Grand Prix 2019 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Angel

🧸
Contributor
as i put on the other thread. for vettel to be told to push & leclerc not. is very unethical and behaviour you would expect from different teams
According to the column by Jolyon Palmer, Ferrari made a mistake, they did the undercut hoping to get ahead of Hamilton not expecting that Vettel would ever make up the 3.5 seconds needed to get ahead of Leclerc. Somehow the unexpected happened and Vettel did make up that time, whether he was exceptionally fast or Leclerc was slow or a bit of both, who knows? Once Vettel was ahead with Leclerc in second it wasn't really in their interest to ask Vettel to move over, especially when Vettel needed the win more than Leclerc in some ways.

Maybe they should have, but it's a judgement call and that moment in time they chose not to for whatever reason. By allowing Vettel to remain where he was they got a 1-2 finish which is an excellent result for them and not what they expected at that track. It hasn't helped the tension between their drivers, especially after Monza where Vettel gave Leclerc a tow in qualifying then got caught out when he didn't get one in return as agreed. It's easy for us to chew it over afterwards and say they should have done this or that, if they'd asked Vettel to have moved over they'd have upset him, by not asking him to move over they upset Leclerc, there was no third option that would satisfy them both sadly.

Izumi

Banned
Vettel had also slower pit stop than Leclerc by 0.4 sec, and he has overcome that as well. I am not hearing Leclerc complaining about it, just as he couldn't care less about Vettel in Monza after taking advantage of him first, and then team let Vettel hanging dry. To add insult to the injury, some fans want Leclerc to "retaliate" in the future. I am not sure if that is funny, or sad, but I think it will be either war, or for Seb this will be his last year with the red team, if not with F1.

Last edited:

BradMan

Rookie
According to the column by Jolyon Palmer, Ferrari made a mistake, they did the undercut hoping to get ahead of Hamilton not expecting that Vettel would ever make up the 3.5 seconds needed to get ahead of Leclerc. Somehow the unexpected happened and Vettel did make up that time, whether he was exceptionally fast or Leclerc was slow or a bit of both, who knows? Once Vettel was ahead with Leclerc in second it wasn't really in their interest to ask Vettel to move over, especially when Vettel needed the win more than Leclerc in some ways.

Maybe they should have, but it's a judgement call and that moment in time they chose not to for whatever reason. By allowing Vettel to remain where he was they got a 1-2 finish which is an excellent result for them and not what they expected at that track. It hasn't helped the tension between their drivers, especially after Monza where Vettel gave Leclerc a tow in qualifying then got caught out when he didn't get one in return as agreed. It's easy for us to chew it over afterwards and say they should have done this or that, if they'd asked Vettel to have moved over they'd have upset him, by not asking him to move over they upset Leclerc, there was no third option that would satisfy them both sadly.
abit of both

Carlos7182

Browser
Thanks ruslan. Dont get me wrong I love the sport and have been an avid fan since i could walk. I'll never stop watching it. But to watch them drive at a pace that is slower than other formulas for 20-30laps and they still cant pass and follow each other to preserve tyres then it just seems like it's a pointless race especially when it ends up gifting the race to your team mate.

RasputinLives

So Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Contributor
Welcome Carlos7182 have to agree with you that F1 needs a serious shake up. In some ways it was good to see the field so close together in Singapore which made the the big teams have to think about strategy and not have it all their own way. But when you realised it was all artificially then it left me feeling the same way a DRS overtake does....empty.

Ruslan

Podium Finisher
Thanks ruslan. Dont get me wrong I love the sport and have been an avid fan since i could walk. I'll never stop watching it. But to watch them drive at a pace that is slower than other formulas for 20-30laps and they still cant pass and follow each other to preserve tyres then it just seems like it's a pointless race especially when it ends up gifting the race to your team mate.
I actually don't mind a strategic race where people have to preserve and maintain their tires and cars. That used to occur a lot in the earlier years of F1. So, I thought the first 20-30 laps was fairly interesting. The fact that it did not turn into anything interesting, and positions were sorted out by the vagrancies of pit stopping, made it a poor race. But F1 has rarely been a two-hour sprint race.

-------
P.S. If you use "@" and then the name "Carlos7182" then it will notify the person they have a post referencing them, like this: Carlos7182

Izumi

Banned
So, Singapore race is over, all people interested in objective evidence can, if they care, understand circumstances what happened at Ferrari camp. Vettel made up in clean air, overcoming delay in pits about 4 sec in total, and marginally overcame gap to the lead position. Good for him, I say. There was no evil intent to harm anyone, and that's how cookie crumbles sometimes in racing. I remain however at lost why internet is talking about controversial win. Shouldn't some people perhaps ask (as they won't), whether they letting their personal hatred of a person little too far, blaring all borders of decency?

Last edited:

Bleu

Points Scorer
IMO Singapore has almost always been a race where first 10-15 laps are generally uninteresting. Once pit stops start and there are more differences in tyre conditions it gets better.

The bottom of the grid was more interesting to take risks in this race. The slow pace early in the race probably affected that since Albon who was the worst of the top teams would not have been able to pit during the first safety car without losing positions.

But in general we saw lots of overtaking on fresh tyres vs. old so I think pitting in his case would have been bad idea. Drivers like Norris, Magnussen and Räikkönen should have been easy overtakes on fresher tyres just like we saw top drivers getting around Gasly and Giovinazzi when they were mixing up in the front before the stops.

Top Bottom