Grand Prix 2015 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The penultimate test before the start of the season is under way so time for us all to speculate on what will happen in Australia as the teams actually race one another for the first time under the revised eco-regs. Gone are the anteater snouts, although the cars still aren't particularly pretty (to my eye at least) and we have a mix up on the driver front.

Mercedes continue with double World Champion Lewis Hamilton, who wont use car No.1 (BOO!) and Nico Rosberg whilst their likely challenges have been playing musical chairs. Fernando Alonso has gone back to McLaren and Ron Dennis is doing his Basil Fawlty impression "don't mentioned 2007. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it" and JB retains his seat after fevered speculation :sleeping: that he would be dropped in favour of K Mag to see how well Honda can do on their return to F1 after a 6 year absence.

Vettel slips into Fernando's seat at Ferrari with the hope of dragging the red menace back to it's Schumacher glory days or perhaps even back to it's real glory days of being "The" F1 team. Kimi Raikkonen carries on Ferrari, presumably the team management saw something else last season compared to us humble fans to justify keeping him on for another bash. Either that or they discovered that Alonso had been feeding Kimi Magnum's laced with mogadon.

The Honey Badger will smile his way through the season as Red Bull's defacto No.1 with Danni Kyvat taking his place as the junior driver. What chance of a repeat of 2014 with the new boy at Red Bull showing the incumbent how it's done? Will Renault have manged to close the gap to the Mercedes power unit? As the only other team to win a race in 2014 Red Bull should be best placed to challenge the Mercedes but who knows what the other teams have been up to over the winter.

No change at Williams, Massa and Bottas continue with Mercedes power. I still can't get used to Williams Mercedes but then I'm just an old git. Assuming Williams have the same system behind the driver as the works team and their car has evolved over the winter could we see Frank's team challenging for wins?

The RB junior team has a completely new line up with Carlos Sainz and Max Verstappen at Toro Rosso. I would suggest they are as likely to be allowed to beat the main Red Bull team as Williams are the Mercs but then I'm just cynical.

Lotus, or Team Enstone as some might say, continue with Grosjean and some bloke with braces on his teeth and a huge bag full of petro dollars, this time with a Merc engine to push it along. Gone is the double nose in favour of a far more orthodox car. They should be able to challenge Force India for places this season but I doubt they will be much higher up. FI have a stable driver line up with Hulkenberg and Perez but there is much speculation about the dire state of their finances as rumours abound that Vijay Mallay is on his uppers. It may explain the haircut as he can't have paid for someone to do that to his head.

And finally to Sauber. Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson have replaced Gutirrez and Sutil, I woudl presume because of the size of pay cheque they can provide. Sauber need a good season as scoring Null Points in 2014 must have cost them big in the FOM prize money pay out. They have also been very conservative in their car design but if testing is to be believed it's a fairly speedy machine and I cannot believe they won't pick up a few points this year.

Marussia or Manor GP are threatening to turn up in last years car just to make Bob Fernley feel guilty for vetoing the idea of team using the 2014 car for the first 2 or 3 races but, as has been pointed out in the past, this is the Piranha Club so don't expect any favours from the other teams.

So what to expect at Albert Park? I suspect Mercedes will still be the team to beat but the gap will have closed to Red Bull and Ferrari. Williams will be a subservient No.2 team and be close but not quite close enough. In the midfield I expect lots of racing as the team left in F1 for 2015 all appear to be very similar in terms of machinery, cash and driver capabilities. The big unanswered question is how the Mclaren Honda will perform and I don't think we will find that out until FP1 on the Friday or even come the end of the race on Sunday.

Welcome back F1, we have missed you.

For me, the two highlights were the re-emergence of Kimi and the deeming of Manor to have "participated" in the race (in order to gain their $10m bonus) without ever turning a wheel!!!!! I wonder what kind of precedent THAT sets?

Does Kimi's newfound pace show how totally focused the team was on Alonso, last year?

There's a petition going around to re-instate Jeremy Clarkson, maybe we should put together a list of things we want in Formula 1 and get a petition going? I'm thrilled for Lewis winning but think it's sad that any Renault powered car is doomed to poor results. Opening up testing and allowing more engines to be used would go a long way to alleviating this problem. Or just drop the fuel flow regulation and see what happens.

