Grand Prix 2024 Dutch Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Whilst we were all off sunning ourselves on the Med, or yomping through the Lake District, the F1 family have got back together and shipped all of there stuff to The Netherlands for the Dutch Grand Prix. Over the summer break we have been provided with slew of images on Insta of F1 drivers enjoying their summer break, whilst all still kitted out in their corporate sponsored clothing. I presume they are allowed to, occasionally, just mong about in jeans and a T-shirt but, of course, not when there is a photo op.

The main story of the summer has been where will Adrian Newey go after his departure from Red Bull. Many believe Aston Martin is a done deal, other still think he might want to go back to Williams as there is unfinished business, or team up with the most successful driver of all time at Ferrari. Newey's manager, Eddie Jordan (did any of us know he was his manager before the shenanigans started at Red Bull?), is playing his usual games, presumably to get the biggest pay cheque possible for his client and pocket his 10%.

On to the Grand Prix. This will take place on the once challenging, and previously frightening, Zandvoort circuit. This has now been emasculated, with bizarre banked corner and numerous non-descript, could be anywhere, turns, making it yet another F1 autodrome, this one being resurrected to cash in on the popularity of Max Verstappen with the Dutch public. Expect lots of orange and plenty of those bloody awful flares they insist on setting off.

There are no F2 or F3 races this weekend, but there are some F1 Academy races. Bless, let's let the girls have a little driver around before the proper racing with men gets started. Please note, this is meant to be ironic as many of these women would be more than capable of driving an F1, F2, or F3 car as well as many of the men on the grid, but the teams are too blinkered to give them the opportunity. Yes, I'm looking at you Sergio Perez, or Logan Sargeant, or Lance Stroll.

Anyway, enough of the posturing, here are the timings on Sky for a UK audience.

1724399435004.webp

that impeding situation is absoultely ludicrous. perez got to stop moaning. where is lewis supposed to go. he's on the outside off the racing line there is not much more he couldve done

He could go faster, not park it in the corner...
if thats impeding weve lost all common sense. its an absoulte joke of a decision what there saying is park it on the outside of the corner. it was perez that slowed down. Hamilton cant vanish hes on in or Out lap. he been very considerate he clearly showing he's trying to get out of the way

& we know full well if roles were reversed Christian horner wouldnt bloody shut up about it.

Screenshot_20240824_192345_X.webp

Why aren't we talking about Albon being disqualified from qualifying because his ass was too big or something like that!

Now that's a scandal. Just because they said his bottom has too much volume doesn't mean he can't fit in his race suit or safely drive the car

Harsh

#fatshame

that is a weird story, so Williams say that their measurements say they are within the rules. but FIA have said we understand & your not lying but our measurements say its too big & you falling foul of the rules.
In their post-session scrutineering session, the FIA had found the Williams' floor had lain outside of the maximum bounding box permitted by the regulations and thus reported to the stewards.

Motorsport.com understands that when the floor was scanned by the FIA, it was found to be too wide - beyond the 1600mm width permissible by the regulations.

Williams had contended that its own measuring devices had shown that it was within the limits which the FIA did not dispute, but that its own scan had proven to be different.

so what do williams do because they say its legal & FIA say its illegal, because i doubt they can change the car so does albon race tomorrow & cross his fingers hope it passes the scrutineers.

that is a weird story, so Williams say that their measurements say they are within the rules. but FIA have said we understand & your not lying but our measurements say its too big & you falling foul of the rules.

so what do williams do because they say its legal & FIA say its illegal, because i doubt they can change the car so does albon race tomorrow & cross his fingers hope it passes the scrutineers.
It's when we discover that the reason that the Williams didn't fit between the lines is that, like an idiot in a car park, the scrutineers didn't park the car parallel to the box...

wonder if piastri in 3rd might be interested in the start. because if max is as aggressive off the start as well with trying to deliver for his dutch fans. he could pick the pieces for any over ambitious moves

a brilliant drive from Lando. the starts again nearly cost him & took 18 laps to recover. 2 stats that dont feel correct that. this is norris 2nd race win as it feels like it should be his 12th. Verstappen hasnt won since Spain. i think Red Bull will lose the constructors but should just hang on to the drivers unless Verstappen has a DNF

Red Bull seem to struggle to bring any performance to the car. of course the genius Adrian Newey will cost any team but they seem to be going backwards

fantastic drive from both ferrari drivers. 3rd & 5th is very impressive from they were & credit where credits dues. brilliant response from the fans. but i guess they had 45 laps to process their disappointment

a brilliant drive from Lando. the starts again nearly cost him & took 18 laps to recover. 2 stats that dont feel correct that. this is norris 2nd race win as it feels like it should be his 12th. Verstappen hasnt won since Spain. i think Red Bull will lose the constructors but should just hang on to the drivers unless Verstappen has a DNF

Red Bull seem to struggle to bring any performance to the car. of course the genius Adrian Newey will cost any team but they seem to be going backwards

fantastic drive from both ferrari drivers. 3rd & 5th is very impressive from they were & credit where credits dues. brilliant response from the fans. but i guess they had 45 laps to process their disappointment
Exactly the same thing happened to Williams in 1997 - Adrian Newey left, and suddenly the team couldn't find ways of improving the FW19 - because those who were left didn't really understand the car. That season, Villeneuve was very lucky to win the championship - it was only because of Damon Hill's demise in Hungary, and the failures of the Prost car in Austria, and the McLarens at the Nurburgring - which would have left Villeneuve 14 points worse off in the championship - handing the title to Schumacher after the Japanese race.

The Artist..... great minds think alike. i thinking 30 mins ago about posting is red bull 2024 the williams 1996. both good cars but Adrian Newey leaves that season & they will have good car in following years stable regulations but come overhaul of 1998 & 2026 will they just fade into obscurity

The Artist..... great minds think alike. i thinking 30 mins ago about posting is red bull 2024 the williams 1996. both good cars but Adrian Newey leaves that season & they will have good car in following years stable regulations but come overhaul of 1998 & 2026 will they just fade into obscurity
Losing Newey was a big blow but don't forget, at exactly the same time they lost the works Renault deal. They ran a rebadged 1997 Renault engine in 1998 and a 1997 rebadged again but this time buggered around with by Flavio Briatore Supertec engines in 1999.

With the works BMW deal they were one of the few teams in the FIA Ferrari era to win races against Schumacher.

It really all went south when Sit Frank wouldn't sell the team to BMW so they left for Sauber and Patrick Head called it a day.

Back
Top Bottom