Current Carlos Sainz

Carlos Sainz Jr (is he dropping the Jr now?) may be the first rookie to come into F1 already demoralised and thinking his team do not believe in him. Sainz was number 1 in the Red Bull Driver programme and completely aced his season in WSR 3.5 and pretty much cruised his way to the title. Despite all of this it must have been a crushing blow to him when it was announced that Max Verstappen, who had been in the Red Bull Driver Programme for 2 weeks, was announced at Toro Rosso F1. Sainz was not happy and his form did drop off probably out of pure frustration. However Vettel's sudden departure to Ferrari opened up another space in the Toro Rosso team but even then Red Bull waited a good 3 months before announcing Sainz in the seat.

In 2013 Sainz lined up in GP3 and was considered by some as the favourite for the championship. His team had major issues with the tyres early on which left them struggling and coming back from behind. Sainz never got on terms with the front runners that year which would not have been that big a deal had his team mate not been fellow Red Bull driver Danii Kvyat. Kvyat stormed from way back in championship to win the GP3 2013 title which of course led him to be bumped up to Toro Rosso F1 and now of course will be taking on the challenge of the main Red Bull team for 2015. It will hard for Sainz not to think of what might have been as going in to 2013 he was considered in front of Kvyat in the pecking order and had he had better form in 2013 it might be him sitting in that seat now. Sainz issue was that whilst he was quick he appeared to be an accident magnet. He would find himself in the pack and whilst he was exciting to watch with some great overtaking moves he would more often than not end up running into someone.

To Sainz's credit he went away over the winter and fixed all those issues and came back a far more complete driver to take on the WSR 3.5 2014 season. Whilst he had some great tussles with Mehri and Rowland his title was really not in any doubt. He was cool, calm and exceptionally quick which made it all the more of a shock when Red Bull passed him over for Verstappen. He got a reprieve with the drivers market shuffle which I happen to think has meant a great miscarriage of justice was averted as he really has shown his potential this year but you have to ask yourself what his attitude will be coming into a team he has to think don't really want him that much.

I'm hoping that all the politics will mean he will come in with a steely attitude to make Verstappen look like an amateur but I get the feeling he won't help but notice the sympathetic glances from JEV as they pass each other going through the revolving door of Toro Rosso. It appears that however good your results are in that team it all comes down to whether they rate your or not.

Are we looking forward to seeing Sainz or do we think he is a lost cause already?

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 12.05.18.png

RasputinLives Button went 4 teams in 4 years although Benetton changed to Renault

Its a multi year deal so 2 years plus an option to extend essentially. I think Carlos might thrive now given this new lease of life

Good luck to Sainz, I hope it's a great move for him. It could be the making of him.

As for Button, 4 teams in 4 years, wasn't there a time when he was signed with two teams at once? I recall something about him being signed to drive for Williams and then changing his mind and opting to move elsewhere or something like that, but alas I can't recall the details. I am sure someone else will though.

Angellica

Button because he was apparently owed bonus payments by BAR in 2004 for his performances. We are led to believe he was advised by his management to re-sign for Williams.

I was surprised given they had a poor season with Montoya wanting more money being paid 3 times less than R Schumacher and feeling that Williams deprived him of the championship challenge the previous year. So he signed for Mclaren for 2005 before 2004 season started, then Ralf after the 1st race was disputing over his contract demanding a further raise from his $12.5m to $17.5m a year. Also the walrus nose Williams was a poor car

Button got himself in a mess with BAR fighting for his services in 2005 which he was obliged to drive for and sacking his management . In 2005 having seen how bad Williams were he had to pay £18m to get out of the signed contract

Back
Top Bottom