Grand Prix 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So both Championships are now decided. Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes Benz are setting new standards by which F1 teams and drivers will be measured in the coming years. Despite this, the calendar is not yet complete and we move on to that bastion of freedom and equality, Bahrain. This race was postponed from March and should have followed Australia, but like so many things COVID intervened. Now we will have a double header on the Sakhir circuit as rounds 15 and 16 are scheduled to take place on consecutive weekends. However, unlike the other double headers this year we have two different circuit layouts to look forward to.

As with previous races in Bahrain the track action will start at twilight and run in to the night around a floodlit track. Pirelli are supplying the C2, C3 and C4 tyre compounds. I suspect they may find some more grip from these at this circuit than they did in Turkey. But wait, what's this? There is rain forecast Saturday practice and qualifying! Yes, seriously - Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix | Realtime Weather & Forecasts

There have been occasions when having won the title Lewis Hamilton has backed off. In 2015 Nico Rosberg won the last three races of the season, with Lewis having taken the title, and used this as a springboard to win the title himself in 2016. Lewis Hamilton 2020 is, however, a different person. His teammate is nowhere near the same standard as Rosberg, and Hamilton's focus is at a different level compared to the 2015 version.

Some happy facts to help you enjoy the event. If you live in Bahrain you can go to prison for sending out a tweet criticising the race. The families of those who oppose the regime in exile are often imprisoned and tortured. Despite 70% of the population being Shiite Muslim nearly all senior positions in Government and the military are held by Sunni Muslims. Bahrain is 142 out of 180 in the global press freedom ranking with journalist who oppose the regime often jailed and tortured. Put simply, if you are a male Sunni Muslim living in Bahrain it's a great place to live. For anyone else, it's a bit shit.

Enjoy

When they’ve gone through so many drivers in recent times, if they then get rid of Albon who can they replace him with.
Aside from Perez or Hulkenberg which are both left field of a typical Red Bull driver
I) both over 30
Ii) not from the academy

There is nothing left for Red Bull apart from Tsunoda then their whole future is not so rosy with no engine deal in 2022

JEV does not want to come back to Red Bull after what he felt was an unfair dismissal
Buemi - probably past his speak

They have tried to get him before -Lando Norris seems to fit hebill

Back to the race, how much does Lewis want to break the final threads holding Bottas' spirit together? Another pummelling this weekend and you wonder how he can keep going
has he beaten him already, i thought bottas was alright this year. but when you think that since the season opener. Hamilton has won 10 & Bottas has won 1. & is still not guaranteed to be runner up

that was as comfortable as it gets for Hamilton never in doubt.

impressive from Russell. shows the rate of improvement at Williams. 2.5 seconds quicker than he did at 2019 & is the same time as Lewis hamilton did in Q1 of 2019 GP

has he beaten him already, i thought bottas was alright this year. but when you think that since the season opener. Hamilton has won 10 & Bottas has won 1. & is still not guaranteed to be runner up
Agree. Although I would include the season opener when comparing their stats. Hamilton has a 5:1 win advantage.

One thing I really struggled with in f1 qualifying was the lack of enforcement of track limits... during fp3, turn 6 (I think) was identified as key track limits, identified by the white line, yet I saw Verstappen, Norris, Hamilton all over the line, and no times deleted.

I think it’s time to start putting something that destroys the tyres if drivers go beyond the white line!

One thing I really struggled with in f1 qualifying was the lack of enforcement of track limits... during fp3, turn 6 (I think) was identified as key track limits, identified by the white line, yet I saw Verstappen, Norris, Hamilton all over the line, and no times deleted.

I think it’s time to start putting something that destroys the tyres if drivers go beyond the white line!
A gravel trap

I haven’t seen an accident like that since Gerard Berger’s tamburello accident... the fact that the car was ripped in half, and punched through the Armco barrier.. It’ll be a long time before the race can restart (if at all). I’d not be surprised if it takes 1-2 hours to reset...

I’d also say that it was Grosjean‘s fault from first impressions... he shot to the right, and hit the Alpha Tauri hard...

He was lucky he didn’t end up like Helmuth Koinegg and be decapitated by the armco barrier.
752E71BE-762D-454A-BE41-95A38F1556D0.jpeg
57B582D6-F8D2-420A-8F50-C8DF8524F38E.jpeg
B9351186-7422-47CD-B698-4905EA76FB7D.jpeg

Last edited:
Bizarrely, Grosjean seems likely to get driver of the day- in spite of causing his accident...

looking at the Renault, I expect to see them disqualified for over-wear of the plank!

Back
Top Bottom