BBC F1: "Viewers don't appreciate technical F1 analysis"

I agree that the majority of the viewers will possibly not even notice that Gary is no longer there.

I would add however, that he represented a small portion of the show, and the race, and likely a small part of the budget for the programming, as such, it all measured up nicely imho.

My dad only watches the start and first 3 or four laps of a race and last 4 or 5 laps of a race so the BBC should cut out all but these laps because my dad doesn't watch them....

Edit

I've just realised the BBC already does this, they call it "Extended highlights...."

Last edited:
This supports my theory that F1 lives on in a diminished state, because the real race fans have been turned off by "spec" cars and "artificial" racing, but the socialites and sycophants linger on. And as the number of diehard race fans declines, so does the interest of the average fan in the sport's technical aspects.

Anderson is no major great loss IMO and doesn’t captivate the listener like Gordon Murray for example. He’s as dull as a dishwasher and appeared to be stuck in the dark ages when he suggested McLaren should’ve replaced Button’s gearbox in 30minutes (2012) until the complications around the assembly were pointed out to him. Another balls up include him saying the 2013 McLaren had strong performance potential. I don’t enjoy his insight and I find it more interesting listening to technical info from a driver’s perspective, past or present.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, Channel 7 here an Australia doesn't seem to have any problem with doing in depth technical analysis for the V8 Supercars. They have a dedicated former driver (Mark Larkham) who does all of the technical analysis, for example before the race he will explain the likely strategies and possible alternatives teams will use, and if there is something technical which is causing a dispute or problems on the track (e.g. if a part is broken), he will explain all about it and often have samples to show (of parts etc.).

Of course, this is a lot harder in Formula One because all of the teams are so secretive, however that doesn't mean it can't be done partially...

The BBC believe that their viewing public are like.

So ummm daaa this little piece that is shaped like a star shape that glows in the sky when it is ummmm daaaa da da da dark at when the ummm daaaaaaaa night I think, goes in that square hole that is ummm daaa like daaaa dark inside I got it right didn't I daaaaa daaa dad, can I have a sweetie now... doooooooooooooohhh

Gary has now found a new home at Sky. He's on the GP3 this weekend for sure (and I think GP2). Whether he'll jump up to the F1 I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom