BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
A major coup for Sky - pressured revenue from a mainly new stream, a huge failing by BBC in order to free up budget for extending Eastenders, or something as equally culturally vacuous.

Like many I suspect I will groan and complain and review the potential to extend my sky subscription, I just hope that if we remove our aerial we can get the licence fee back - I struggle to see where the BBC adds value any more, News is more of a dumbed down chat show, sports is on sky, entertainment is bought in and I find Eastenders offensive to my species, and dancing shows are like a ball..... pointless!

>:(>:(>:(

BBC Sport Director Barbara Slater
“With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers.”

Hmm well this isn't entirely accurate, how can they cover "all" the action when they're only showing highlights for all the races, I've seen BBC highlight programs before and much of what I would consider worth watching is cut from these shows.

I fit means forking out for Sky Sports then I too won't be watching it.

I don't watch football and already pay Sky £60 per month so I'll be damned if I'm going to spend any more.

Extremely disappointing news and a terrible decision by the BBC to get rid of one its highest watched programs all so they can save the endless banal period dramas and reality shows.

Just working from the dark here.

Anyone think the 10 races Sky will show will be at unsociable hours, with the BBC highlights at the usual times?

What annoys me more than anything is that BBC are trying to make it out as though its a good thing. Can you imagine if next season is anything like this season how many overtakes are going to be missed through ad breaks!

I agree. How the hell they can bare faced lie and go on about how great a thing this is astounds me. It's corporate propaganda to save face. I really hope there's a massive shitstorm stirred up over this and the people can make a difference. Half the races and some highlights? Ooooohh thanks!......for NOTHING guys.

For those not wishing to fork out towards the devil's corportation hopefully I suppose there will be some half-decent foreign live streamng broadcast we'll be able to log on to with the sound off and the radio on?

"Button is chasing down Vettel for the lead!! He is within half a second now!!! (cut to ad break).Button takes the chequered flag!!!!! That, my friends, is what you can look forward to.

The Beeb have confirmed what is happening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

Only races they are showing live on TV will be streamed on the website. So much for Bernie's free to air promise, I'm damned if I'll watch highlights of a race I already know the results for and even more damned if I have to shell out for Sky Sports.

Hope Bernie's ready for his viewing figures to take a huge nose dive in the UK. I can see 7-8 million becoming a tenth of that on Sky Sports. Oh and don't even think of coverage over running if there's a big football match on afterwards...

Disgusting.
Just watch the viewing figures:
BBC - MILLIONS
SKY - THOUSANDS
Total lack of sense. The teams will lose out, and the viewers will lose out. The only winner is Bernie (and Rupert Murdoch).
At least we can be thankful that free-to-air is on the BBC, and not ITV. But the sky sports move is disgusting.

Chad, just out of interest, what is the minimum outlay for F1? Sky Sports is an additional package is it?
I pay £14.50 a month on top of my Virgin Media phone/broadband/TV package to get Sky Sports 1. A Virgin Media TV service on its own, without phone line, would cost £12.50 a month. Sky Sports 2 would cost another £14.50, but then it would be cheaper to switch to the whole bundle of Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 & 4 for £22.50. And if I wanted to see both in HD, that would set me back another £7.

Sky just announced record profits off their ten million customers too...so hang on, they have 10 million subscribers right? So that means to get anything like the viewing figures on the BBC this year they're going to need 70-100% of their entire customer base watching the F1 every race weekend? Dream on.

I want to scream right now. :givemestrength::censored::givemestrength::censored::givemestrength:

I have woken up and feel disgusted at the news that Sky will be getting involved with F1. An how only half the races will be on BBC. I sincerely hope there can be a huge fans protest about this so that the BBC actually see how much they've upset the whole F1 community because at the moment they seem disillusioned into thinking its a good thing they've kept it. Sure everyone has enjoyed the BBC coverage, but the main thing everyone wants to see is the damn action!

The main thing im worried about is the BBC losing people like Martin Brundle to sky. . . :( I really am enjoying his commentary this year and have always loved his grid walks, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom