Did McLaren Jump the Gun with Pérez?

Il_leone …… Absolutely. Prost virtually admitted with a smirk that he may have turned in a little earlier in their first coming together. He clearly did as the footage showed. He knew he had the support of his fellow Frenchman, Balestre, and took full advantage of that. He cost Senna the title that year and Senna made sure he wasn't going to do the same the following year so he took him out. It was one of the most ill tempered relationships between two drivers we've ever seen and quite frankly Balestre should have done more to prevent it but he was of course French so enough said. It's more than unfair to lay the blame with Senna and accuse him of cheating. Cheers Il_leone, I'm glad you can see the obvious, i'm surprised others can't also.

Last edited:
You CANNOT excuse Senna's behaviour at Suzuka in 1990, no matter what. Turning in early at the chicane is at an absurdly slow speed. Spearing across the track at Turn One at Suzuka is ludicrously dangerous, especially in 1990 cars.

Gracious me, Piquet Jr. (Singapore 08), Grosjean (Spa 2012) and Schumacher (twice) were crucified for doing much lesser versions of elements of what Senna pulled on that instance.

If you want to open a Senna Vs Prost thread Kewee then be my guest and I shall gladly debate the subject with you but I shall not argue my take on the matter on a thread which quite clearly has absolutely zero to do with that pair...

I wasn't wishing to enter into a debate regarding Senna/Prost, I was just responding to Il_leone.
My views of who was the antagonist during those years changed completely after seeing the Senna movie. The only additional comment I can make is to compare Senna's behavior to Alonso's who became the sports bad boy for many. Senna wins that one hands down, Alonso has never endangered any other driver on track, Senna's behavior was appalling. I mean no disrespect with this comment but death frequently softens peoples memories of someone and often leaves their memory somewhat elevated compared to how they may have been remembered had tragedy not intervened. For me personally Senna was one of the greats who reacted with typical latin temperament that we've seen in other latin drivers during their careers.
Mephistopheles you should remember it was you who took this thread off topic with your comment about a tired old quote made by a known cheat .:ermmm:

Last edited:
Uhh no it wasn't Kewee if you look back I think you will find I was simply quoting someone else and disagreeing with them, my disagreement of a quote needs no further expansion unless it was to say you disagree with my disagreement, which is fine we all have our own opinions, do we not?

Last edited:
Whitmarsh called hid drive "Disappointing." as I mentioned in another thread..

He drove well, he scored the teams only points, he didn't crash. For Whitmarsh to say the driver that did that was disappointing yet the driver that had a collision, finished out of the points and followed with ifs buts and maybes got all that praise is quite frankly... disappointing.

I suspect Whitmarsh was actually talking about Jenson's afternoon, which was (to be fair) disappointing- even Jenson admitted so.

Edit: just read the BBC article about Magnussen - I stand corrected! :embarrassed: They do make a pretty compelling case...

Last edited:
Hamberg
Considering Button was only 12 seconds behind him after damaging his wing on lap 1 and having to change it with a slower strategy 1 stop ..it means Perez was actually very poor because Button made up nearly 1 lap on him

There was no safety car either and with Force India;s on 1 stop and Hamilton struggling .... then Perez on faster two stop could have done a lot better

Back
Top Bottom