Current Carlos Sainz

ATL11

Podium Finisher
Did watch the lead up programmes that Sky do before the race this evening & Mr Sainz looked rather sheepish when the pundits were asking about Melbourne whilst sat next to his eloquently team mate.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I don't know if some people think Carlos Sainz should stand up for himself more and pick a fight because its what Max Verstappen seems to want to do

Maybe Carlos can put him in his place when he gets the chance

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
Sainz' attempt to get back to the pits after his puncture was pretty dangerous today. I can't believe he attempted to rejoin twice after that incident.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I think the VSC serves its purpose perfectly and I'm not sure how he could say otherwise. It has the minimum impact on the race and allows for the re-start to take place almost as soon as the danger is cleared instead of having to wait another lap for the safety car to pull in.

RasputinLives

So Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Contributor
This all come down to the FIA suggesting that the VSC is used to 'neutralise' the race. It's impossible to neutralise the race, gaps are always going to change just like under the normal safety car. It just has less effect on bunching the pack up and wasting time sorting the field out for a restart.

The FIA do come across as a bunch of morons sometimes.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
The VSC works fantastically well in WEC racing. My take on the Sainz article is that he doesn't like it as it doesn't give him any advantage. Well boo hoo! Driver faster or get into a better car, Max managed it.

RasputinLives

Contributor
Sainz was my driver of the day in China this weekend. Most of the commentators will go with Verstappen for the flashiness but I think Sainz recovery drive after the early chance to slicks was outstanding. In the early stages he was pretty much on the back of the battle for 2ND place.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I agree with you RasputinLives. Sainz's drive will go under a lot of radars but he drove a great race.

Given there will be no space at the parent team any time soon he certainly needs to think about his next steps.

RasputinLives

Contributor
Il_leone I Don't think it was the gamble on slicks that helped him come top of the midfield at all. He was in the barriers at the first corner and at the back. He lost all he would have gained with safety cars and would have massively struggled to keep temperature in those slicks going at that speed and would have had older tyres by time the safety cars all went away.

I think the good result came from his natural feel for grip in those conditions. Just after the safety car he was the fastest man on the circuit, even putting in times faster than the senior team drivers who were getting all the credit.

I think Verstappen gets a lot of praise and rightly so but I think sometimes the media (I'm looking at you David Croft) are very keen to lavish him with it to the point that other, seems especially Sainz, Don't get the credit they should be getting.

cider_and_toast I think you might be right and I think the answer might be Renault. However Danny Ric seems very downbeat this season and I just have an inkling he might feel like he's being pushed out at Red Bull and depart.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Sainz stock will remain high if he keeps performing like he did on Sunday but Kyvat is definitely a lot closer to him than last year so Carlos will need to be on his toes

Toro Rosso drivers average stay with the team is 3 years so either Helmut decides to push Carlos to partner Max again or he has to be prepared to lose him to other teams on the grid

The Ferrari drive might be an option given the Mercedes drive may only be an outside shot to him given the other drivers possibly available

The Renault drive is attractive if the team improves as expected...

I just don't see Carlos staying at Toro Rosso beyond this season

Rutherford

Podium Finisher
After yesterday's crash he is getting closer to the 12 point mark within a 12 month period - currently 7, which as a consequence will result in a one race ban.

Top Bottom