BBC sports personality of the year 2012

You know what, I don't envy the task of the BBC in sorting this all out. I think they'll end up having to create some new categories to try and accommodate everything. I've been trying to figure it out in my head for the last half hour but I've got nowhere. My list just gets longer and longer.

I think the favourites should probably be Bradley Wiggins and Mo Farah as things stand. However, if Mo Farah is a favourite then so should all the other double gold medallists really, the likes of Chris Hoy, Laura Trott and Charlotte Dujardin, for example. Then we have popular single gold medallists like Jessica Ennis and Andy Murray, who could even go on to win the US open and finish the year as world no. 1.

The only thing I'm fairly certain of in my mind is that Michael Phelps should get the overseas award, but there's a lot of great candidates in that category too.

What will happen is that he public will remember the Olympic Games and base their votes on that, the winner will be Mo or Jessica Ennis. I think the winner should be Bradley Wiggins.

I think the answer is in the title sports personality so the winner should be the one with the best personality, obviously that rules out the quiet man, he proved that accountants are boring people.......

It's all a load of bollocks anyway...

The only thing I'm fairly certain of in my mind is that Michael Phelps should get the overseas award, but there's a lot of great candidates in that category too.

No way that will go to anyone other that Usain Bolt. Remember this isn't a who got the most medals competition, its a 'personality' contest. Who won our hearts, who do we like best.

Bolt has won it twice previously, and "The award is presented to a non-British sportsperson considered to have made the most substantial contribution to a sport in that year" according to wiki, it's not just a personality thing. You're probably right that Bolt will win it, but considering Phelps is the most successful Olympian ever, has just retired, and has never won it, it would seem more fitting to me.

To be honest for this year the BBC should ditch the individual award as there are so many people out there who have made massive contributions this year, just give an award (other than the normal team award) to all the team GB athletes because they all went above an beyond this year and should all be recognised...

Well, this hasn't got any easier after the Paralympics. David Weir, Sarah Storey, Sophie Christiansen, Ellie Simmonds, Natasha Baker and Hannah Cockroft all multiple gold medal winners.

Maybe they should change it to BBC Sports Personality of the Day 2012?

To be honest for this year the BBC should ditch the individual award as there are so many people out there who have made massive contributions this year, just give an award (other than the normal team award) to all the team GB athletes because they all went above an beyond this year and should all be recognised...

I just thought this was statement worth repeating after the Paralympics

Humph I just don't care.

Does that make me a bad person?

If it does I don't care about that either..

I have more important things to care about...

I really am a miserable sod aren't I............................................................:(

BBC Sports POTY
I haven't watched it since 2008..I was going to go to the event it was being held about 45 miles away...but I'm glad I didn't.
Chris Hoy won......everyone I knew voted for LH who was 2nd...
I saw CH a few weeks later in IKEA Warrington..he had a double mattress on his trolly...he rushed through the tills & then he was back again with a trolly load of stuff...no one bothered him...except me...."Are you that bloke who has just won the BBC SPOTY?" I asked him...he said yes & was very nice..........I recognised him by his thighs ...they were like tree trunks......OAKS...no less.
An Ikea staff member told me he is always in there buying stuff for his buy to let properties.
I though...........RESPECT:thumbsup:

Murray. Has to be Murray now. In this form, I don't think that's the end of it. After the last three major tournaments, that has to make him the best out there now.

Excuse me if I sound a bit thick here but the title is best sports personality so surely it should go to the sports person with the best personality and not to the best sports person.

Or am I expecting to much from the English language to actually mean what it says?

Call me a pedant if you like but who else is going preserve our language before it degrades into meaningless bollocks, driven by the media to not present itself in the correct manner..

Isn't somebody's "sports personality" the personality with which they play their sport? Murray showed a lot of personality today and strength of character to win that match in the way that he did. It's a common misconception that "Sports Personality" means the sportsman with the biggest smile or that tells the best jokes or stories. It's no degradation of language - the phrase is just often misinterpreted, as personality is usually used in daily non-sporting life to describe a person's social adeptness. Don't forget that determination and self-belief along with resolve and temperament are all personality traits.

Back
Top Bottom