Pre-Season F1 2022

It's so sad knowing that a pre accident Robert Kubica would have had at least half of those drivers for breakfast.

One of F1's biggest "what is....."

We can't really see a great deal with the timings but the key factor here is laps run. With there being only 4 test days (2 of which are of course the test not test days) there isn't time to mess around fixing cars. Every lap of data is vital.

We can't really see a great deal with the timings but the key factor here is laps run. With there being only 4 test days (2 of which are of course the test not test days) there isn't time to mess around fixing cars. Every lap of data is vital.
there are six days in total of testing,,, but agree with the maxim here.

Hopefully, the testing times are actually indicative of a shaking up of the order. McLaren and Ferrari currently seem to be the pacesetters, followed by Red Bull and Mercedes. If that follows into the season, we could see a spectacular year.

Day 2 at lunch

temp 1.png

If Mclaren and Ferrari are strong then Red Bull have got a serious dog fight because they have the weakest driver line up of the top 4 teams

Difficult to tell from the limited information we've had from the test but there certainly seems to be very few reliability issues with this generation of cars.

It seems that every team has put in well over 100 laps between their drivers yesterday. That's pretty impressive stuff for what is supposed to be an new design from the top down.

Also, their seems to be quite a wide performance differential here between the C3 and C2 tyre compounds. It's been consistently around 2 seconds in each session.

Back in the day Williams used to put timing beams elsewhere around the track, so the lap would start and end, for example, in the middle of the back straight, and then get their drivers to slow down as they got close to the official timing line. I suspect that the systems the teams have now are far more sophisticated, but I also suspect there is a huge element of sand bagging so the true performance of the car cannot be seen

Long time since I've seen this in F1. This is a phenomenon called "porpoising", which is caused by the vacuum created by the ground effect sucking the car down too far and then suddenly releasing. This then repeats until the driver throws up in his helmet and crashes, or the engineers work out how to reduce the "sticktion"

Last edited:
the obvious & correct decision, but im still shocked as ive watched F1 since 1998, this is the 1st time ive seen bosses actually make the correct decision. as i said before we literally raced in the middle of bahraini civil war in 2010

also just thought that sochi done then isnt it, & that 2021 race which was fantastic is the end, because wasnt the russian gp supposed to moved to somewhere else in 2023

Last edited:
Long time since I've seen this in F1. This is a phenomenon called "porpoising", which is caused by the vacuum created by the ground effect sucking the car down too far and then suddenly releasing. This then repeats until the driver throws up in his helmet and crashes, or the engineers work out how to reduce the "sticktion"

Yeah, apparently Alfa Romeo have experienced similar issues with their car on day 1.

If memory serves I think the Lotus Type 80 was the first car to have serious issues like this due to the nature of its curved side skirts getting stuck in the runners. It became even more evident in the fixed skirt era when the car lost contact with the ground and air would rush in to the gap. This is what drove designers down the road of ever and ever stiffer suspension set ups.

It's fascinating how they have reinvented ground effect aero without the use of side skirts. Presumably they are exploiting pressure differentials by channeling different streams of air along the sides and under the car. If these streams are inconsistent or effected by other factors such as the car riding over bumps or a change in the road surface it would lead to the porpoising effect.

Just for some definition on sport and politics. Getting involved in the internal political issues in a country is often overlooked, for example Bahrain a few years ago, in fact the human rights abuses in many of the Arab countries, apartheid in South Africa or the visits to Argentina when ruled by a military junta.

Where sport will often react is when a country steps outside of its national boundaries. So in Moscow in 1980 the US refused to take part after the Russian invasion of Afghanistan, and the UK was represented by the British Olympic Committee. This was the British "team" entering the stadium at the opening ceremony.

1645791818778.png

Geo-politics has moved on a bit from this time, but not anywhere near enough. Brutal regimes, whether killing within their own borders or in other countries, should be shunned politically, economically and in sports as well. To my mind, Russian sportsmen and teams should be banned from all international events as they just serve as a propaganda tool for Putin.

Back
Top Bottom