 14-17 years are eligible for the Program.
According to the official website:

The Force India Formula One team Driver Academy is the first phase of a driver talent hunt starting in April 2011 where the aim is to identify talented Indian drivers between the ages of 14 and 17 years and nurture them over a 5 year period with a view to developing indigenous Formula 1 driving talent. The initiative aims to spot talent by conducting karting championships all across the country. The races will be conducted between April and June 2011. The program will be conducted once every 2 years.

Believe it or not, 56 year old Willy T. Ribbs was back in action this weekend. Returning from a 10-year hiatus, Ribbs hopped into an Indy Lights car to battle guys almost 30 years his junior. The venue was the inaugural Baltimore GP circuit that blasts past the football and baseball stadiums on the Baltimore Harbor.

After snatching Pole Position, Willy set off into the distance and lapped the entire field...................Until he woke up.

Obviously, Ribbs was a bit rusty, but as a one-off, it was pretty much just for fun. Here's Willy's take on the whole thing.

http://www.racer.com/willy-t-ribbs-blog-a-horse-out-of-pasture/article/210907/

For the record, Ribbs stepped out of the car a few laps short of the 35-Lap race distance.

e7992865633caabe9246e25cd1b4fc2b.jpg

Also of interest is that Willy T Ribbs, who drove in the US CART series between 1990 and 1994, tested for Brabham in 1986 and not only has F1 had Jewish drivers there has been a Jewish World Champion. Francois Cevert, Peter Revson and Ian and Jody Scheckter are/were all Jewish.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is Rubens Barrichello Jewish? Only saying because he has the Star of David visibly on the top of his helmet, and from some onboard shots you can see it.

No he said once that he has it to link the earth and the stars together... I read it in F1 Racing quite some time ago.

As said before just because you are black does not entitle you to a free F1 Seat to show "oh yeah we are multi-cultural " just like the Conservatives basically. You need talent in F1 not a dark complexion of your skin.

As said before just because you are black does not entitle you to a free F1 Seat to show "oh yeah we are multi-cultural " just like the Conservatives basically. You need talent in F1 not a dark complexion of your skin.

It's actually the opposite

If you are black then you would have to be exponentially better than the next guy just to get a shot, that's why the first blacks to break into any sport will tend to be exceptionally talented, like Lewis and Tiger

Of course the system will find a way of discrediting them and reclaiming the space for the less talented sons of the system

It's the way societys have always behaved, until F1 gets non White sponsors and audiences expect this

Just a thought but what we call 'White Brazilians' may describe themselves as being Hispanic which can be viewed as a complete different ethnicity itself. If you count the Brazilians (Massa, Barrichello, Senna) and throw in Perez(Mexico) and Maldonado(Venuzuala) they have quite a high rate of representation. Many Hispanic American's consider themselves and underclass that recieve even more prejudice than African Americans these days so at least F1 doesn't suffer from this.

Also lets note that although driving under the flag of Switzerland Sebastian Buemi is of Arabic decent.

I think where some ethnicites are concerned you can see the lack of them coming to F1 through the lack of interest the sport has had in the region they live. For instance when the Japanese started to supply engines and tyres to F1 we started to get Japanese drivers. Now India has a Grand Prix we're getting Indian drivers. China has already been mention. Where drivers of African decent are concerned GB is the country with highest population that has a big interst in F1 so it made sense that that we should be the country that produces the first high quality F1 driver with that ethnic background. I think if the sport became popular in certain areas of the U.S we'd see a few more......unfourtunatly holding a race in Texas really won't bring in that market.

There is of course one 'ethnicity' missing from F1 that can't be explained away by which sectors of society have money and which regions F1 is in. That would be the missing sex from F1. Why so few female drivers? Always a big question.

There have been exactly 800 F1 drivers representing 37 nations. I don't think thats too bad a spread.

I think it is interesting that people have commented on the lack of non-white faces employed by the teams. As we only see a very small proportion of those involved in each team how do we know who is employed in the factory, as PR, sitting watching the servers in the back room at each race?

I know Petrov has an Asian (don't know his nationality) race engineer, and I think Red Bull have a non-white mechanic. Could be a different team, though.
EDIT: just found a picture. Can't embed it because it's on f1.com, but it's picture #62 here: http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/2011/858/general/sunday.html
(is there a way to shorten links?)

I found another one in the Monaco gallery. Guess the majority of F1 personnel is white, though.

I know Petrov has an Asian (don't know his nationality) race engineer, and I think Red Bull have a non-white mechanic. Could be a different team, though.
EDIT: just found a picture. Can't embed it because it's on f1.com, but it's picture #62 here: http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/2011/858/general/sunday.html
(is there a way to shorten links?)

I found another one in the Monaco gallery. Guess the majority of F1 personnel is white, though.

Most of the teams are European, and all are based in Europe, so it makes sense that most team personnel are White European.

Back
Top Bottom