Given the performance difference between the Mercedes team and the other teams with Mercedes power units, I find myself wondering whether the customers are being given the same power units as the "factory" uses, or are all of their designers THAT BAD relative to the Mercedes team's?

Don't think its that bad siffert_fan. Force India have their own problems going on and Lotus are new customers so bound to have teething troubles with the engine. Williams are certainly on the pace

Here's Pat Symonds on that ludicrous notion;

Williams' technical boss Pat Symonds agrees: "Over a lap, the Ferrari engine is basically at Mercedes' level.

"Over the winter Mercedes has made massive gains in downforce," he is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

"Having the short nose last year is paying off for them now, as they have a year's experience over those who are only now starting with that concept," Symonds added.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115031490524/car-not-engine-explains-mercedes-gap

I do not expect this to alter anyone's delusions however

Williams is clearly the best of them, but they are only approximately equal to Ferrari, and are nowhere near the pace of the factory (which annoys me because I am a Williams team fan).

. With the introduction of such a complex power unit the FIA should have removed much of the testing restrictions and also allowed the use of more engines per year. It seems contradictory to introduce very complex power units then only allow four a year, then make it doubly difficult by restricting testing. .

This fact from what I thought was your excellent post Kewee, was something which I truly found unbelievable by the FIA, to lower the engine availability count before a penalty, from five last season to four in 2015.

KekeTheKing - I totally agree with you. When Force India are miles off Williams (about the same distance as Williams to Mercedes), then we don't assume inferior engines. Lotus were down on Red Bull by a similar amount last season, we don't assume inferior engines.

It is easier to be a factory team (should you have the funds); Mercedes and Ferrari develop their chassis holistically, while Williams bolt the Mercedes engine optimised for Mercedes into their machine.

all of their designers THAT BAD relative to the Mercedes team's?

I think the budget between Mercedes and Williams really does have that discrepancy; Brawn/Merc have been significantly ahead of them since 2009. The order is actually eerily similar to the second quarter of 2009, offset by engine quality, if you think about it.

I just finished watching the Sky post-race show and there was only a brief mention of that little tiff at the end of Kravitz' notebook.

I really need to see the video of this exchange. Nico's decision to jump in with the retirement stuff is a bit bizarre.

Kewee

The fia have a voice on the group which vote on the regulations. The f1 strategy group, along with the commercial rights holder also have votes. The f1 commission, which ratifies these is made up of all sorts.

As i recall, the current engine regs were brought in before the strategy group were in place, so the technical working group would serve that function.

The fia may have proposed a change, and lobbied, but they can only push through on changes based on safety, or sporting matters. They also enforce the tech regs, have a strong voice in proposing them, and a third of the votes to approve them. They also happen to be an easy target for the criticism, god knows they larhely deserve it

But they do not take some responsibilityfor creating the regs.
I'm aware of all the input from various groups relating to regulations but ultimately it's the FIA that proposes changes to the rules, make all the parties aware of its stance and then signs off on any new rule changes. If there were to be changes to the amount of testing or the number of engines used during a season its the FIA that have the power to make these changes.

That was better than Arnie telling everyone that he'll "be watching them next race" LOL

It's the first bit that I really want to see. Judging by his reaction Nico was totally caught off guard.

:sick: I must admit to having a bit of sick come up in my mouth at the qualifying press conference as the two Merc drivers gushed about the team.

The interviews by most of the drivers have become so tedious. The problem is if they go off-message slightly they open themselves up to all sorts of criticism in the media and on internet forums, so it's safer just to state the same old bland thanks to the team and the fans etc. and appear as humble as possible.

I'd wrote all that before hacing watched the Nico/Seb exchange above - that's more like it! Lewis doesn't really know where to look - he obviously wants no part in this!

Last edited:
Am I the only one wondering what Alonso's thoughts are on Seb's performance today? Most of us thought this would be ayear of total chaos at Ferrari with the apparent upheaval, but it certainly seems to be an improvement over last year.

Back
Top Bottom