Grand Prix 2019 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Here we go you lucky ducks. Our good friend Olivier signed up for this one, but since he's not around you're stuck with me doing it instead, sorry ;)

As we head into Asia and the race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit of Singapore the balance of power looks to have shifted slightly in the 2019 season. We started off the year with the domination of Ferrari in testing and then when the racing started we were back to square one. Mercedes were on the front foot and off up the road like a robbers dog winning every race going it seemed. Bottas, complete with his new beard, even showed some fight against his team mate and took a couple of wins in Australia and Azerbaijan, he was the only one who managed to deny his team mate in the first eight races as we all sat back and expected total domination by the German team and Hamilton, it seemed likely.

Then we went to Austria and something happened. Now Austria is always a track where Mercedes as a whole and Hamilton in particular has struggled more than at other circuits from what I can tell, Hamilton did again this year it would seem. The young Dutch driver Max Verstappen managed to stun us all and pull a win out of the bag, followed home by both Ferrari's and Bottas ahead of Hamilton. Since then out the last five races Hamilton has only won two, his dominance seemingly less than it was. Whether he's so far ahead in the championship he's not as driven to win, or if it's something else, who knows? Red Bull and Ferrari seem to have suddenly found a way to beat him, at least Verstappen and Leclerc have, let's not mention their team mates just now for various other reasons.

Singapore is another track like Monaco where the walls are incredibly close, the turns tight and twisty and where pretty much anything can and often does happen. We rarely see a race there without at least one safety car, often there is more than one due to the nature of the track and lack of run off areas etc. not to mention the narrow and cramped pit lane. It's a bumpy circuit, and although the race is run in the evening when it should be cooler, note the should, the temperature inside the cockpit can get up to 60C (140F). The humidity is also incredibly high making it even harder on the body, along with being one of the longer races which can trouble the two hour limit. So it's not for the feint hearted. You need to be on your game both mentally and physically to win in Singapore.

Of the eleven times it's been raced since we returned there in 2008, Nico Rosberg has won it once, Fernando Alonsohas won (ahem) it twice and both Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton have four wins under their belts. The way things are going you have to wonder if either of them will win it again this year. Vettel likes this track but in his current form I have to wonder if he can up his game enough to take his first win of the season on such a demanding track, especialy when his younger team mate Charles Leclerc is showing such brilliant form and could potentially make it three wins a row. Then again will Max Verstappen put in another sterling performance to take his first win here and third win of the year as well? Will Hamilton find that extra something that seems to have been missing in some of the recent races and grab another win here, his fifth here and his ninth of 2019? Under the artificial lights and in the heat and atmosphere of Singapore you can bet whoever wins it will be physically drained by the end of it all. Probably we will too if the race is anything like as demanding as it had been sometimes.

Last year your pole sitter was Hamilton and your podium was 1st Hamilton, 2nd Verstappen 3rd Vettel. On a side note, Kevin Magnussen managed to grab the fastest lap there which just proves how unpredictable this place can be.

Turn on your fans, sit back and let's hope we all enjoy Singapore 2019!

huge shock very few saw that coming but my thoughts were, was that as we have often said Lewis or Mercedes. when great pole lap like 2018 singapore, was leclerc great talent or was it ferrari had good car that took that pole. because as ive said very few saw this majority saw this as Lewis v Max you look at the odds even ferrari expected comfortably 3rd quickest. because surely that new front wing couldnt have gained them 6 tenths on Lewis 1.1seconds on Max & poteinally 65 seconds in the race in 6 weeks. that is impossible as that gained time over season not 6 weeks :o

also Vettel now that hurt because it 1 thing to be under performed but when you were great, & had a fantastic lap you still get beat for 8th time, he must be thinking what do i have to do, also Hamilton pretty fantastic lap, 8 tenths faster than your teammate if it wasnt for leclerc wouldve been star of qualifying
Hello Clip the Apex forum.

I read an (Autosport?) article last year that Hamilton couldn't warm his tyres up sufficiently in both Australia and Singapore because he had cars in front of him on his out lap. I believe it was Ricciardo in Singapore. While this put him at a slight disadvantage at the beginning of the lap, the tyres quickly warmed up giving him the advantage of being able to push harder than others in the remaining parts of the lap because his tyres weren't overheating, especially in Singapore.

We'll have to see how Ferrari's developments turn out in the long run, but the high temperatures in Singapore combined with the updates resolve their issue of not being able to get heat into the tyres. This alone could prove to be enough to gain .6 sec because the overall package hasn't been too bad so far considering Leclerc also took pole in Bahrain.

Were Ferrari sandbagging on Friday?

The commentators were talking about Mercedes being comfortably quickest on the long runs with RBR being next and Ferrari well out of it.

Today was different because Hamilton lost time on all his rivals. It could happen, although very unlikely, that Hamilton could find himself being in 5th position in the rest of the season which could be a game changer.

That race did my head in. So frustrating on many fronts. Stupid tyre preservation, limping around 6 or 7 seconds a lap slower than needed...and urgh, all the laps wasted under the safety car. I almost threw the remote at the TV.

Were Ferrari sandbagging on Friday?

The commentators were talking about Mercedes being comfortably quickest on the long runs with RBR being next and Ferrari well out of it.

Today was different because Hamilton lost time on all his rivals. It could happen, although very unlikely, that Hamilton could find himself being in 5th position in the rest of the season which could be a game changer.
Proposed improvement for 2020, since human beings love rules: Commentators shall be forbidden from any race related forecasting to eliminate personal bias (and manipulation of fans), or commenting on race incidents before stewards issue their report.

Last edited:
Lots of stuff on social media about Mercedes screwing Bottas race to guarantee Hamilton the best finish possible. Apparently he was used to keep Albon back until Hammy had completed his pit stop. With Valterri the only driver who could still seriously challenge Lewis for the title I think it's fair to say Mercedes have made their choice.

Not at all.

The fastest car won.
That's three races in a row now so it doesn't bode well for the season, apparently.

According to several people on here, a win in the fastest car isn't a real win.

I find today's race almost unbelievably silly, they went in a procession for 20 laps going as slow as F2 cars, that's wrong. The a good part of the rest of the race was spoiled by the SC despite the fact that Perez's car, for example, was far from the racing line and perfectly visible.

Vettel - IMHO he was a deserving winner, he looked ok with the car and had the chance to do what he does best: do a few very fast laps to undercut his rivals. After that the race was over. I don't agree with Leclerc's comments about Ferrari's strategy, they had to pit Vettel when the did because they had to cover both Verstappen as wel as Hamilton, pity Leclerc wasn't quicker. It was interesting watching Vettel as well as Leclerc in the corner with the TV camera mounted nearly vertical from the track, you could clearly see that wheres Vettel was driving very wide and clean lines Leclerc was using much more understeering, up to now the car suited Leclerc's driving style, it remains to be seen if in the next few races Ferrari's set up will allow Vettel to drive as he likes (and as he did today). I can't quite comment on whther Vettel should have been able by now to adapt his driving style to the 2019 Ferrari

Leclerc - he drove well but he should use his brain (and I think that the guy has some brain, unlike some of his peers) a bit more before making very bald statements: he lost the race because he didn't have the pace to match Vettel when it mattered, he had 3 SC restarts and wasted all of them. The guy is super talented and is a future (multiple) WDC but today Vettel gave him a lesson in racecreft.

Verstappen - he did well but he kept a wide berth from Leclerc, I know that the two have quite an history but it was very funny to watch since Verstappen normally is very aggressive with his fellow racers but that doesn't seem to be the case with Leclerc. I guess that we have all been fooled by Leclerc's good guy image

Hamilton - today he didn't have the pace to match Verstappen or the Ferraris, the way that Mercedes treated Bottas remind me of how Ferrari used to treat Barrichello, it wasn't nice and IMHO it wasn't fair nor necessary because Bottas is still in the race for the WDC and Hamilton has the talent to shine on his own merit.

Last edited:
If I ever suffer from insomnia then I think I will watch a re run of the that race.Would congratulate Sebastian Vettel winning in the fastest car,just reinforces the theory that he can only win from the front.

If I ever suffer from insomnia then I think I will watch a re run of the that race.Would congratulate Sebastian Vettel winning in the fastest car,just reinforces the theory that he can only win from the front.
Did you actually watched the race today? I am asking only because you seems to be lacking any knowledge about the starting grid.

Well, this is kind of an odd race.

Vettel/Leclerc: Leclerc looked faster than Vettel in most of the practice sessions (even though Vettel beat him in the first two) and was fastest in all three qualifying sessions.....but Vettel got the win while cruising around in third. This is really not the way things should work. Not entirely sure why they pitted Vettel first. May have been for very valid reasons (including where the traffic behind them was).

I would give "driver of the race" to Leclerc because of the rather impressive pole position lap he did. Not sure anyone did anything particularly impressive during the race, although there were some entertaining crashes further back.

Ferrari: It does look like they have gotten their act together, finally and too late. Might well be the dominant pair for the rest of the season. Makes me wonder about 2020.

Hamilton/Bottas: Sad actually. Hamilton clearly was not going to take a chance trying to pass Verstappen, so he got his 12 points, safely secured by Bottas deliberately slowing while Hamilton pitted. I guess this keeps Bottas employed, but he is no longer a race car driver, just a guy doing a job for his master.

This is really not justified. There are six races left and Hamilton is 96 points ahead of the nearest Ferrari. So even if they managed to pull off a 1-2 for the next six races, well......Hamilton could finish in 5th in the next six races and take the championship with points to spare. Pretty hard not to finish 5th in a Mercedes.

Anyhow, Mercedes may have made a strategic mistake that gave away Hamilton's chance for a win.

Verstappen/Albon: Solid race from Verstappen. Albon did well, but does not appear to ever have the speed of Verstappen.

Norris/Sainz: Norris drove a very good race. Sainz was up there with him until he was hit from behind by Hulkenberg. This is a good pair of drivers, with Norris looking plucky and promising and I fear Sainz eventually becoming the next Nico Hulkenberg.

Gasly: Good to see him back. Really good race and good result. We shall see if he can maintain it. Lately, he has been outqualifying Kvyat.

Hulkenberg: Drove like he didn't care, which seemed to work for him. Not the clean controlled driver that he usually is.

Giovinazzi: Lately has been getting the results. Not sure why.

Russell/Grosjean crash: I saw that as Russell's fault. The laws of physics tells us that two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time. Russell probably should have been aware of that.

Perez/Raikkonen/Ricciardo: All showed some speed, but could not get the results for various reasons.

Magnussen: Didn't show a lot of speed. Spent the race slowly moving backwards through the field. I really wonder if they should not have replaced him with Hulkenberg.

Well, this is kind of an odd race.

Vettel/Leclerc: Leclerc looked faster than Vettel in most of the practice sessions (even though Vettel beat him in the first two) and was fastest in all three qualifying sessions.....but Vettel got the win while cruising around in third. This is really not the way things should work. Not entirely sure why they pitted Vettel first. May have been for very valid reasons (including where the traffic behind them was).

I would give "driver of the race" to Leclerc because of the rather impressive pole position lap he did. Not sure anyone did anything particularly impressive during the race, although there were some entertaining crashes further back.

Ferrari: It does look like they have gotten their act together, finally and too late. Might well be the dominant pair for the rest of the season. Makes me wonder about 2020.

Hamilton/Bottas: Sad actually. Hamilton clearly was not going to take a chance trying to pass Verstappen, so he got his 12 points, safely secured by Bottas deliberately slowing while Hamilton pitted. I guess this keeps Bottas employed, but he is no longer a race car driver, just a guy doing a job for his master.

This is really not justified. There are six races left and Hamilton is 96 points ahead of the nearest Ferrari. So even if they managed to pull off a 1-2 for the next six races, well......Hamilton could finish in 5th in the next six races and take the championship with points to spare. Pretty hard not to finish 5th in a Mercedes.

Anyhow, Mercedes may have made a strategic mistake that gave away Hamilton's chance for a win.

Verstappen/Albon: Solid race from Verstappen. Albon did well, but does not appear to ever have the speed of Verstappen.

Norris/Sainz: Norris drove a very good race. Sainz was up there with him until he was hit from behind by Hulkenberg. This is a good pair of drivers, with Norris looking plucky and promising and I fear Sainz eventually becoming the next Nico Hulkenberg.

Gasly: Good to see him back. Really good race and good result. We shall see if he can maintain it. Lately, he has been outqualifying Kvyat.

Hulkenberg: Drove like he didn't care, which seemed to work for him. Not the clean controlled driver that he usually is.

Giovinazzi: Lately has been getting the results. Not sure why.

Russell/Grosjean crash: I saw that as Russell's fault. The laws of physics tells us that two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time. Russell probably should have been aware of that.

Perez/Raikkonen/Ricciardo: All showed some speed, but could not get the results for various reasons.

Magnussen: Didn't show a lot of speed. Spent the race slowly moving backwards through the field. I really wonder if they should not have replaced him with Hulkenberg.
Vettel won this race before (this was his 5th), thus I am not sure why is Leclerc surprised by it.

Vettel won this race before (this was his 5th), thus I am not sure why is Leclerc surprised by it.

Well, he was faster in P3, faster in all 3 qualifying sessions and was comfortably ahead of him before the pit stops. It is not like Vettel beat him on the track.

Back
Top Bottom