Current Daniil Kvyat

Daniil Vyacheslavovich Kvyat or Danny Kvyat to you and I seemed to come as a shock to some as Toro Rosso's choice for a race seat that prompted all sorts of money accusations however if people had been paying attention then it might have been less of a shock.

With Ricciardo being promoted to the A-Team it was only logical that Toro Rosso were going to promote one of their youth squad to the race seat and whilst Kvyat was not at the front of the queue in the fame stakes he certainly got there in the results stakes. At the begining of 2013 he was third in line to the throne sitting firmly behind the ever popular 'oh-my-god-he's-a-future-world-champion' Felix Da Costa and the 'oh-my-god-he's-the-talented-son-of-a-rally-driving-champ' Carlos Sainz Jr. Da Costa was to run with the big boys in the 3.5 series, Sainz Jr was to run in GP3 with races in the 3.5 series when he could whilst Danny was to run in GP3 and as a none points scorer in European F3. Da Costa proceded to throw away his hard earned reputation with a string of mediocre results and as the season went on he looked more and more out classed by Magnussen and Van Dorne. Sainz Jr went at it like a wild man and never failed to look quick, however he was a complete magnet for accidents and most of the time you were watching him coming back through the field after having a nose cone taken off. Our friend Kvyat on the other hand played the slowly slowly catchy monkey game with a quiet but firm start to his GP3 season he kept himself in contention whilst his team sorted out issues with his tyres and then when it came to the start of the second half of the season in Spa he went into overdrive. In a GP3 season that has seen around 10 different winners and the winners of the feature races just falling off the pace in the sprint race Kvyat turned it on its head by winning the last 3 feature races and coming through the field for points finishes in the sprint races. At some points he looked Vettel like untouchable. If you look at that and compare it with what Da Costa and Sainz Jr were doing at the time it shouldn't be a shock to anyone that Toro Rosso decided he was the guy to promote.

Its no doubt that 2014 will be a tricky year for him in F1, although the commentators pronouncing his name will have just as tricky a time (The V is silent apparently). He's come in with brand new rules, very little track time and is up against a much under rated teammate in Jean Eric Vergne who might just have a point to prove. Also as Kyvat has spent the last 2 years winning everything in sight (GP3 Champion in 2013, Formula Renault 2.0 champion in 2012) it will take some time to adjust to fighting in the middle of the pack. Doesn't seem to be the best qualifyer in the world but he does seem to be very cool and calm under pressure and if you give him a good car he gets the best out of it. He also has the Vettel like ability of coming good just as its squeeky bum time.

No doubt you'll spend most of the year hearing about how he is the second Russian to race in F1 and that he'll be looking forward to his home race, however Kvyat was actually born in Bashkortostan which is a soverign state and a subject of Russia. So its all a bit Scotland/Britian which makes him Russia's answer to Paul Di Resta (although he'd prefer you to say Jackie Stewart). He was only born in April 1994 (only about a week before the death of Senna) which makes him not even 20 yet which always leaves the worry that he might crack under the pressure of it all.

It could be the Kvyat just becomes another name on the Red Bull failure list but don't think for a minute he hasn't earned his place in the team. I have a sneeky feeling he'll do better than a lot of people think he will do.

What do people think? Another Vettel or another Jamie Alguersauri?

Daniil in his defence was forced onto the grass by his teammate so was trying to get back on even terms but it just seems the team has seriously imploded as Sainz and Kyvat seems to be like magnets to each other each race

i dont see how you defend kyvat on that move yes he was on the grass but everyone knows much of test maggots & becketts is on your own & he had no chance side by side. ruined 4 peoples races + his own twice in 2 weeks (4 if you include weirlein)

although you have hand it to him. all this talk with max & sainz about how tough red bull contracts are to get out of. Kyvat has last 12mths making it look very easy to be released from a red bull contract

id heard rumours of this, this morning but eventually Toro Rosso has been confirmed that Pierre Gasly will make his debut at the Malaysian GP

Toro Rosso confirms Gasly for next races

you hate to say it as he's a nice guy. but its been coming he getting outpaced by sainz consistently, before that verstappen in the junior team was competing with kyvat in the senior team. in hindsight i think red bull the nasty team have been pretty nice in this instance. he got a year more than i wouldve given him. when you think buemi & vergne were arguably better drivers as proved post F1 & were got rid of quicker

they demoted not sacked him when it was the correct decision to promote Verstappen as Riccardio admits he's got pushed to a new level & more proof is here the last time he was discussed was 2 & 1/2 months ago because he torpedoed into his teammate

I've never seen a driver so badly thrown under the bus publicly by his own team bosses like Kyvat has for the last two years.. all that is missing is a knockout blow to tell him to clear off and seek pastures new

Il_leone i dont see that as i said i & think most f1 fans wouldve dropped kyvat for reigning F2 champion gasly in december / january so Red Bull for once & probally only time had been more generous than expected for him to get to October. he is been at a dead end for a while

i dont think anyone can realistically argue that kyvat was a better option than verstappen. he is so accident prone, i looked back & posted post Silverstone. kyvat ruined 4 peoples races & his own twice in 2 weeks

F1Brits_90 For some reason Dani has gone backwards after looking a bit more reinvigorated at the start of the season

Yes F1 is a jungle but the way the Red Bull management have treated him compared to Verstappen is part of the reason for his downfall

I can't agree, his driving has been his downfall. Red Bull have given him an exit from F1 that few others experience.

He got the Red Bull drive when Helmut thought he was the next Vettel overlooking poor Jean Eric Vergne who seemed to have burned his bridges or deemed past his sell by date at Red Bull despite performing well against Ricciardo.

The problem was the Red Bull was just about to enter its leanest spell for a nearly a decade which made things difficult to Danii. How quickly things change just 1 race after getting a podium with a brilliant opportunist move on Vettel in China which was praised for , he gets absolutely butchered the next race for slamming into Vettel twice...with no protection from his team

The only driver I remember suffering such an experience is poor Ivan Capelli who had a dream move to Ferrari turn into a nightmare as he struggled to live up to expectations and deal with the politics

Is it the end of Kyvat ? Possibly unless a series of unexpected events would suddenly have Red Bull scrambling for drivers

To actually get a Red Bull drive, he was treated far more favourably than anyone else ever to appear in Toro Rosso colours.

very true because buemi was much more talented driver for him it was 2 yrs, times up off you go, as proved afterwards especially formula e where he has been the best driver for last 3 years but bad luck & schedule clashes stopped clean sweep. WEC world champion & despite awful luck 2 le mans podiums

yes i feel for kyvat Il_leone because he was stuffed by horner & vettel. but it was verstappen politics because we all knew going into that season, red bull knew it was promote him or lose him as vultures were circling & they got their excuse in sochi

He's out for the rest of the season. According to media reports it seems unlikely that Toro Rosso will replace Gasly with Kvyat at the US GP. They don't care whether Gasly wins the Super Formula championship.

Back
Top Bottom