BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
This to me seems like the rumor that won't go away, which makes me believe there's at least some truth in it. It would make sense if the BBC just needed to reduce costs. (Although the radio services could be cut down alot without affecting people too much I feel).

If the BBC are looking at cutting F1, could it be parlty for image and to stop people saying 'What about the F1 being broadcast from around the world?' when told that their favourite radio station has got to go?

I don't know who would agree but I'm not sure what we really gain from the BBC having people there when anything happens. ('there' being a sporting event, flood, lost cat etc) Would you feel as though we are missing out on something if the presenting and/or commentary was down from as studio in the UK?

Bernie wants £200 million for, I think, a 5 year contract so £40 million a year. Problem is what do the BBC get for it? Not like they can sell advertising is it? And then they have to send Jake, EJ, DC, Brundle and the rest of the team around the World. Maybe C4 might step in, they did a pretty good job of covering the cricket before Sky snaffled it up.

Brundle said yesterday that there was some truth to the rumour and the BBC are struggling with some issues.
I'll see if I can find the link.

As for scrapping CBBC!
Maya loves it a lot more than she does BBC3 or BBC4, which quite frankly we haven't watched for years.

So in addition to dumping those 2 channels, also get rid of most of the radio channels, including Radio 1 which is just dross.
Chris Moyles' and Jonathan Ross' salaries alone will probably pay for a few years of F1.

Then get rid of the pointless reality shows such as Strictly Come Dancing, X-Factor, all period dramas which are just banal and painful and the ridiculous turd that is Doctor Who.

Oh and don't buy any of those dreadful Harry Potter films.

That ought to do it.

You can all thank me later.

And F1 related, getting rid of Sarah Holt, Andrew Benson and Eddie Jordan might save a few quid ... and a fair bit of hot air too

Then get rid of the pointless reality shows such as Strictly Come Dancing, X-Factor, all period dramas which are just banal and painful and the ridiculous turd that is Doctor Who.

You do realise that that "ridiculous turd" not only is the highest rated non serial drama on TV, and it actually makes money for the BBC - that is it raises more money through international sales and merchandising than it costs to produce! So scrapping Doctor Who (As an example) would actually mean that the BBC were less able to pay for GP racing.

Personally, I suspect that this rumour is an attempt to get Bernie to lower his prices!

Reactions: mjo
I must admit, I got Sky Sports 1 a few months ago mainly for my son's benefit. Now that he's about to go away to college, I was going to cancel my subscription. I guess I'll just have to wait a while and see how their coverage goes.

The problem is, even apart from the prospect of adverts, if Sky follow the same tactic as they do for football (and there's no reason to suppose they won't) they are quite likely to deliberately split their coverage over Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2, so you can't get the full package of races without paying for both channels. If they do that then I will definitely cancel in protest.

The Beeb probably couldn't afford the cost of the last two years of their original contract, and will save a fortune not sending idiots like Humphrey half way round the world for races at ungodly hours when the viewing figures are low
...... so, for them, fantastic.

Sky will broadcast everything (practises, quali and race) so they can claim to be THE main broadcaster for Formula One in the UK, and it will draw in quite a bit of advert revenue, while I expect they will be less extravagant with the travel budget
...... so, for them, fantastic.

For the F1 fans in the UK? .......... yeah, shit news :(

The BBC will be covering the Monaco GP, British GP and the season finale. Well I don't have Sky currently and it wouldn't be up to me if we got it, so I'm in a bit of a pickle >:( I wonder if some of the BBC staff will move to Sky's team like Martin Brundle did from ITV.

Damn; I've never had any intention of getting Sky for any purpose before, but would more than likely cough up for F1.

With the deal being from 2012, I won't have any option.

Guess it's back to decades gone by and highlights only for me.

Funny how some on BBC see this as a good thing:
Andrew Benson tweet:
BBC extends F1 rights deal to 2018, in joint deal with Sky. BBC to show 10 races incl GB, Monaco and final one; Sky all http://t.co/stwVnJ7

Chad, just out of interest, what is the minimum outlay for F1? Sky Sports is an additional package is it?

I had a quick look just now and it looked more expensive than I'm willing to fork out for. They say they're simplifying their packages from Sep 1.

Assuming they try and rip us off by placing the races on more than one Sky Sports channel, I just saw that they're advertising that you can get them all for under £40 a month... No way I'm paying £20 a race and there isn't even GPs on for 3-4 months of the year.

The BBC should have kept all the races or made a commitment to cut costs and leave all the races, what sense is there in covering half a sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom