Grand Prix 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So, after the thrills and (mainly) spills that was Australia, we move onto the greenhouse that is Malaysia for the second round of the championship. Situated just outside of the capital Kuala Lumpur, the Sepang International Circuit is fast, flowing, has numerous overtaking opportunities and is a real test for the driver, partly down to the inevitable and often oppressive heat and humidity. With the new regulations for this year, expect numerous driver errors and for the cars to be placed under immense mechanical pressure.

The Sepang circuit is the first of the Tilke circuits and the GP's inaugural year in 1999 paved the way for the Asian expansion of Formula 1, with races in China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Korea and India added to the calendar in recent years - although the last two have since departed from the travelling circus that is F1.

When one thinks of Malaysia, rain is one of the fist thoughts that occur. The race has been affected numerous times, most notably in 2001, 2009 (the race was unable to be finished, so half-points were awarded), qualifying in 2010 (two Ferraris and two McLarens at the back of the grid) and in 2012. With the high heat & humidity threatening to spark off rain showers any time, expect rain to play a big part in the weekend.

As for the pecking order, it is mainly unclear apart from the fact that Mercedes are miles in front of anyone else, and those with a Mercedes engine are all doing reasonably well. However, it is McLaren leading the constructors championship after a 3rd and 4th in Melbourne. Whilst it may not seem significant now, the points accrued in the early races may be pivotal in the championship as after all, every race is worth the same (oh wait, that's not right).

For some stupid reason, we now have to wait for two weeks before the race weekend, so there's plenty of time for discussion, dissection and disagreement.

So..... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!!

They established that they were right before rushing into a decision. That's the right thing to do, and in true F1 style they're being punished mercilessly for it.

Also interesting: McLaren's confidence that Ricciardo needed to save fuel at the end of the race.

Now car slower than 2004 car at 8 seconds:
lap Australia 2004 - 1:24, now - 1:32.
What will be lap time without fuel limit?

We need to wait for a dry qualifying session to make the comparison but the cars have been slower than 2004 since, well, 2004, it's nothing new. Based on pre-season testing I think the 2014 cars will be faster than the 2013 cars by mid-season in qualifying trim.

according the rules (5.1.4 Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/h), so there is no indication to FIA fuel sensor as the reference to measurement, which mean if RedBull sensor prove they not exceed 100kg/h the 2nd place he will take it back
the rules Unclear, so it agine In favor of RedBull
Actually there is something in the rules that (clearly) indicates you must use the fuel sensor:
5.2.5 Cars must be fitted with homologated sensors which provide all necessary signals to the FIA data logger in order to verify the requirements above are being respected
Quite clear to me that the FIA sensor is used to establish if the fuelflow is within the legal limit.
I don't see Red Bull winning this.

Presumably Red Bull will once again be ignoring the TD and using their own data?

Brogan....If Red Bull ignores the TD, and again is penalized, will Mateschitz possibly quit F1, as he seems to be threatening, because other issues as he said, " F1 is not there to set new records in fuel consumption, nor to make it possible to have a whisper during a race, " seems also to be more annoyances for Mr. Mateschitz?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula-one/26721387

Actually there is something in the rules that (clearly) indicates you must use the fuel sensor:

Quite clear to me that the FIA sensor is used to establish if the fuelflow is within the legal limit.
I don't see Red Bull winning this.

5.2.5 refers to "other means of propulsion and energy recovery"
5.10.3 is the equivalent section for the fuel systems ... if it was written like 5.2.5 it would be a lot more cut and dry ...

Presumably Red Bull will once again be ignoring the TD and using their own data?

They seem so sure of their case so to do otherwise would seem a little contradictory.

So ... RBR take only 4 sensors to Australia ... presumably two for each car ... the first sensor performs as expected ... then at the end FP1 gets a little wobble ... which persists all the way through FP2 ... after consulting with the FIA about the data, they replace with the second sensor ... which is bat shit crazy compared to the first (with both the team and the FIA in agreement) ... and they reinstall the first sensor ... which performs with the wobbles during the race as previously experienced ... and RBR choose to ignore the offset given to them from the FIA technical delegate ...

I would presume the conversation between team manager and RBR procurement manager on Sunday night at 11pm Australian time ... "get Jimmy down to Gill and get me a few boxes of those god damn sensors" ... I was reading some teams brought up to 12 sensors to Melbourne ...

If they only bring a handful (4 or 6 to Malaysia) then their true colors will be disclosed ... if they bring a box for each car ... then by the law of averages they should be able to find one that works ....

I'm not convinced by any of the RBR arguments from Australia.

This is possibly because my default take on Horner is that he is just a lying little shit at the best of times - but I have another theory!

RBR have been all over the place in testing but may have one or two ideas on how to sort things - one of which may be to do with running the car as fast as possible, using a higher fuel flow than allowed in the rules.

But how to get enough info to work on a proper solution that will be close enough to being legal .... as usual?
Well the Sunday in Oz is a full race-distance and would allow the collection of lots of lovely data.
Nobody will notice that one of the cars is running so much better than expected, until it's too late.
And, so what, if the new boy gets disqualified at the end - it's all in the sake of a greater cause.

Conspiracy theory?
Maybe; but the louder they complain, the more suspicious I become!

Any bets that RBR suddenly get back on track ..... like that 'irrelevant' tyre test that propelled Mercedes forward last season?

Last edited:
This is so frustrating. There doesn't seem to be any live lap times anymore, anywhere. Sky F1 did it last week on race control, but not this week and F1 website doesn't do it either. This stage in FP2 is usually really interesting, but it is difficult to know what is going on without live times. I wish there was something that just showed each drivers last lap. I don't know if anyone knows if anything like that exists.

Ted just said at the start of FP2 that Mercedes have bought all the spare sensors on the market at £16,000 a piece. Red Bull only have 4 spares. Love it.

Jonathan Neale (McLaren COO) mentioned on FP2 that the sensors have been no more problematic than other parts on the car and he thinks there's "too much drama" going on about the sensors. He sounded very irked about the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom