Ecclestone wants to impose V8s in F1 for 2016

What do you think about the present engine (turbo V6 1,6)?

• The present turbo V6 1,6 is good

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • The present turbo V6 1,6 is not good but need to leave

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • The present turbo V6 1,6 is not good and need to be changed

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Bernie always says something to make the F1 teams take note like short cuts, medals systems ( whoops!), and he probably sending a warning barrage to Mercedes especially

Haven't we got a GP coming up in the land of the V8 that needs a little publicity?

Usual Bernie nonsense for the time of year...

Haven't we got a GP coming up in the land of the V8 that needs a little publicity?

Usual Bernie nonsense for the time of year...

Yeah although someone should update Bernie that in the land of the V8, V6 turbos now rule. Even the Ford F150 is a V6 Turbo these days. Lincoln doesn't make V8 saloon cars any more, and Cadillac is also selling mostly V6 turbos and even some inline 4 turbos, with V8s only reserved for their top-end V (motorsport) models.

Though V8 engines may temp Audi into the sport as a manufacturer. Adapting their V8 tech to F1 could potentially produce a world beating engine in terms of both power and fuel economy. Anyone cynical enough to believe Bernie may be trying to tempt other brands into the sport just in case Red Bull do fall on their sword?

Though V8 engines may temp Audi into the sport as a manufacturer. Adapting their V8 tech to F1 could potentially produce a world beating engine in terms of both power and fuel economy. Anyone cynical enough to believe Bernie may be trying to tempt other brands into the sport just in case Red Bull do fall on their sword?

I think Audi is not going to be doing anything new for a while. They have to find billions in cost savings to make up for the mess VW has created. This diesel emissions issue is going to cost about EUR 35 billion to VW. Thats more than double their annual profits - but reality is that it will take even longer than that to recoup losses because their sales are also falling which means they will take maybe 5 years to recover from this and be able to consider spend on things like F1.

I think Audi is not going to be doing anything new for a while. They have to find billions in cost savings to make up for the mess VW has created.

The principle is correct. How you refer to two brands within the same group is entirely incorrect.

Audi is VAG the same people who build Audi out of VW parts with minor modifications, they may need F1 rather than can't afford it, anyway it could enter under SkodaLOL

Aren't Skoda in the same mess as Audi and VW ?

Yes - it's all the same company. Audi, VW, Skoda, Lamborghini, Seat, Bentley, Porsche, Ducati, and Bugatti. While the "mistakes" they made only affect cars with diesels (mostly 4 cylinder diesels from VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat as far as I can tell), the whole group will have to find the money to fix it.

the big problem for Audi-VW is they've scored a serious own goal with the US market so it will be difficult for them to repair the damage immediately

V8's can't see it happening because the rules dictate all the teams must agree unless there is a clause where the regulations not being agreed then Bernie makes a list of proposals and they can only deselect the ones they don't want and that means something like double points farce last year

If I was Ferrari I would only give Toro Rosso a Ferrari engine and make it explicitly clear that it is with Squadro Toro Rosso so Red Bull cannot wring it. I'd also say Manor freed up capacity which can only be replaced

If I was the other engine manufacturer's I'd moan about unfair competition between engine suppliers and that the agreed teams were 3 and only extra for special circumstances.

I don't understand why we can't just have a limit on fuel used during a race and let the teams run whatever they want for an engine. Wouldn't it be interesting seeing what teams came up with?

That's not a bad idea. I that scenario we are fine with V8s being allowed as long as fuel levels and burn rates stay as is.

Good luck to the V8 cars attempting to finish the race!

Bernie has been saying this since before the V6 Turbos even came online. He looks more foolish every day now and anybody who takes him at his word does so at their own peril. The old coot doesn't have nearly the clout that he would like people to think.

Back
Top Bottom