Caterham (formerly Lotus)

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I see Fernandes is threatening to walk away from his football team now.

He's a serial buyer and destroyer. He should be banned from buying any other clubs/teams, before he destroys the entire sporting nation.
:(

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
With no clear idea who owns what and with a massive debt, they're gone. I'd like to feel sympathy for them (and certainly do for all of the staff effected by the closure) but it's not helped by the fact that they had so much potential and managed, for a number of reasons to balls it all up.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
You knew Lotus/Caterham weren't going to be any good when Mike Gascoyne turned up as technical director. How do these people keep getting jobs in the industry? It's like the circle of football managers when they get a team relegated, get the sack, turn up at another team just to get them relegated.

The Pits

Harumph. Again.
Valued Member
You knew Lotus/Caterham weren't going to be any good when Mike Gascoyne turned up as technical director. How do these people keep getting jobs in the industry? It's like the circle of football managers when they get a team relegated, get the sack, turn up at another team just to get them relegated.
They got so much better since he moved on.....

To be fair to Mike G, he may not be the best TD, but he had experience, and did ok at Jordan.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Was Mike Gascoyne still on Caterham's payroll at the time the team went into administration

- Whilst they are questions whether he is in Newey's league but he is a decent designer . He did good at Jordan and Renault. His stint at Toyota did not work out because he obviously felt the directions they were going in was not quite right for him

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Tony Fernandes - seems to have this persona that he is a very passionate businessman and is willing to invest . The trouble seems to be no one tells him or appears to advise the costs of failure if the results do not come

- Lotus/Caterham were going the right way but he realised it was too expensive just to earn $10m
- QPR - obviously the money every season is attractive but how did he think signing 29 players one summer on overpaid wages was going to transform his team??

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
It's like a drug isn't it? These guys just can't keep away even if they don't have the speed anymore.

soccerman17

Race Winner
Does it cost anything to "officially enter" if you already have a license to race? Because if not then why wouldn't they, even if they have no intents of actually racing?

F1Yorkshire

Avatar for sale to the highest bidder
Contributor
It's more likely the case of if they don't make an entry by a certain date then they won't be included so safer to have the entry in place just in case the administrators manage to get them out of the deep hole that they are in.

Top Bottom