FIA Charlie Whiting RIP

If there was an F1 Hall of Fame, Charlie would be in it... making sure that it ran as smoothly as the races he directed.

The last of the Brabham team to run F1, but the first and youngest to die, RIP.
One wonders who the first driver in the heat of the moment will shout on his radio "did Charlie see that"

Last edited:
Woke up to the horrible news, poor Charlie. Condolenses to his family and friends, F1 is going to miss him terribly, it literally won't be the same without him.

Not only is this a sad and sudden loss of one of the nice guys, Charlie was a central figure in the running of F1 and I can imagine this will cause some problems short term at least.

I say all of this with the greatest respect for Charlie.

The FIA must now be in a flap looking for his replacement. He was a key figure on a race weekend. Race starter, rules maker, rule enforcer. the FIA need someone to do that role and fast. We are go for tomorrow.

They don't have time to morn or leave a respectful interval. They have the F1 circus to run.

It occurs to me that Paddy Lowe is looking for a job.

the news of Charlie Whiting passing is worse, by the fact that its really shocked everyone unlike hypothetically Bernie (im not killing him off) we never saw it coming we were all there just waiting for the racing to begin. what a lovely guy, a guy that we all feel that knew as he been the main guy & there starting every race that people under 40 can remember & i cant imagine anyone else starting an race. huge loss to F1 & ive loved reading all the lovely stories about from everyone. really hope that Liberty / FIA / F1 will have a minute silence for him before the gp on sunday as it would be only fitting

also for those on twitter probally know fake Charlie whiting. he left this touching tribute
charlie.jpg

Last edited:
Adam Cooper on Twitter" said:
Adam Cooper‏ @adamcooperF1

The @FIA has formally confirmed that Aussie V8 Supercars race director Michael Masi will take over Charlie Whiting's F1 responsibilities. He's also starter and safety delegate

Just seen the above, so the FIA have had to move swiftly for this weekend, whether he will keep the job long term or not who knows?

I would like to send a thought of comfort and condolences to Charlie's family, although I was often in disagreement with his decisions it is very sad that he passed away at such an early age

Last edited:
Terrible news on the eve of the new season. Charlie was so much more to F1 and the other FIA single seater categories than the public elements of his role on race weekends.

My best wishes to his family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom