Double Points in the Final Race

As Jim Bowen would say "And what do you do for a living young man?" "I'm a formula one driver Jim." "Lovely marvelous smashing great look at what you would 'ave won MOOOOOOOOOOOW." "That's okay Jim I didn't want a ****ing speedboat anyway I live at Church Flatts farm, near Coton in the Elms in Derbyshire and it's ****ing miles from the sea."

Last edited:
Don't like the idea of doubling points for a race. If they have to do it though I would prefer it if the drivers could pick a "joker" round (like you get a quiz). It would be more interesting to see where drivers chose to use it. They could chose to use it at a track they normally go well at - but then could have a retirement.

Whole thing seems crazy to me. The amount of times you hear someone saying that everyone wants to win Monaco, its so special but its still the same amount of points as the rest of the season.

EDIT: The "joker" round could be called playing their "Bernie"!

Last edited:
Be thankful, we could have had shortcuts or sprinklers, or maybe both. ROFL

Thank God here in NZ we get full coverage of the entire Indy Car season and also every NASCAR race. The US is starting to look sane. Yikes, I never thought I'd say that.

Last edited:
You will know the apocalypse is not that far away when gophers start appearing up through the racing surface and the safety car comes out and there is Bill Murray in full Caddyshack garb stroking them from the passenger seat with M1A1 carbine ....

All joking aside, I always thought F1 in it's purist form was about rewarding the best driver and best constructor, not the luckiest. You would think considering next year will have the biggest technical regulation changes in over a decade, sensible minds would leave other aspects of the sport alone until they see what effect the new engines and aero regulations have on the seasons outcome. Oh, silly me, I mentioned sensible minds!!!!!!! :(

Last edited:
I suspect we're going to see even more stringent application of Team Orders as a result of this double-points thing, as title contenders attempt to get the WDC sewn up before the "final race bonus" comes into play. Expect lots of "do not hold x up" and nIFTY radio messages this year.:rolleyes:
Are you seriously telling me that teams won't factor this into their strategic planning for the season?:whistle:
Gimmicky nonsense - I'd rather they scrapped Free Practice or drew the grid from a hat, if they want to improve the "show":crazy:

Nonsense really! The half decent ideas are only 'in principle' to be quietly dumped, while the bonkers ones are set in stone. >:(

I could have, slightly, understood if they had decided to increase the points by 50% after race 7 and by the other 50% after race 13.
This would have been a way to keep the teams looking to develop the cars all the way to the end; but not just 1 race to contrive a finale!

Why not have done with it, and give the last race winner 450 points (18x25) so all the rest are just for show and it's always a decider?

The race numbers is just a way for the drivers to have an extra marketing tool to earn more, as they are obviously all skint?
Awwwww, poor lambs! :bawl:

One effect would be to force teams to develop their car further into the year to ensure they pick up maximum double points, whereas currently a failing team can drop back and concentrate on the next year. So effectively the double points system will end up costing teams more in development. Maybe.

Does anyone think they should have really floated these ideas on the general public and fans and gauge their reactions before setting such bonkers rules in stone?

I'm wondering how they are going to regulate a budget cap and what it applies to in terms of car production.

That would bring us back to the old debate of which set of fans they should be consulting.

God forbid they should ask casual fans their opinions about anything to do with how motorsport should be run.

But how would they in practical terms make a distinction between the devoted petrolheads who know about their motorsport culture from casual fans who tune in to F1 every now and then before switching on to Eastenders to strictly come dancing in no particular order of preference? (or something)

While it may be gimmicky it is actually a good idea to increase viewership (if they actually go ahead with the rule). The potential press coverage and number of casual fans who would tune in to watch a title deciding final race far outweighs the amount of 'purists' who would switch off.

Precisely, and herein lies the problem.
The purist s are a secure market. They might grumble, but they're muchmore likely to tune in or attend no matter what.
The casual viewers are the only ones that are worth seeking for the money-men.
And since the money is primarly generated by TV exposure Bernie would be perfectly happy to stage Grand Prix on tracks with empty grandstands - as long as the local governments hosting them are prepared to foot most of the costs.

Classic tracks eh, who needs' em?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom