Grand Prix 2015 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The penultimate test before the start of the season is under way so time for us all to speculate on what will happen in Australia as the teams actually race one another for the first time under the revised eco-regs. Gone are the anteater snouts, although the cars still aren't particularly pretty (to my eye at least) and we have a mix up on the driver front.

Mercedes continue with double World Champion Lewis Hamilton, who wont use car No.1 (BOO!) and Nico Rosberg whilst their likely challenges have been playing musical chairs. Fernando Alonso has gone back to McLaren and Ron Dennis is doing his Basil Fawlty impression "don't mentioned 2007. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it" and JB retains his seat after fevered speculation :sleeping: that he would be dropped in favour of K Mag to see how well Honda can do on their return to F1 after a 6 year absence.

Vettel slips into Fernando's seat at Ferrari with the hope of dragging the red menace back to it's Schumacher glory days or perhaps even back to it's real glory days of being "The" F1 team. Kimi Raikkonen carries on Ferrari, presumably the team management saw something else last season compared to us humble fans to justify keeping him on for another bash. Either that or they discovered that Alonso had been feeding Kimi Magnum's laced with mogadon.

The Honey Badger will smile his way through the season as Red Bull's defacto No.1 with Danni Kyvat taking his place as the junior driver. What chance of a repeat of 2014 with the new boy at Red Bull showing the incumbent how it's done? Will Renault have manged to close the gap to the Mercedes power unit? As the only other team to win a race in 2014 Red Bull should be best placed to challenge the Mercedes but who knows what the other teams have been up to over the winter.

No change at Williams, Massa and Bottas continue with Mercedes power. I still can't get used to Williams Mercedes but then I'm just an old git. Assuming Williams have the same system behind the driver as the works team and their car has evolved over the winter could we see Frank's team challenging for wins?

The RB junior team has a completely new line up with Carlos Sainz and Max Verstappen at Toro Rosso. I would suggest they are as likely to be allowed to beat the main Red Bull team as Williams are the Mercs but then I'm just cynical.

Lotus, or Team Enstone as some might say, continue with Grosjean and some bloke with braces on his teeth and a huge bag full of petro dollars, this time with a Merc engine to push it along. Gone is the double nose in favour of a far more orthodox car. They should be able to challenge Force India for places this season but I doubt they will be much higher up. FI have a stable driver line up with Hulkenberg and Perez but there is much speculation about the dire state of their finances as rumours abound that Vijay Mallay is on his uppers. It may explain the haircut as he can't have paid for someone to do that to his head.

And finally to Sauber. Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson have replaced Gutirrez and Sutil, I woudl presume because of the size of pay cheque they can provide. Sauber need a good season as scoring Null Points in 2014 must have cost them big in the FOM prize money pay out. They have also been very conservative in their car design but if testing is to be believed it's a fairly speedy machine and I cannot believe they won't pick up a few points this year.

Marussia or Manor GP are threatening to turn up in last years car just to make Bob Fernley feel guilty for vetoing the idea of team using the 2014 car for the first 2 or 3 races but, as has been pointed out in the past, this is the Piranha Club so don't expect any favours from the other teams.

So what to expect at Albert Park? I suspect Mercedes will still be the team to beat but the gap will have closed to Red Bull and Ferrari. Williams will be a subservient No.2 team and be close but not quite close enough. In the midfield I expect lots of racing as the team left in F1 for 2015 all appear to be very similar in terms of machinery, cash and driver capabilities. The big unanswered question is how the Mclaren Honda will perform and I don't think we will find that out until FP1 on the Friday or even come the end of the race on Sunday.

Welcome back F1, we have missed you.

siffert_fan Nope Alonso will more concerned that Mclaren still have not been able to race at full speed rather than worry about Vettel and Ferrari

------------------------------

A couple of people who will be gutted today - Jolyon Palmer.. all the rookies made good account of themselves today including his championship rival last year Nasr.

Alex Lynn - he could have been in the STR which is a lot closer to the front running teams than expected...although he might be substituting for Bottas the next race given Claire Williams said it will not be Susie Wolff as "She is a test driver NOT a reserve driver " notice the clue in the wording

Who's to say that all those involved in the chaos of last year at Ferrari have moved on, which includes a certain driver, and that is how they have managed to settle so quickly into the new routine?

The development war will need to get seroulsy hot to get that gap closed but you only have to look at Red Bull last year to see what can happen when the Mercs have issues.

I have to admit that I have been wondering if Kimi's uptick in form isn't due to FA's having left.

With all of the restrictions on testing thru the year, I really don't see how anyone can seriously close the gap to Mercedes. Renault might make some progress, as they have the most "tokens" (a ridiculous concept IMO) left, and they need to make a LOT of progress.

Raikkonen's luck varied between bad and atrocious. He got a good start, going into turn one he was level with Vettel, only to be forced onto the kerb (did Vettel really say that he was sorry that only one Ferrari finished), then having managed to get some of his position back Ferrari managed to mess up his pit stop, but he did get away and do some fastest laps. The team then started to get worried about this as it hasn't happened for a few years, so they put a stop to this nonsense, sending him out with four wheels but only three nuts.

LOL I'm laughing at your post Bill Boddy not the ramifications of having an unsafe release for Kimi which will cost him a grid penalty in the next race I believe.

Also we are only one race in and we have lost two engines one Honda and one Renault who's bright idea was it to cut the number of power units allowed from 5 to 4 even 5 was pushing it last year.

And on the engine note does anyone know if the engine that Kmag lost counts as one of Alonso's power units because if it does that means a driver who wasn't even driving at the time loses a power unit? :twisted:

Last edited:
I was absolutely gutted to see that sloppy pit stop. It made me wonder if the way the signaling is done between crew members is a problem - if raised hands mean a problem, that means you have to take your hands off what you're doing, which, if someone jumps the gun, will mean an unsafe release. Surely the better way to do it would be hands up means all's good, like with calf roping competitions?

which will cost him a grid penalty in the next race I believe.

upload_2015-3-16_1-2-35.png

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...315/15.03 - Stewards Decision - Raikkonen.pdf

Well sucks ass, just another reason why F1 isn't working at the moment how do we know that the engine wasn't damaged when Kmag stuck it in be wall...?

Last edited:
Did they actually manage to change that rear left tyre on Kimi's car? I rewound a few times trying to figure what was going on and couldn't see the old wheel even coming off. I wasn't concentrating too hard though.

Cripes, there's an awful lot more going on than the crumbs the BBC showed yesterday. We didn't know the half of it!
Thanks Bushi for putting up the post race clip, that was very amusing, I'd like to have seen the first exchange too.
It wasn't the best race in the world was it? Wasn't the worst either so grateful for small mercies.
Why oh why didn't Williams not run their reserve driver??!! What numpties throwing away potential points like that. With only 11 in the field they'd have had a pretty good chance of scoring & every point counts.
If things carry on as is with engines there's going to be some penalties by Monaco.
I wonder how Alonso is feeling? One engine down without driving and seeing what could have been his car finishing on the podium.
I bet he's not a happy chap.
Does anyone know what the message meant that appeared on the start line before the warm-up lap? The Bye Ron from Bernie one?
It puzzled our household.

Despite the predictable Mercedes run away the race was redeemed by the rookies who in my opinion did a grand job. I know the lack of cars flattered some of the positions but they did get their cars around safely and showed some very mature driving.
Not something I say very often but I felt sorry for Maldonado, bit tough on him getting punted out and Kimi's luck continues, Ferrari really need to look at their release system (again).

All this was explained on the Sky coverage! Ron is Ron Walker, former mayor of Melbourne and organiser of sporting events.
Williams couldn't use a reserve driver as it was too late. If the rules allowed it they obviously would have.

If the rules allowed it they obviously would have.
I'm not so sure about that.

When questioned yesterday about Malaysia, they stated that Susie Wolff is a test driver, not a reserve driver, so it's unlikely she would stand in for Bottas if he is still out of action.

In saying that when Pat Symonds was asked directly if Susie Wolff would be driving in Malaysia he was very evasive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom