BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC have extended their six nations contract up to and including 2017. Only seem to spout out the "committed to bringing full live sport" "great value deal for taxpayers" when it suits them...

BBC have extended their six nations contract up to and including 2017. Only seem to spout out the "committed to bringing full live sport" "great value deal for taxpayers" when it suits them...

Well, I'd be really frothing at the mouth if I didn't get to see the Six Nations!

Reactions: mjo
True, but the Beeb should have got their sporting priorities right - based on viewing figures.

Exactly, Six Nations and F1. If the BBC can save many millions for the Six Nations (Sky really want it) why can't they save some money for f1? A big mistake from the BBC was cutting their sports rights budget. It brings many millions of viewers to the BBC - those who cannot afford a £500 per annum sky sports subscription on top of the £140 license fee.

Rant over.

Charles Sale from the Daily Mail (it rhymesLOL) says the following:
Sky's F1 team taking shape

Sky Sports, who are expected to announce their F1 line-up for next year’s coverage after the Brazilian Grand Prix, have former world champion Nigel Mansell in their sights as lead pundit.
Martin Brundle and David Croft will commentate, with Ted Kravitz the paddock reporter after his BBC colleague Lee McKenzie opted to stay put. Sky rugby presenter Simon Lazenby is expected to host the programme, while Steve Rider is line to do a series of legends interviews.

However, he seems to be the only person that is actually excited by the new deal (anti-bbc newspaper) and we don't know who his sources were - just speculation.

Also, apparently, in 2009, Croft was going to be lead commentator but Brundle influenced the BBC's decision on it for some reason. So if this is true, I can't imagine it would work that well. Also, it's interesting that Mansell would maybe a pundit.

But of course, none of this will affect me as I won't be watching Sky next year.

Nooooooooooooooooooo. Does this mean the end of Crofty and Ant on friday practices. I'd be all for Crofty getting a promotion, but to take Brundle's seat, not to move with him. Sky's aim was always going to be to break up what they could of the BBC's line up. BBC F1 has the best sports team on tv. Hope Legard doesn't come back. :S

Hope Legard doesn't come back. :s

That would be the end for me. No more BBC hello Sky. I really didn't like that man.

He's on a charge
Battle has been joined
Button from Vettel from Webber from etc etc
Round the corner up the hill
He's still in the hunt
Is he quick enough..... no

>:(

BBC's coverage plan for 2012 looks like its a few days away:
Hopefully some of our plans for #bbcf1 2012 will become clearer over the next few days. The more I hear about them the more excited I get..
@JakeHumphreyf1

BBC's coverage plan for 2012 looks like its a few days away:
Hopefully some of our plans for #bbcf1 2012 will become clearer over the next few days. The more I hear about them the more excited I get..
@JakeHumphreyf1

Just like the "exciting" and "great" news the BBC shared with us when they decided to give the rights away?
Oh I'm so excited Jake! I simply can't wait for the spin they give this one.

That seems more like it Sportsman. Let's hope that it is true.

Even I would forgo a decent bottle of claret once a month to cover the cost :)

If that's true then that is a major step forward. Perhaps after the massive out cry in the UK and after one or two focus groups at Sky they looked at the deal someone, somewhere had a rush of common sense to the brain. Not perfect but better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom