Ask The Apex

Probably because the FiA is full of old boys, and it's tradition, innit.

There was a time when drivers had a varying number for every race.

Here is year of Dan Gurney numbers, I think it was to do with what entrant number they were. I like the idea of different numbers for each race, as I like privateers and cigarette advertising.

Mexico 3
USA 11
Italy 8
Canada 10
Germany 9
Britain 9
France 9
Belgium 36
Monaco 23

Stirling Moss always used to choose 7. Presumably that it what Schumacher will have next season.
erm
vi2.php.jpg

There was a time when drivers had a varying number for every race.

In the old days before full TV coverage that was probably OK, as you were either at the rack listening to the commentary or you'd read about it in the news after the fact.

No, for the majority of GP2 races last year, the GP2 pole sitter was faster than the worst Hispania driver.

Not.
Code:
Track  Fastest GP2 Slowest HRT
Istanbul 1.34.398 1.31.564
Catalunya 1.30.369 1.27.908
Valencia 1.46.675 1.44.363
Nürburgring 1.40.317 1.37.036
Hungaroring 1.30.411 1.26.479
Monza  1.32,349 1.28.231
Abu Dhabi 1.49.363 1.45.159
Catalunya 1.27.727 1.27.122
Istanbul 1.34.860 1.32.060
Valencia 1.45.337 1.42.851
Silverstone 1.39.189 1.36.968
Hungaroring 1.27.864 1.26.453
Monza  1.30.269 1.27.020
Abu Dhabi 1.48.559 1.45.296
Neither HRT driver set a time in Monaco qualifying 2011.
2011 Silverstone and Spa qualifying times not comparable due to weather conditions.
2010 Monaco, Hockenheim and Spa not comparable due to weather conditions.

How did the BMW car in 2009 go from the first race as possible race winner, to nowhere in the races after?

Well they tested well in pre-season from my memory. both Cars got in the top 12 in qualifying for first two races.
I think partly heightened expectations from the "title challenge" in 08 did not help, They being no where Ferrari or McLaren, it was only because they were very inconstant in 08 that BMW had an outside chance.

Also I think they gradually sunk towards the back of the grid in terms of outright pace. Updates didn't work and the worst form was towards 2nd/3 of the season before finding something that worked and getting some consistent points towards the end of the season.

Also both iirc both kubica and Hiedfield both complained about the slow rate of updates during the season. And finally maybe the rules changes didn't help dispite the good pre-season form.

I don't remember exactly, but possibly KERS made them look better at Melbourne than other tracks. I vaguely remember their packaging being very bulky and possibly running very hot too. A lack of a double diffuser was a problem for a lot of teams (except Red Bull, naturally).

I'm sure Kubica didn't have the KERS system in Melbourne because he was too heavy, but Heidfeld had it.

Oh I forgot to ask, why did Toyota slip back after Bahrain, they went anonymous until I think Spa. Them and BMW went from front runners at melbourne to backmarkers in Monaco.

As far as I can remember the 09 Toyota was a strange beast it had the double diffuser from the start and in qualifying it was as fast as any of the front runners including Brawn but for some reason it was dog slow in race trim.

Can somebody explain this?

Sorry for all the questions, but this one is quite important.

Can someone give me a crucial part of the car, such as the Front Forward Exhausts which brought a team several victories? I need it for my personal statement for Motorsport Design Engineering, as my last personal statement is out of date and uses KERS as an example.

I was going to put in engine mapping or EBD, but not sure how to put it in.

Something from 2011 that brought a team several victories other than EBD? So basically something from McLaren or Red-Bull.

The only thing the springs to mind other than flexi-wings is DRS and that is as a knock on effect.

There were a few races where Vettel could open his earlier than anyone else to be faster down the straight due to better downforce, and it gave him enough speed for pole, ie. Malaysia 2011 And vettel on pole usually = win

other than that what about McLarens u-pods? An itegral part of the whole design surely giving more air to the beam wing.

Back
Top Bottom