Things ... 2015 - 2016 Silly Season. The Drivers Market.

Hulkenberg is too tall, he makes the team compromise on the car design so will never end up with a top drive. Also, there are many drivers as good, if not better, to choose from.

Justin Wilson has 4 inches on both of those guys. Much less talented. Didn't get a top drive.

Anyways thanks Dash Racing those point systems are pretty messed up in some ways. Formula Two doesn't even exist, and Formula 3 gets more points than Formula Renault 3.5 and as many as IndyCar? GP2, FR3.5, and IndyCar should all be equal on the top step in my opinion. Maybe with WEC there too.

soccerman17 Was not aware that A Rossi and Gutierrez have a loathing relationship but I think Ferrari will make Haas pick one of those guys seeing it appeals to US and Mexicans

I still think Haas will want an experienced proven driver in F1 and apparently Hulkenberg might get it in order to prove he is worth the Ferrari drive

Justin Wilson thrashed Webber in F3000, Webber got into F1 quicker by knowing Minardi boss Stoddart.

This is true of the 2001 F3000 season, but Webber did have 5 DNF's that season to Wilson's 1. As a thought experiment I tried only counting points scored in races that both of them finished which resulted in them tying in points, although Wilson's mean finishing position was slightly higher (2.7 vs. 3.5). On the other hand all of Webber's DNF's were accident-related, but as I don't have the footage at hand I don't know whether any of them were his fault (4 of them were first lap multi-car accidents).

It was also Wilson's third season in F3000; Webber was only in his second season. It was Webber's 8th season of car racing and at least the 7th season for Wilson, possibly more. Wilson's first two F3000 seasons were rather mixed; 20th in his debut season (1999) was terrible, and 5th in his second season still isn't hugely impressive. Webber finished 3rd in his debut season (2000) ahead of Wilson and a very inexperienced rookie named Fernando Alonso, then followed it up with 2nd the next season.

I don't put much weight onto junior results that are achieved multiple seasons into a given category, so Webber's results in F3000 impress me a little more than Wilson's, although they were both very experienced making both their results unimpressive. Their pre-F3000 results seem broadly similar, being decent but unspectacular in entry-level series (Formula Ford for Webber, Formula Vauxhall for Wilson), with Webber also taking a 4th on debut in F3 and Wilson winning Formula Palmer Audi on debut.

Knowing Stoddart undoubtedly helped Webber into F1 though; he wasn't getting anywhere near a seat purely on merit.

Interesting news apparently about Gene Haas as I was reading the f1 gossip on BBC sport has been talking about who tops his shortlist for Haas F1 ahead of the team's debut campaign in 2016. & they are Jean Eric Vergne, Esteban Gutierrez and surprisingly Nico Hulkenberg I would say Gutierrez is front runner to satisfy Ferrari & Bring the Mexican cash then rossi or another American/indycar driver to help satisfy Americans

Haas reveals driver shortlist

If Vandoorne doesn't make it on the grid next year I stop watching f1 all together.........Esteban Gutierrez FFS!!!

Agree might be a shame for jenson but I would be amazed if vandoorne isnt in a mclaren/f1 seat next season after such dominant display where I think he's realistically won GP2 title by British round with 80pt lead. After the last few yrs of valsechhi leimer & palmer where it tutning more into a dead end than a progression it might kill GP2

^The problem with GP2 is that it favours experience over talent, albeit not deliberately. It's why there has been a string of underwhelming (relative) nobodies sitting around in the sport for 4-5 years before finally figuring out how to drive the cars, and then going on to win the title. The reason drier like Leimer and Valsechhi got nowhere near a drive despite winning GP2 is because nobody cares about it if it takes them that long to get the job done, unless they have a ridiculous amount of sponsorship like Maldonado did.

Palmer finished 28th and 11th overall in his first two GP2 seasons.
Leimer finished 19th and 14th.
Valsechhi finished 15th and 17th.
Maldonado finished 11th and 5th.

Then occasionally you get drivers like Vandoorne who rock up and finished 2nd in his debut season despite the series being clogged up with the aforementioned repeat pay-drivers. He looks like something pretty special at this stage.

Statistics for the Drivers Market

1508F1TeamMate_Compare.jpg

Those stats make you realise how much Massa has raised his game this year...and what a total ****ing waste of space Pastor is.

I don't like how Sky compiled those stats. For example, there has only been two races where both McLaren drivers finished - China and Hungary - and Alonso was ahead in both. If you expand the sample to only exclude races that both started but neither suffered a mechanical DNF then Silverstone rather unfairly counts as another loss for Button, making it 3 - 0 to Alonso.

However, because they have simply taken their respective classified finishing positions in the races and based the stats solely on that, Button is listed as 5 - 3 up on Alonso. Which is just silliness, never mind the fact that when Alonso DNF'd he was ahead of Button on track on all but 1 occasion; Monaco.
They've also failed to ignore qualifying sessions where one driver was unable to set a representative time. By my eye if you do that then the qualifying tally is 4 - 2 to Alonso (Button ahead in China/Malaysia, Alonso in Spain, Austria, Britain and Hungary).

These problems apply to every pairing, although the McLaren drivers are affected worst by it. So I modified it:

NXGSz6I.png

I disagree that Massa has raised his game this year. Last year the two were also very close, but Massa's abnormal amount of bad luck prevented him from showing it. It was 11 - 6 to Bottas in qualifying last year and 10 - 8 in races. However, after altering the results to correct for Massa's luck (or lack thereof) it ends up as 11 - 8 to Massa in races instead.
Even without correcting for the bad luck overall it is 14 - 12 to Bottas in Qualifying and 15 - 12 in races. If you 'fix' last years results as above then the overall race tally stands at 15 - 13 to Massa.

Either way those two are incredibly closely matched, so it's safe to say I don't buy the hype around Bottas. At all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Massa's and think he is frequently underrated, but if Bottas was the next big thing as some seem to think then we would expect him to easily beat Massa. Currently we would have to conclude that Bottas, Massa and Raikkonen are roughly equal to one another, so quite why Ferrari want Bottas I don't know.

I'm even less impressed with Hulkenberg though. I mean, his qualifying pace is very impressive (20 - 9 advantage overall vs. Perez), but a 13 - 11 advantage in races is less impressive. Kobayashi beat Perez 16 - 13, Button beat him 11 - 5.

I think Button might have the edge on Alonso for quali, or they are very closely matched. Often enough they end up with a technical problem during quali and we cannot really see who's the faster driver for Q. For example; in Hungary, Button was a tenth and something slower than Alonso. But, he had issue with ERS deployment, so one would think he might have done a better time than Alonso, and then who knows what would have happened in the next part. Though, Alonso would have been out with Q1 in that case.

Back
Top Bottom