Did Ferrari use team orders at Korea?

From what Mulder & Scully have worked out it doesn't look like a very convincing case. Realistically did it really make any different to the result? Alonso comes out behind Massa, at the restart Hamilton cocks it up at the first corner meanwhile Massa has let Alonso through after the saftey car line as "Alonso is faster than him" and Fernando is still 2nd. Vettel's engine goes pop, Alonso wins.

I read it this morning - he certainly does say that, after Alonso's stop was delayed, Ferrari told Massa to back up the pack to prevent him from losing any more places (than the one he lost to Hamilton).

As Keke has pointed out, Massa definitely didn't back anyone up. This doesn't mean he wasn't told to do so, of course...

If Ferrari did ask him to slow everyone else down but he didn't do we find ourselves in a similar situation to Mclaren in 2007 where the drivers are allowed to keep their points but, potentailly, Ferrari could be stripped of theirs - for Korea at least?

Seeing DC sitting in Mclaren's "Mission Control" at the last race you have to assume they have someone monitoring the pit to car transmissions of their rivals. Surely they would be creating merry hell if they heard anything untoward between Ferrari & Massa.

Galahad said:
I read it this morning - he certainly does say that, after Alonso's stop was delayed, Ferrari told Massa to back up the pack to prevent him from losing any more places (than the one he lost to Hamilton).

As Keke has pointed out, Massa definitely didn't back anyone up.

Thanks Galahad. So, the allegation has been printed, which presumably means whatever evidence Hughes gathered, has also been seen presumably by the editor of Autosport and the legal people, all of which are confident it stands up to scrutiny.

Galahad said:
This doesn't mean he wasn't told to do so, of course...

Now that I could believe! LOL

fat_jez said:
Galahad said:

As Keke has pointed out, Massa definitely didn't back anyone up.

Thanks Galahad. So, the allegation has been printed, which presumably means whatever evidence Hughes gathered, has also been seen presumably by the editor of Autosport and the legal people, all of which are confident it stands up to scrutiny.

Indeed the claim is referenced in the Editorial by Charles Bradley (Deputy Ed.)

It would seem that Hughes is spouting nonsence with no evidence whatsoever. Like most people what bugs me is why would somone like hughes print this (unless he wanted to be fired).

tooncheese said:
It would seem that Hughes is spouting nonsence with no evidence whatsoever. Like most people what bugs me is why would somone like hughes print this (unless he wanted to be fired).

Which is why I'm assuming there is no smoke without fire. If there was no proof, Ferrari could quite possibly sue over this.

If Ferrari didn't attempt to use Massa to back up Schumacher, then they are stupid.

Also, I doubt it had any effect on the race result.

Frankly, I just think Ferrari are now a soft target for this kind of allegation at the moment; think some of the F1 journalists are missing Max and the political rows they could sink their teeth into.

It's a bit like the John Terry story. Print it, get huge headlines and sell many papers, then 9 months later when everyone has forgotten about it, print an apology on the bottom of p. 23 in small type saying the whole thing was bovine excrement.

fat_jez said:
Which is why I'm assuming there is no smoke without fire. If there was no proof, Ferrari could quite possibly will sue over this.

Ferrari would sue him, anyone whos on bat will remember that ferrari threatened legal action against a website with only about 2000 members.

Well this story continues to confuse me.
There is no further mention of it online on any media site and Ferrari have not responded to the accusation.

What a very odd episode.

Perhaps this statement by Hughes, to which I found the link on the - cough - 606 forum, might clear up some of the confusion:

http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/3151

So it seems that it was the Grandprix.com journos who put the 'Team orders to back up the pack' spin on it. All Hughes was claiming (and he is adamant that his info came from within the team) was that they only intended to slow Massa down, thus preventing him from leapfrogging Alonso along with Hamilton.

Thanks, that clears it up a bit.

It's all very farcical though when team sources from within the garage admit they slowed Massa to implement team orders but they deny it officially.

Perhaps, although quoting from the magazine:

"As the problem unfolded the team was quick-thinking enough to use Massa to back up the queue out on track - thereby preventing more cars than just Hamilton's from taking advantage."

Not quite the same thing, but not worth arguing about either.

Back
Top Bottom