BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
As sad as i am that this has happened, i guess it's one of those things you have to accept is going to change. I don't think Sky will have the community feel that BBC has brought to F1, but i'm sure there will be other areas they might actually do better. Either way, it is the racing that we tune in for week after week.

Half way through next year though i may not have Sky anymore so god knows what i will do then. :(

Reactions: mjo
Great comments, but we don't officially know the 2012 team, so things can still change. I actually think that Brundle will stay with the BBC, as, when the Beeb took over, Brundle didn't officially want to be paired with Croft.

The big issue for me remains, and will do until its confirmed, Sky F1 HD being free with SS1 & 2 HD on Virgin Media.

Otherwise, I will be watching on the BBC, and highlights!

Sky are broadcasting adds saying the channel will launch free with HD package (£10.25 per month) in March 2012.

Again, its whether that "free" crosses across the broadcast border that interests me. It should do, but I want to see something definitive first.

If I have the choice and we have Brundle/Croft and not Jordan on Sky, I will be watching the races with them!

So you get it included if you subscribe to Sky Sports, Sky HD, or both. Also, having F1 on its own channel means there's no chance of coverage being cut short or moved around. I think the HD deal in particular is pretty good for existing non-HD, non-Sports Sky customers - £10.25 extra a month for the best HD service around by far and F1 to sweeten the deal. Even if F1 is all you want and you'll watch the rest of the races on BBC then that's only £1.25 per race.

Still expensive for non-Sky customers though, which no doubt will price some people out of F1 but at least a portion of all the races will make it to the BBC.

I'm starting to see the Sky offering as more and more attractive, in line with Sushi's comments above. Link that with the fact that I have little respect for J ake H and I'm quite looking forward to it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15893254.stm
WE DON'T GET CANADA
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only do we not get Canada - it's not provided for in their highlights package - For the Far East races, they have highlights at 2.00pm, for the European races, at 5.30 - There's no mention of what sort of time they show American races - I predict 10.00pm....

Mind, let's face it, Sky were never going to let the BBC have the top rated race (In terms of viewers and often racing).....

So you get it included if you subscribe to Sky Sports, Sky HD, or both. Also, having F1 on its own channel means there's no chance of coverage being cut short or moved around. I think the HD deal in particular is pretty good for existing non-HD, non-Sports Sky customers - £10.25 extra a month for the best HD service around by far and F1 to sweeten the deal. Even if F1 is all you want and you'll watch the rest of the races on BBC then that's only £1.25 per race.

Still expensive for non-Sky customers though, which no doubt will price some people out of F1 but at least a portion of all the races will make it to the BBC.

But therein lies the problem - in order to access it, you still need to pay something of the order of £500 extra per year... If you could JUST subscribe to a few channels (F1 HD and UK Gold and one or two others) for about £10-£15 a month I might be tempted, but the fact you need to buy so many irrelevant services drives me mad!

OK, purely unofficial, but I think Canada clashes with the Euros, BBC couldn't show 3 consecutive races, and it went 3 for BBC, 3 for Sky, then alternate. So if the Beeb picked Silverstone, Monza and Monaco, then it's perfectly conceivable that Sky picked Canada, Monza and Australia. I bet Bernie told Sky to launch a less expensive f1 channel to make the deal more attractive. All unofficial, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom