BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
"0912: Back to the new F1 TV deal for a moment. BBC Sport's Ted Kravitz has been speaking to Bernie Ecclestone and here's what the F1 boss had to say: "It's super for F1. It will mean a lot more coverage for the sport. There'll be highlights as well as live coverage on two different networks now so we get the best of both worlds." When asked whether he felt it was a shame a terrestrial broadcaster would no longer be showing every race live he said: "It was not us who made that decision"."

From the BBC website, what does that mean when Bernie says it wasnt us that made the decision?!

This deal is a million miles better than it going to Sky full stop because it still means new fans and fans that can't afford to pay for it can watch half the races for free. This doesn't mean I agree with it but lets not make out it's the worst thing that could have happened. It actually works quite well for the Champions League in Football where ITV shows a couple of matches on each Wednesday and Sky show the rest.

I think Ofcom should add F1 to their listed sport events that must be shown on free-to-air TV in some regard as there is nothing stopping it from going to Sky completely in the future with no highlight shows or anything. When you consider that F1 is one of the very few things the UK still excels at - both in terms of engineering and drivers - this would seem like an appropriate move. The current Ofcom list is (from the knowledge monster wikipedia):

Category A - must be shown live free-to-air

Football FIFA World Cup
Football UEFA European Championships
Football FA Cup Final
Football Scottish Cup Final (Scotland Only)
Horse Racing Grand National
Horse Racing Epsom Derby
Rugby League Challenge Cup final
Rugby Union World Cup Final
Tennis Wimbledon Means and Womens finals
Athletics Olympic Games

Category B - highlights or similar must be shown free-to-air

Athletics World Championships
Cricket Test Matches played in England
Golf Open
Golf Ryder Cup
Rugby Union World Cup (excluding final)
Rugby Union Six Nations
Tennis Wimbledon Championships (excluding finals)
Athletics Commonwealth Games

Even just sticking the British Grand Prix in there somewhere, but I think F1 is high profile enough to be on the list. Every other major sport in the UK is on there and I'm pretty sure F1 viewing figures are competitive at least with the majority of things on the list, certainly if you take the major international football tournaments out of the picture?

Also, this is caused by budget cuts so it's the banks and the tories we should be complaining to really, not the BBC.

No more Martin Brundle, this just gets ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, he has said on twitter he is out of contract
Well done BBC. Shameful.

According to Andrew Benson's (the BBC's sports website bloke) twitter account, Berie said that it wasn't his decision (to give the contract to sky). Hmmmm....

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/bbc-...ll-be-on-sky-from-2012.3016/page-6#post-68505

Yes, F1 should absolutely be Category 1 on the "protected" list.

Watching the BBC isn't free. Everyone on the UK with a TV pays a license fee - which creeps inexorably up every year (150 quid in 2012?). On top of that is renting my TV and Broadband "top box" from Virgin. Like many people in my pay bracket I'm maxed out with all the things I have to pay out for every month. I don't intend to switch my digital channel provider to Sky and can't afford to even if I wanted to.

What it must be like for people earning less than me, I just can't imagine. So, sorry, there's no good news in this for most us and certainly not for me.

For the same reason as football fans pay for Sky Sports just to watch football.
I think RickD's referring to Sky's wall to wall football coverage that swamps the channel. They'll have to go some to give F1 that level of airtime. So most of our subcription will prop up their football coverage. Mind you I like boxing and haven't seen a premier bout live in years!

That will be Bernie throwing some scraps to the teams and their sponsors

He'll have to throw more than scraps to the teams when the sponsors realise the viewing figures have dropped massively and think 'why are we paying this much to get our name on a car when the audience has now halved?'
Ridiculous decision, expect Pay-Per-View within 5 years, if not sooner. Then F1 will die a slow death.

At the fans forum the question was asked would people pay to see F1 and 2/3rds (including me) said yes. But I already have Sky so it's a matter of upgrading, taking out a completely new deal is a different thing altogether. It's not on. Not on at all.

I think one part of what encouraged Bernie to get it to Pay TV was the viewer audience from outside the UK... Local broadcasters that paid good money for the rights cannot compete with the coverage BBC offers for free throughout almost the whole of Europe. Anyway, as a Belgian F1-fan, I'm very disappointed, because UK coverage is a dream compared to ours.

Apparently there won't be. Also, the teams are seeking clarification on the f1 deal (it may not be over yet) and I've just written an extremely long-winded complaint to thee BBC, it probably won't make much difference, but it may answer some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom