BBC F1: "Viewers don't appreciate technical F1 analysis"

It certainly sums up the BBC leadership's patronising and uninformed attitude to the viewing public. If they took the time out to listen properly to the grass roots public they might realise that we are not as stupid and uninterested as they think.

As far as EJ is concerned they think he's okay because of his comedy value. Unfortunately, the role they put him in plays to that theme and belies the intelligence and knowledge that he actually possesses but which is rarely called upon in the format of their coverage.

It certainly sums up the BBC leadership's patronising and uninformed attitude to the viewing public. If they took the time out to listen properly to the grass roots public they might realise that we are not as stupid and uninterested as they think.

Agree totally.

Anderson was the best thing about BBC F1. His guesses and estimates about strategy were nearly always right, particularly with knock-out times in qualifying sessions, he offered a lot of insight. BBC are actually shite, as much as it pains me (and my wallet!) to say it, I think I'll have to get Sky soon...

Last edited:
I get the impression that the BBC won't be screening f1 once their current contract expires! And Bernie will suffer a greater loss of viewers as f1 finds itself completely on subscription.

Hmm. I've got to be honest that whilst I think the Beeb's attitude to the public and their treatment of Anderson sucks, I don't rate Anderson's input as valuable as Davidson's. Their perspectives are different since one is from an engineering point of view and the other from the driving seat. Anderson's analysis isn't always up to speed and sometimes I got the feeling that he talked about something for the sake of doing so before really thinking it through. Meanwhile Davidson has been excellent not only with his driver's insight but with his tech' and regulations knowledge as well.

IMHO they could be an interesting partnership but losing Davidson in favour of Anderson would be a mistake. Obviously if Davidson is busy in an endurance championship race seat that's where he should be as his driving career should come first. He's got a good few years left in him for that and he's one of the best we in Blighty have in the sport.

the main things that I can recall about Gary Anderson is him saying that the 2012 McLaren looked badly thought through, and the 2013 McLaren looked a lot stronger, and with lots of great details.

There are other things.

His race day insight was fairly good though, but I do not think I will miss him too much. Personally, I used to like the segments that Martin Brundle used to do when on the BBC, mixing the technical aspect with the driving side.

I liked Gary Anderson, his input was usually the most interesting bit (are you reading BBC?!)
The BBC is going down the pan & seems to have no idea on sports coverage any more.
Whoever is in charge doesn't appear to know it takes intelligence to follow such a technical sport...have they bothered to ask the viewers if we want a technical aspect to coverage..?...no I thought not.
<sigh>

Yes well the BBC have always been control freaks and seem to believe they have the power to decide what the viewing public should and should not be allowed to see giving out to much technical advice for them means educating the masses and they don't want that or we may become to clever and therefore dangerous and they are protective over their viewing public even to the extent that we should not be allowed to get a glimpse a female nipple just in case we all become rapists, someone should tell them to get their arse out of the Victorian age, they are nothing but a bunch of pedophile harbouring bastards anyway..

Back
Top Bottom