Did McLaren Jump the Gun with Pérez?

Selective quoting by highlighting text unfortunately isn't possible with this software, so I do sympathise.

You can click Quote and then just manually delete the bits you don't want.

Brogan and Kamui-FastestChefInTheWorld

"Selective quoting by highlighting text unfortunately isn't possible with this software, so I do sympathise."

Um .. yes it is, in a way. I do it all the time to maintain a consistent format in Rooters. Here's how:

Place your cursor at the start of the piece of text you want, then as you would do editing a Word document highlight it with a left click, hold and drag to the end of it and release.
Right click and select copy from the popup menu.
Place your cursor in your new post box, right click and select paste from the popup.
The piece of text is now in your post and you can draw attention to the originator using the @name method.

Apologies for writing it in the form of an "idiots guide", no offence intended. Just wanted to be as clear as possible.

Better to use the quote feature and then edit it down IMO. It helps to visually separate the quote form the post, making it easier to read, and also allows the quote to show the header referencing the user and the original post. there is also the alert feature which is triggered by the use of the quote feature.

I was very disappointed they didnt sign Raikonnen. That would have kept the McLaren edge of having 2 world champion drivers. And Kimi could lead them to the title next year. I doubt Button or Perez can.

I think that maybe McLaren wanted to sign Räikkönen but he's happy where he is and had no interest of signing to McLaren.

Josh

That's one rumour I never heard! Personally, I was not surprised to see Perez signed. Despite his level of performance this season, he seems like more of a Kovalainen than a Hamilton.....

I think they jumped the gun. This appointment is to one of the most coveted seats in F1, they had no need to rush. I like Perez and I think he shows potential, but already the pressure of the appointment seems to be getting to him, it will be a lot worse next year when he's actually in a Mclaren. And Whitmarsh has recognised this potential problem.
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...w-if-Sergio-Perez-is-a-potential-title-winner.

So maybe Whitmarsh himself now thinks they jumped the gun. There were signs that pressure gets to Perez earlier in the year, the time he went off chasing Alonso down. When the team came on the radio it spooked him into a mistake. Kimi would just have said 'leave me alone' ROFL
Kimi is much better equipped to deal with that role.....and all the little intricacies that will go with it. But as someone else, he's been there done that and maybe didn't want to repeat it.

racecub - I don't know how you read that into what Whitmarsh said?!? Seems to me he is being honest and that they are trying to prepare Perez for the pressure and expectations, about the same as you'd do to any driver from a lower team coming into one of the big 2. Remember, even Lewis had that coaching..

I'm not criticising Whitmarsh, I'm saying he realises what he's taken on, perhaps I worded it badly. Of course Lewis needed coaching, he was a rookie, but they had Alonso in the other car then. Anyway this isn't about Lewis, lets leave him out of it.

but they had Alonso in the other car then. .

And McLaren have Button in the other car. He knew full well what he's taken on before he signed the contract.

Most drivers go through a period of crash bang wallop (Vettel??). I personally think it's a lot to do with the inconsistencies in Sauber being a podium challenging car one week and the struggling to make the top 10 the next. Perez is fast and he is probably expecting his car to be better than it often gives him and catches himself out. He'll need time to settle in no doubt but he's a very capable driver and I'd be very suprised if he's not a championship contender if the car/team is behind him.

But I don't think Perez will be completely compliant. He's stuck up for himself a couple of times this year. I think he'll only take so much. Kimi of course would have taken nothing. So yes, I see your point Brogan.

I think the issue is, if Button can't perform more consistently next year than he has this year, then Mclaren are going to need Perez to score big points. As next years car is an evolution of this one, its unlikely it will change radically. That's a lot of pressure on Perez. If he has to cope with the mind games on top of that I think he could be in for a tough time. I say again, I like Perez and think he has a lot of potential, but he's only 22. It was suggested in 2010 that Button was entering the lions den. Well I think that was a pussy cats cage compared to what Perez maybe experience.

Whitmarsh said he believed that DiResta was too old compared with Perez, but IMO Hulkenberg would have been a better choice to replace Lewis. Unfortunately Nico doesn't have the richest man in the world backing him.

Back
Top Bottom