Ask The Apex

-------------------------------

The Indy 500 was never an F1 race anyway, even when it counted for the WDC. The cars taking part came under USAC (and before that AAA) specifications.

it was a stupid idea anyway, having the Indy 500 in the world championship

Actually now that you mention it I suppose I could and "ask the apex":

Any big names in F1 at the time who took part in the Indy 500 within the period it was part of the WDC and if so, how did they fare?

Alberto Ascari missed the Swiss GP in 1952 to enter the Indy 500 for Ferrari, he retired having qualified in 19th position.

On the flip side, Rodger Ward entered an Indy500 Kurtis Kraft-Offenhauser in the 1959 United States Grand Prix at Sebring, qualifying a magnificent 43.8 seconds down on Stirling Moss' pole time and retiring after 20 laps.

In the past, it was virtually impossible to make a good start from the “wrong” side of the grid, while nowadays it may even be advantageous to start from the “dirty” side. I don’t know if there are stats to prove this presumption, but at least in the last two races it was the 2nd-placed car on the grid that took the lead. I got the impression that the grip difference between the racing and non-racing line has been substantially lower in the Pirelli era than in the Bridgestone era. Does anyone know if this is true?

To answer my own question, I analyzed the position changes of the cars on the front row from 2000 to 2013. I only used the cars starting from the front row because they are in "clean air", so their starts are not affected by slow-starting vehicles in front of them. It seems that there is more "randomness" in modern F1: the probability of the second-placed car to overtake the pole-sitter has increased, but the probability of losing positions at the start has also increased, see the per-season averages:

2000: -0.21 (1st)/-0.38 (2nd)
2001: -0.20/-0.57
2002: -0.13/-0.23
2003: -0.20/-0.79
2004: -0.06/-1.22
2005: -0.26/-0.47
2006: -0.06/-0.25
2007: -0.13/-0.38
2008: -0.18/-0.24
2009: -0.38/-0.94
2010: -0.67/-0.17
2011: -0.39/-0.22
2012: -0.15/-0.21
2013: -0.37/-0.63

Year-to-year variability is likely a result of having some slow-starters on the front row. The influence of traction control (2001-2007) seems limited. Possibly the lack of a warm-up to lay down rubber explains why starting from the dirty side was such a disadvantage in 2003 and 2004, but it doesn't explain why the gap went back to normal later on. KERS may explain the relatively poor performance of the front row in 2009, but it can't explain why in 2010 and 2011 the second-placed car was less likely to lose positions than the pole-sitter. Perhaps the refueling ban in some way or another contributed to this, as the Pirelli tyres do not seem to have a long-lasting effect.

Actually now that you mention it I suppose I could and "ask the apex":

Any big names in F1 at the time who took part in the Indy 500 within the period it was part of the WDC and if so, how did they fare?
Farina was on the entry list for Indy in 1957, his car was wrecked and teammate killed in practice.

Fangio intended to race at Indy in 1958 to try and score points towards the WDC, but he withdrew after being disappointing in practice.

While lane markings on road circuits are obviously intended for ordinary traffic outside race week-ends, why did some purpose-built tracks such as Paul-Ricard or Kyalami use to have them too?

DO_Pc.jpg

kyalami-1982.jpg

Last edited:
I know the answer, it was mentioned in a Kyalami broadcast. They mentioned something about long distance sports car races and the lines were used as guides for slower cars moving out of the way.

As for Paul Ricard, that track sucked anyway, so I guess they used them for "decoration"

That would explain it, yes... And they do have endurence racing at the Paul Ricard too. They obviously have the Bol d' Or, although would lane markings be needed for bike racing as well?

Disagree that the Paul-Ricard was a bad track though, at least in its original configuration, with its 1.8k straight, Signes, and the "Verrerie" esses. The latter was a pretty challenging series of corners.

It was certainly better than Magny-Cours anyway, and certainly way better than a lot of tracks on today's calendar...

Last edited:
Yeah, it did have some challenging corners, but scenery wise, it was a flop. They really killed it with that awful red and blue stripe stuff.

France deserves a race more than probably anywhere, its a shame they couldn't build an exact copy of Istanbul Park near Paris..............................

I would guess JJ Lehto in 1991, but I haven't checked properly.
edit: Change that to Betrand Gachot in 1994 (although he only actually qualified to race in 5 races in F1 that year due to the Pacific team being so bad).

Last edited:
I am watching the China WEC and the Pole laptime was 1:48:3, which is 5 seconds quicker than this years Formula 1 Pole time by Lewis Hamilton, do they run the same configuration? Formula 1 could learn some lessons from the WEC, the cars are all very different from each other because of the freedom the engineers have but the performance is close.

On another thread some put forward the idea that Lewis was making set up changes between Q2 and Q3 and gave it as a possible reason why Nico got more poles, so my question is.

As the cars are under parc ferme conditions upon entering qualifying and stay that way until the end of the race on Sunday surely making major set up changes during qualifying would be breaking the rules and so could not possibly have happened in this case, am I right in believing this or wrong?

After seeing the news that Caterham are allowed to use the 2014 car for 2015, when did the rules change compelling teams to build a new car for each season?

Back
Top Bottom