Did McLaren Jump the Gun with Pérez?

Who knows? They're both good drivers, not much between them, whichever adapts best to the environment will be the better choice.

I would say that Perez' peaks have been higher than Nico's, even if his troughs have also been deeper. On that basis McLaren may feel they can complement some natural speed with consistency. But many of these characteristics turn out to be more due to car than driver.

The words Whitmarsh used were something like, he is a young driver who we can bring on and make into a top driver and not one who was groomed for the seat from a very early age like Lewis was.

From that I get the feeling they want a subservient driver to Button in which case that is exactly what they will get, and therefore have not made a mistake as they can now put all their efforts behind one driver for the championship which lets face it is what most people on here have been saying is where they have been going wrong in the last three years.....

Let us see if they get rid of the central joint engineering station in the garage for next year...

Perez may be quicker than Button, we'll have to wait and see. If that's the case Mclaren will have a conundrum on their hands. They had a fast driver and a slower one and bent over backwards to favour the slower one. Then they bring in an inexperienced one, favour the experienced one over him and the inexperienced one is faster. what a mess. Treating them equally until a natural leader emerges might be a more sensible ploy. But this is McLaren. Then again, they may surprise.

Well he's young relatively cheap to employ and will do what he is told because he has his dream drive and a chance of a future world championship, both sides will be more than happy..

I actually think Perez was a good choice,though as someone else said he's been somewhat erratic since McLaren signed him. I'm sure he's delighted,but I just hope he gets a fair crack of the whip.

Seems a bit much to suggest Di Resta is being 'put in the shade' by Hulkenberg. This season Hulkenberg leads 9-8 in qualifying and edges Di Resta by 5 points in the drivers standings.

Maybe 'in the shade' is a bit over the top but it certainly seems from the last few races that after struggling against him to start with he seems to have mastered him.

Paul is doing a lot of press about how he feels he should have a top drive but really I think he should be concentrating on his result. I don't really believe potential wise he's much behind Hulkenberg but F1 is a results business and if Paul gets beat by his team mate two seasons running people will start to wonder.

Rumour has it that Hulkenberg is Sauber bound next season
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/286390/mallya-names-sutil-as-2013-driver-option/ “I offered an extension to both drivers,” Mallya, Team Principal and Managing Director, confirmed to Reuters. “I hear from the media that Nico has signed with Sauber…well, if he has, then good luck to him. I have not been officially notified by Nico of anything; he hasn't sat down with me and told me that. I would expect that he would if he was on his way. I have an excellent relationship with him; he's a wonderful guy and he's done well for us, but I won’t stand in his way.”

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103922

This confirms what I heard Whitmarsh say in that they have brought Perez in on the understanding that he will be fighting for the WDC upfront.

This is a much better attitude than wanting a subservient team mate for all involved. Perez at McLaren will have a very short amount of time to prove himself and McLaren typically (as we saw with Lewis) will only give a driver a seat if they can get podiums/wins from the day one which I believe Perez will almost certainly do.

Vettel in his early days at RB had the reputation of crash test dummy and still won a WDC. Perez may be erratic but despite this he is superb at overtaking and whilst he may not get the WDC in year one, I think there is a potential for him to match/beat Button and McLaren have done well in nabbing him before another team reap the benefits.

Best get 'em young and not quite ready when you've got that constant (Button) in the team. Remember he is about (we can only assume) to be given one of the best cars on the grid and I'm quite excited by what he'll do with that.

If nothing else, McLaren are in the best position to pay for any damage caused :)

Back
Top Bottom