BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the states we receive our F1 coverage from the Speed channel, which is included in of our basic cable service, and part of the Murdoch empire. If anybody doesn't mind, how much does Sky want to charge you on an annual basis, and what do they charge yearly in England for your tv license?.......in dollars please!

What have you used as exchange rate?
TV licence £145.50 per annum
Sky Sports £480.00 per annum
Line rental (?) £147 per annum
Total £772.50 per annum

ffs its about $250 for the TV licence and about $1000 for Sky (no HD). Ball park figures. Exchange rates may fluctuate...zzzzzz

Just seen this on Twitter: 'Sky coverage will apparently have team radio feeds and many more interactive features'

Just seen this on Twitter: 'Sky coverage will apparently have team radio feeds and many more interactive features'
That's precisely why I don't trust that twittery stuff. I mean, it suggests that Sky isn't hearing the fans complain that they can't afford it. You know, implying that fans are worried about the quality and quantity rather than availability. I just will not believe that of them :thinking:. Would you?:D

Reactions: mjo
The latest rumour is Sky are considering creating a dedicated motorsport channel.

If they do then that would be great.
Only if you could buy it as a standalone subscription, but it it's much more likely that such a channel would only be available as part of a bigger (and more expensive) package.

I can't believe we are so deep in the season and there still isn't any clear cut answer to almost all of our questions. I've been searching google and i haven't found any answers to these questions, so could anyone who knows answer them for me.

Will BBC be broadcasting reruns of qualifying for races they don't have the rights to?
Will BBC still broadcast tv coverage along with 5live commentary of practice sessions for the races they don't have rights to?
Will BBC offer build up to reruns of races, as well as post-race reflection, or will we only get the races? or will we even get that as i haven't found a definite answer?
Will the reruns start 3 hours after the race starts, or 3 hours after the race finishes?
What will happen to the BBC F1 team? - This is one of the biggest issues for me as i will probably get access to the F1 races one way or another, but BBC have done what ITV never did and build a family feel to F1. Each GP i felt like i was watching with old friends, whether it was Crofty and Ant on fridays or Jake, EJ, DC and Martin over the weekend. Not to forget the extensive coverage on the BBC F1 website
If Austin gets dropped, will BBC still have 10 races to Sky's 9? - assuming Turkey or another GP doesn't get reintroduced putting it back to 20.
Is this the end of F1? When cricket moved to Sky in 2005 it was one of our most watched sports. Now most people don't have a clue what is going on in the cricket. How many of the viewers BBC have worked so hard to pick up will be lost in this ridiculous decision?
Will Sky bring back adverts during F1? - Answered this myself and the answer is no, but i am guessing there will be ads before and after, as well as maybe in the future.
Is there still a chance the teams will get the decision reversed due to the Concorde agreement?

Feel free to answer "I don't know" to the questions, as it seems that SKY, Bernie and even the beeb seem to want to keep us in the dark over this one...:givemestrength:

I can't help but feel $ky are just going to throw a load of money at F1 and forget what the BBC has done so well. That connection between broadcaster and viewer has never even come close to being rivaled by any other sport. That's why they won the BAFTA.

Not matter how you look at this, F1 has sold its soul here. :(

Charles Sale from the Daily Mail (it rhymesLOL) says the following:
Sky's F1 team taking shape

Sky Sports, who are expected to announce their F1 line-up for next year’s coverage after the Brazilian Grand Prix, have former world champion Nigel Mansell in their sights as lead pundit.
Martin Brundle and David Croft will commentate, with Ted Kravitz the paddock reporter after his BBC colleague Lee McKenzie opted to stay put. Sky rugby presenter Simon Lazenby is expected to host the programme, while Steve Rider is line to do a series of legends interviews.

However, he seems to be the only person that is actually excited by the new deal (anti-bbc newspaper) and we don't know who his sources were - just speculation.

Also, apparently, in 2009, Croft was going to be lead commentator but Brundle influenced the BBC's decision on it for some reason. So if this is true, I can't imagine it would work that well. Also, it's interesting that Mansell would maybe a pundit.

But of course, none of this will affect me as I won't be watching Sky next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom