BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBC also had other considerations such as the Euros next summer, which clash with Canada.
Right there is the problem with the BBC.

I presume the "Euros" refers to football, which has always been their main priority.

But Sky will be sweating, too
Err, no, they won't.

Anyone who can watch any of the races on Sky will watch them all.
Why bother flipping back to the BBC for half of the races when there is a dedicated channel?

BBC's viewing figures will plummet next year, I suspect Sky's offer will be too appealing for a lot of people, particularly with the bits added on to the main coverage. Seeing the 10 races that BBC have got, I reckon that'll drive a lot of people over to Sky as well as they're showing the decent races that BBC aren't.

I think the HD deal in particular is pretty good for existing non-HD, non-Sports Sky customers - £10.25 extra a month for the best HD service around by far and F1 to sweeten the deal. Even if F1 is all you want and you'll watch the rest of the races on BBC then that's only £1.25 per race.

I'd just like to point out that I did some really stupid maths here, it's been a long week lol... The correct maths is below and is much worse:

For existing Sky customers without an HD/sports package, the extra cost is:
£10.25/month = 10.25*12/year = £123/year
£123/year = 123/10/race = £12.30 per race not live on the BBC

For non-Sky customers:
£30.25/month = 30.25*12/year = £363/year
£363/year = 363/10/race = £36.30 per race not live on the BBC

The per race figures are pretty bad, although they are based on you leaving the Sky+ box sat gathering dust in the corner when it's not a Sky F1 weekend. Granted there's a lot on Sky that you don't really want to be paying for but some of the extra content is good, the HD service is the best around and Sky+ is very useful. Also, if you want to sell your soul to Sky completely you can add phone/internet for pretty much nothing I think.

The top figure maybe is not so bad if you divide it by two to get the cost/race if you watch them all on Sky and then think about how many drinks you could buy at the pub for £6.15 (~two, so one less drink per week?). You can't get away from the fact that this is a lot of money though.

Sorry for the confusion! What makes it even worse is I think I tried to do is divide the monthly HD cost by 10, which is 1.025 not 1.25, so I even got the wrong answer to my wrong method!!!

Barcelona, Valencia and Abu Dhabi but no Monza, no Montreal, no Suzuka. No Brundle, no Kravitz, no Croft? No ads during the race on Sky and a dedicated channel.
Fewer and fewer reasons to watch F1 on the BBC. I can see the bastards pulling out entirely after next year.
Just not sure I can afford the alternative. My one hope is that Virgin Media come up with a reasonable package.

Races so far:
Right then, Barcelona.

BBC: Britain Monaco Spa Brazil Suzuka Singapore Shanghai Budapest
Sky: Monza Canada Australia USA Malaysia Germany Abu Dhabi Barcelona
Remember guys the average audiece is 2m for the morning races, 4 for the daytime and 6 for the evening races. Looking at it this way, having both north American races on sky is a bad deal for the average license payer.

I know that is what we ended up with, and I know there will be only one north American race next year, but i think you have made the same mistakes as the controllers have in real life.

The inevitable has finally been announced. I wonder who will be next to go over to Sky.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96515

What makes me most annoyed by the Sky package is how you cannot just buy the F1 channel and nothing else, if you could do that for a reasonable price then I would almost definitely invest in it. I'm sure quite a few others may feel the same. Why are Sky so ignorant not to see this? They are greedy, money grabbing *********s, who do not care about the viewer and only about themselves.

What I am most curious about is whether BBC and Sky will share the commentary team? When the whole shared deal was first announced it seemed a certainty it would, but more recent rumors suggest the BBC will have their own commentary team. I really hope they stick with DC and Brundle as I've really liked their partnership this year.

No longer care if they cancel Bahrain and USA races next year.

In fact, here's to ongoing financial disputes in Austin.

I'm not blaming Sky for buying the rights to F1, im blaming them for not allowing fans to purchase a minimized package that allows them to just watch F1 and nothing else. Having to pay close to £400 is a joke.

Glad to hear Brundle is joining Sky.

Although I'm annoyed at the BBC and how they shafted everyone, it's turning out to be a damned good deal for me as I already have Sky HD.

If only F1 was as important to the BBC as football, a stupid dancing show, Doctor Who and period dramas.
Maybe I'm unique in being male, a lifelong F1 addict and also a lover of that 'stupid dancing show'. But there was room for both, surely?

I'm struggling to think of any other program, apart from F1, which I watch on the BBC channels.

That being the case, I'll be opting out of paying the license fee next year.

Oh wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom