Things ... 2015 - 2016 Silly Season. The Drivers Market.

Spinodontosaurus you are very good with stats and trends that much is obvious. Can I just re-ask though - did you actually watch the GP2 in 2014 and see Palmer's performance or are you just going off his career stats?

I watched some races, not all, GP2 isn't all that interesting to me for whatever reason. But my point is that he took so long to reach that kind of performance that his F1 prospects are not good.

I actually think a bit of development for Jolyon is very useful. I take the point him and Nasr were teammates and Nasr outscored him in 2013 but you overlook the fact that Nasr stayed with the same team for 2014 and Palmer went to Dams and used his experience and beat Nasr to the the title

It is shown simply thrusting someone who's hot prospect from Gp2 or F3.5 does not mean they are going to hit off straight away. Verstappen on his part is still very immature despite all his speed and bravery compared to his teammate Sainz who's 2 years older

I think it is also unfair to say Jolyon took so long to reach that kind of performance.. when in fact his first two seasons in Gp2 were with teams who have not been front runners for a while in the series. The one thing missing from Jolyon was consistency because he showed he can win races but was not as consistent in his early years

Jolyon Palmer is only 24 years old so 2 years older when Hamilton made his F1 debut and probably will show a bit more maturity than some of the hotheaded rookies more recently

Last edited:
woke up to find out that Esteban Gutierrez has joined Haas F1, which just makes me remind me of this as it probally how journalists reacted (but obviously rachels not pregnant :p )

mex 1.jpg

I presume Gutierrez brings a large suitcase of dollars with him as well as keeping Ferrari happy on the engine side of things. Ecclestone must have been acting as an adviser to the team, although I don't think Romain Grosjean is in the same league as Nelson Piquet.

I presume Gutierrez brings a large suitcase of dollars with him

Surprisingly Gutierrez has never had any major backers as an individual. His Mexican nationality brings in sponsors but he himself comes with very little backing. The reason he landed the Sauber drive was because Telmex had a clause saying that Sauber must run a Mexican driver. When Perez left that didn't leave them with much option. He was also the only driver not mixed up in the 'sueing Sauber' thing earlier in the year because he didn't give them any funds.

He landed the Ferrari test drive pretty quick when he was dropped from Sauber so somewhere someone in the background rates his skills. Personally I think he might be considered this generations Pedro De La Rosa - great at developing a car, not so great at racing it.

I should add that Ferrari had secured some Mexican sponsors so choosing Gutierrez made business sense to please Ferrari backers and they were pressing for him to be in a Ferrari

As for silly season concerned with the situation at Mercedes getting tense now there is suggestion Max Verstappen would be high on the wanted list?

Mercedes do like promoting their own young drivers so someone will have to overrule Toto who seem to back Wehrlein to go for Mad Max

RasputinLives Not since they've returned to F1 but before Mercedes were run by Norbert Haug who helped Di Resta get a seat at Force India but once he quit there was less support for Di Resta

When they returned to F1 the board were keen for German champion in a Merc and you could say hiring Schumacher fitted the bill given he was one of their young drivers even though it was 20 years too late

BUT when that did not work they needed a world class driver to replace him and only Hamilton fit the bill.

It appears Toto is very keen to promote Wehrlein first to go to Manor before promoting to the factory team so it will show if he does have leverage or will be overruled by Lauda if Verstappen is supposedly a serious option

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom