Did McLaren Jump the Gun with Pérez?

I reckon Checo ought to be credited with some of the best overtakes of the year. Perhaps even three of the top 5. After Monaco, for anyone to suggest that Checo is "not a racer", seems a very far stretch to me. He is one of the most opportunistic drivers out there and is becoming more and more polished all of the time. He is looking more the endurance racer that F1 requires all the time but he still hasn't lost his sprint racing instinct.

Last edited:
It's not one fifth place, it's just reinforcing what us that believe him already believe and using the most recent piece of proof.

Actually I'm quite pleased that people are bigging up Perez it only makes Jensons position as a top class driver even stronger, not that there is any doubt about Jensons brilliance for a lot of people including me...

Last edited:
As with EN I enjoyed his Monaco performance. Didn't always get it right but showed he's got an instinct that with a bit of taming and restraint we saw in India can be rather special.

Nah, he completely bollocksed up Monaco and he managed to piss off a lot of drivers at the same time..

Why is it that all the experienced drivers didn't do what he did? Answer because they know that at the end of the day they will be out of the event, which is exactly what happened to him.

Monaco isn't a race it is a showcase for the sport so that the rich and famous can get their mugs on the telly, drivers aren't expected to race around there they are expected to parade around and not cause trouble....

Last edited:
I don't know if that refers to my comments but his 5th place means little to me. He's a racer and he races and I felt the need to defend him on that count. I think he raced his way to that 5th place. I no longer watch for the competition. There really isn't much. I watch for the few drivers who refuse to accept that. Even Lewis looks resigned to whatever his car is capable of on the day.

[EDIT] Oooops. I'm a page late with my comment. Missed thae pagination and that we had moved on. As you were, people.

Last edited:
Mephistopheles

I think the drivers were pissed off at Perez' audacity but isn't audacity a positive trait in a racing driver? Kimi late closing the door and, IMO, causing a collision and Alonso straight lining the chicane was more testament to their inability to realise they had been busted by their own institutionalised complaceny. A complacency that is borne of a common belief that overtaking only happens in designated areas and tht nobody would be cheeky enough to try anything unorthodox, let alone with success and on them.

It really wouldn't be doing anyone any favours to argue the pro's and cons of overtaking at Monaco and the blame game on who was right and who was wrong about that particular race the only fact is that Perez exited the race due to his own over exuberance and it isn't the only race he failed to finish by not being circumspect in his own driving and ability..

Monaco was a single race and not a particularly flattering one for him and so I look at the whole picture and that tells me he is good but not WDC materiel, but even that isn't the question being asked the question is basically would McLaren have scored more points if they had hired a different driver and I think they would have and so they did jump the gun by giving him a drive...

Hamberg
No they have not announced Button yet but it seems like by virtue he is a world champion and the lead Mclaren points scorer this season they will keep him... I think he would cost a bit to pay off his final year anyway much more than Perez

Perez on the other hand is suppose to be Hamilton's replacement - certainly by Mclaren standards he does not stand out as the "The Next BIG Thing" whoops :oops: that's a cliche that was tagged to Hulkenberg

I would say that it was Kimi's cynicism rather than Sergio's over-exuberance that put Perez out of Monaco. Sure, he could have avoided it by not going for the move but then all can avoid a collision by following each other round in a line. Once Perez had committed to the move the only person who could make a decision as to whether there would be a collision or not was Kimi. Kimi chose a collision over relinquishing that position. Sure, Perez him in that position, and good on him for it. That is racing.

"The moment you see a gap and you do not go for it, you re no longer a racing driver". Someone very famous said that once.

Back
Top Bottom