Ask The Apex

If it was me, 2 tyres Soft and Hard, no mandatory pit stops however soft less durable as always but you have to start on the tyre you set your fastest time on, no matter where you are on the grid

What is the most times 2 drivers have crashed into each other in a season?

Obviously I'm wondering if Lewis and Fellipe hold the record.

I remember Damon and Schumie hitting each other quite a few times in 95 and it felt like DC and Jenson were smashing into each other every other race in 08 but not sure of the figures.

I doubt whether anyone has kept count. I have considered dropping the overtaking stats for next season and doing the errors and collisions count instead, though. I think the numbers will be lower.

Schumacher-Hill in 1995 I can only recall Silverstone, Spa and Monza. Which admittedly was 3 in 5 races.

Talking of crashes - Didn't Mika Hakkenien single handedly take out two thirds of the grid at the start one GP or have I dreamt that?

I think you might be right on that one G - I might check it out on youtube.

edit - thanks mjo thats the one I was thinking of

2 things: What is the record for the most retirements by a driver in a season?
and: Why were Leyton House so fast in the 1990 French Grand Prix, when they didn't qualify in Mexico the race before?

2 things: What is the record for the most retirements by a driver in a season?

1986 was an extraordinary year for retirements. There were 16 races, and Minardi's two drivers achieved one classified finish each:
Andrea de Cesaris: 14 RET, 1 DNQ
Alessandro Nannini: 13 RET, 1 N/C, 1 DNQ

Meanwhile Osella's Piercarlo Ghinzani also had 14 retirements, 1 DNQ and one classified finish.

Of course, there have been many stand-in or substitute drivers who only did part-seasons, and retired from every race. I'm not aware of a driver who did an entire season and retired from them all, but I think it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

and: Why were Leyton House so fast in the 1990 French Grand Prix, when they didn't qualify in Mexico the race before?

Adrian Newey's car was very advanced aerodynamically but also very ride-height sensitive; Mexico was and is an extremely bumpy circuit, while Paul Ricard was and is as smooth as a billiard table.

I have a few questions about testing:

Is it known how much time or km drivers at teams with simulators do in their simulators over a season?

Do the simulators strictly simulate their own car or do they ever have AI to represent other cars? As I noticed on a McLaren video they used their F1 simulator to drive the MP4-12C road car.

Finally, though in-season testing banned apart from some straight line aero tests, is there a limit to how much a previous car can be driven like Ferrari did with Perez and Bianchi other than just the expense of it?

I'm not aware of a driver who did an entire season and retired from them all, but I think it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

in 1989 Gerhard Berger retired from all but 3 Grand Prix's in his Ferrari which I know isn't a record but when you realise that in the 3 races he did finish he won one of them and came second in the other 2 its a pretty interesting fact!

Why were Leyton House so fast in the 1990 French Grand Prix, when they didn't qualify in Mexico the race before?

Adrian Newey's car was very advanced aerodynamically but also very ride-height sensitive; Mexico was and is an extremely bumpy circuit, while Paul Ricard was and is as smooth as a billiard table.

Lets also remember that race that neither of the Leyton House car's stopped for tyres and spent the first part of the race keeping to the racing line and preserving their one and only set in order to get the jump on the rest of the field.

First ever Grand Prix I watched and still one of my faves that one! I was convinced Ivan Cappeli was a future world champion.

Finally, though in-season testing banned apart from some straight line aero tests, is there a limit to how much a previous car can be driven like Ferrari did with Perez and Bianchi other than just the expense of it?

There is no limit on testing in a two year old car.The biggest problem is that the teams cannot obtain current F1 tyres.
Also Anthony Hamilton has leased several 2009 spec cars which is availble for anyone including the current teams to rent for driver testing.
But the teams cannot use any of their wings etc on this car.
Renault have a 2009 car already to prepared for Kubica to test in as soon as he is able to.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/anthony-hamilton-leasing-fleet-of-f1-cars-for-gp-prep-drivers-ac/

Of course, there have been many stand-in or substitute drivers who only did part-seasons, and retired from every race. I'm not aware of a driver who did an entire season and retired from them all, but I think it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Sir, sir, me, sir! Andrea de Cesaris retired from every race in 1987, but got two classified finishes - 8th in Australia and 3rd in Belgium. In 1986-88 he actually crossed the finish line on a total of 4 occasions, and scored 148 retirements from 214 starts.

Back
Top Bottom