Did McLaren Jump the Gun with Pérez?

He's driven his heart out most races but his desire to get ahead has got him scrapes as it's not yet F1 mature racing, so he's learning to drive with the big boys and learning from his mistakes, what's wrong with that?
He qualified well, he raced well, he overtook two world champions in one move which was superb.

Credit where it's due please. That's McLarens best result this year is it not? Now it's no biggy?

Why were the tyres dodgy?

Last edited:
As I tried to point out on another thread. Perez didn't do anything wrong and was spot on but trying to make out he drove out of his skin for it is a little over the top.

It was the tyre strategy and the improved Mclaren that led to the big result and I have no doubt if he hadn't got caught in someone elses accident at the first corner Jenson would have been there or there abouts as well.

Perez was spot on and credit to him but lets not transform this into super drive.

Hold on a minute, isn't everyone's good results about the tyre strategy and the car? If JB had qualified higher he wouldn't have been hit, another age old argument.

Equalled McLaren's best result, overtook two world champions in one move and made it work. No ones saying it was a super drive (as in out of this world) but it was good enough to show McLaren he can do it.

I think Hamberg your point would be more valid if you'd been praising Button for putting up the same sort of drives rather than suggesting he was being 'favoured' all the time.

Your Perez tinted glasses are showing.

It was a good drive Sergio well done bur he needs to show he can do that consistantly (like his team mate has been doing). One good result does not mask the fact JB has nearly tripple his points.

I'd already said it twice and its still factually correct Mephistopheles

RasputinLives Button is a world champion that has been in F1 for years, if he was driving like Perez I'd be calling for him to bugger off to indycar and I also expect him to rag the shit out of that car. I have praised Button when warranted but I haven't seen much that special this season.

Of course Perez needs to be consistent, do more of the last GP consistently and McLaren didn't jump the gun right?

Last edited:
Well that depends. If you honestly think Perez will get better results in next years Mclaren than Button and Hulkenberg would then no they haven't jumped the gun.

If you think both Hulkenberg and Button would out do Perez then the answer is still yes.

I know which side I'm coming down on. Sorry Sergio.

I rate Hulkenberg more than Perez yeah and on paper it's a way better pairing. But, I also think Hulkenberg is capable of battling with the big boys I think he'll give Button more problems.

McLaren hasn't done too well with two world class drivers in the same team.

Hulk and Button for the viewers, Perez and Button for McLaren.

Perez drove a good race keeping his nose clean for once . Now he has to do it again

Remember Hulkenberg has overtaken him in the championship scoring 38pts in the last 4 races before Sundary which is what Perez needs to do now to justify his seat

Hamberg Mclaren need to show more ambition than just Perez ... I thought their whole philosophy is they want "World Class Drivers" not "Solid Drivers"

Also try and convince Honda that you've got a winning combination --- I don't see it with Perez but then maybe will be proven wrong in the future

I think Perez is a world class driver of the future but not at the moment and McLaren would do well to nurture him with a solid driver bringing the consistent points in which is different to a number two who I would say Ferrari operate.

If you guys don't see any talent with Perez then fine but I do.

Button had done well at what?

This isn't the Perez vs Button thread is it?

Perez and Hulk is the Way forward I'd say. Button is just 'solid'. But Whitmarsh is conservative so don't expect to see Perez and hulk.

Last edited:
racecub. Yawn

Hamberg I didn't say I saw no talent in him I was simply saying the topic is 'did Mclaren jump the gun with Perez' and I'm afraid the answer is yes. Its become even clearer it should have been Hulkenberg. I've never said there wasn't a place for him in F1 just that Mclaren bet on the wrong horse.

Okay, not as much talent that I see. I would like to see Hulk in McLaren as a viewer but I wouldn't be surprised if he upsets what is potentially a nicely developing status. Hulk (think he's awesome) is a cocky arrogant little git. Uber confident.

We'll see. Hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom