Grand Prix 2015 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The penultimate test before the start of the season is under way so time for us all to speculate on what will happen in Australia as the teams actually race one another for the first time under the revised eco-regs. Gone are the anteater snouts, although the cars still aren't particularly pretty (to my eye at least) and we have a mix up on the driver front.

Mercedes continue with double World Champion Lewis Hamilton, who wont use car No.1 (BOO!) and Nico Rosberg whilst their likely challenges have been playing musical chairs. Fernando Alonso has gone back to McLaren and Ron Dennis is doing his Basil Fawlty impression "don't mentioned 2007. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it" and JB retains his seat after fevered speculation :sleeping: that he would be dropped in favour of K Mag to see how well Honda can do on their return to F1 after a 6 year absence.

Vettel slips into Fernando's seat at Ferrari with the hope of dragging the red menace back to it's Schumacher glory days or perhaps even back to it's real glory days of being "The" F1 team. Kimi Raikkonen carries on Ferrari, presumably the team management saw something else last season compared to us humble fans to justify keeping him on for another bash. Either that or they discovered that Alonso had been feeding Kimi Magnum's laced with mogadon.

The Honey Badger will smile his way through the season as Red Bull's defacto No.1 with Danni Kyvat taking his place as the junior driver. What chance of a repeat of 2014 with the new boy at Red Bull showing the incumbent how it's done? Will Renault have manged to close the gap to the Mercedes power unit? As the only other team to win a race in 2014 Red Bull should be best placed to challenge the Mercedes but who knows what the other teams have been up to over the winter.

No change at Williams, Massa and Bottas continue with Mercedes power. I still can't get used to Williams Mercedes but then I'm just an old git. Assuming Williams have the same system behind the driver as the works team and their car has evolved over the winter could we see Frank's team challenging for wins?

The RB junior team has a completely new line up with Carlos Sainz and Max Verstappen at Toro Rosso. I would suggest they are as likely to be allowed to beat the main Red Bull team as Williams are the Mercs but then I'm just cynical.

Lotus, or Team Enstone as some might say, continue with Grosjean and some bloke with braces on his teeth and a huge bag full of petro dollars, this time with a Merc engine to push it along. Gone is the double nose in favour of a far more orthodox car. They should be able to challenge Force India for places this season but I doubt they will be much higher up. FI have a stable driver line up with Hulkenberg and Perez but there is much speculation about the dire state of their finances as rumours abound that Vijay Mallay is on his uppers. It may explain the haircut as he can't have paid for someone to do that to his head.

And finally to Sauber. Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson have replaced Gutirrez and Sutil, I woudl presume because of the size of pay cheque they can provide. Sauber need a good season as scoring Null Points in 2014 must have cost them big in the FOM prize money pay out. They have also been very conservative in their car design but if testing is to be believed it's a fairly speedy machine and I cannot believe they won't pick up a few points this year.

Marussia or Manor GP are threatening to turn up in last years car just to make Bob Fernley feel guilty for vetoing the idea of team using the 2014 car for the first 2 or 3 races but, as has been pointed out in the past, this is the Piranha Club so don't expect any favours from the other teams.

So what to expect at Albert Park? I suspect Mercedes will still be the team to beat but the gap will have closed to Red Bull and Ferrari. Williams will be a subservient No.2 team and be close but not quite close enough. In the midfield I expect lots of racing as the team left in F1 for 2015 all appear to be very similar in terms of machinery, cash and driver capabilities. The big unanswered question is how the Mclaren Honda will perform and I don't think we will find that out until FP1 on the Friday or even come the end of the race on Sunday.

Welcome back F1, we have missed you.

I'd like to see the FIA recognise that their regulations are strangling the sport at present. Great to see Mercedes strong but the other teams need more freedom to develop and test and that includes Ferrari. Ferrari have made gains but they're still miles off Mercedes pace. With the introduction of such a complex power unit the FIA should have removed much of the testing restrictions and also allowed the use of more engines per year. It seems contradictory to introduce very complex power units then only allow four a year, then make it doubly difficult by restricting testing. Freeing up both factors for just a two year period would allow manufacturers to develop and test which would increase the field with reliable cars. At present why would new manufacturers even contemplate entering F1 seeing the difficulties that are confronting Honda with all their resources. Freeing up the regulations would give fans the chance of seeing full grids of competitive reliable cars, at least far more so than at present.

A beautifly orchestrated 1-2 by Mercedes there and with drivers drivers finishing in the desired order to boot.

Oh and by the way all things being equal Nico does not have the talent to beat Lewis in a straight fight which is why this is going to be the sixth boring season in a row.

Whilst I appreciate your candour Meph, you completely miss the point of sporting endeavour. It is not about winning or losing, it is about taking part, striving to be the best you can be. Not being better than your opponent on a given day is not the end of the world. Working out how to compete with a superior foe with the tools and abilities at your disposal is what it is all about. Were it not for the fact that Red Bull appeared to be invincible Mercedes and their drivers would not be performing as they are today. This is the nature of sport, beating, or crushing a superior force and becoming the force to beat is the natural order of things.

Appalling television coverage is less acceptable than the natural order of things.

Last edited:
The Pits ... Yes they do. The new engine regulations were made by the FIA. Ecclestone was against them but the FIA pressed on with the new regulations regardless. They consult the teams but the final call is theirs.
Charlie Whiting is the FIA representative to make sure stewards rulings adhere to the FIA regulations.

Last edited:
The fact that Renault and Honda seem to find it so difficult to make a decent engine Kewee is not Mercedes' fault. They've done a much better job than anyone else at it (not to mention their chassis too - as Damon Hill said today, they've made a very difficult job look easy) and they would be unfairly penalised for their success if the rules were freed up just to help the others.
It would be a form of handicapping and F1 has never been about that; It's up to the competition to come up with the goods within the rules prevailing at the time.

Chad Stewarthill ..... I'm not blaming Mercedes Chad. If you read my posting again you'll notice I said it's great to see Mercedes so strong. I don't believe they would be penalised in any way, all the teams, including Mercedes would benefit from freeing up testing and allowing more engines. These are incredibly complex units and to expect teams to survive on four in a twenty race season could end up ruining the racing as we reach the last third of the season. As I said any change to the regulations would be for everyone so I don't see that as handicapping. I'm not a fan of F1's regulations. I'd like to see a given engine capacity and allow the individual teams decide what engine configuration to use. They could still have an additional ERS unit.

Last edited:
The FIA and Bernie and the public are constantly tinkering, sticking their oar and bickering. Constantly changing the regulations is what makes F1 so bloody expensive and negates the law of diminishing return. Not changing the regulations is actually the most pro-active thing any one can do right now. But this is not what will happen because humans are seldom capable of doing nothing.

Lao Tzu said:
"A truly good man does nothing, Yet nothing is left undone. A foolish man is always doing, Yet much remains to be done."

snowy ...... I'm actually happy with the regulations as they are, I would just like to see testing opened up and maybe six engines instead of four a year were allowed, considering the complexity of the power units. I don't believe Toyota, Volkswagen or any other major manufacturer would even consider F1 at present unless testing is freed up at the very least.

sushifiesta the boos are most likely for Vettel who is cast as a pantomine villian in the Aussie media for the reason why Webber is not world champion and probably also the Aussies are loving it that Ricciardo drove him out of Red Bull but probably peeved he is on the podium not Danny boy

Who would you have thought Mclaren last and 2 seconds slower than the slowest car ... yes beaten by pointless (and possibly assets seized ) Sauber

Even Ericsson scored points:o it has been a strange week for Sauber

Red Bull I guess there will be some angry faces in the garage with a bit of finger pointing about how they were way off the pace

Kewee

The fia have a voice on the group which vote on the regulations. The f1 strategy group, along with the commercial rights holder also have votes. The f1 commission, which ratifies these is made up of all sorts.

As i recall, the current engine regs were brought in before the strategy group were in place, so the technical working group would serve that function.

The fia may have proposed a change, and lobbied, but they can only push through on changes based on safety, or sporting matters. They also enforce the tech regs, have a strong voice in proposing them, and a third of the votes to approve them. They also happen to be an easy target for the criticism, god knows they larhely deserve it

But they do not take some responsibilityfor creating the regs.

Finally watched the race after failing to keep my eyes open this morning, fell asleep during the pre-race show. F1 is certainly a mess right now. Well done Sauber and all the new drivers, if not for them the whole race would have been a total shambles.

Who would have predicted Maldonado crashing on the 1st lap!

Have to feel a bit sorry for K-Mag though. Called in to replace Fernando and after all that he won't even register as having taken part in the 2015 Australian GP.

Back
Top Bottom