Grand Prix 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So, after the thrills and (mainly) spills that was Australia, we move onto the greenhouse that is Malaysia for the second round of the championship. Situated just outside of the capital Kuala Lumpur, the Sepang International Circuit is fast, flowing, has numerous overtaking opportunities and is a real test for the driver, partly down to the inevitable and often oppressive heat and humidity. With the new regulations for this year, expect numerous driver errors and for the cars to be placed under immense mechanical pressure.

The Sepang circuit is the first of the Tilke circuits and the GP's inaugural year in 1999 paved the way for the Asian expansion of Formula 1, with races in China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Korea and India added to the calendar in recent years - although the last two have since departed from the travelling circus that is F1.

When one thinks of Malaysia, rain is one of the fist thoughts that occur. The race has been affected numerous times, most notably in 2001, 2009 (the race was unable to be finished, so half-points were awarded), qualifying in 2010 (two Ferraris and two McLarens at the back of the grid) and in 2012. With the high heat & humidity threatening to spark off rain showers any time, expect rain to play a big part in the weekend.

As for the pecking order, it is mainly unclear apart from the fact that Mercedes are miles in front of anyone else, and those with a Mercedes engine are all doing reasonably well. However, it is McLaren leading the constructors championship after a 3rd and 4th in Melbourne. Whilst it may not seem significant now, the points accrued in the early races may be pivotal in the championship as after all, every race is worth the same (oh wait, that's not right).

For some stupid reason, we now have to wait for two weeks before the race weekend, so there's plenty of time for discussion, dissection and disagreement.

So..... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!!

My wife, very selfishly, wants to go and visit her Mother this weekend (anyone would think there was a special day this weekend) so we in a hotel darn sarf. Is it on the BBC by any chance?

Mothering Sunday is the 30th isn't it? (had to check that one!).
I'm visiting the folks on Friday and miffed I'll miss the practice sessions!

Malaysian rain.... again we won't receive real team lineup.
Makes this season more exciting does it not?
At least Mercedes shouldn't run away with the title then. Although it would still be great if Rosberg and Hamilton would battle closely every race.

I wonder if we'll see any of the outside of 1/inside of 2 moves in the next three races, or whether these cars are just too twitchy to risk that one.

(Hamberg) yes I'm huge Ferrari fan
+
(RasputinLives) if we look back at Q3 in Australia GP 2014, we will find Ferrari had Gamble when they send alonso with intermediate at the time every one used wet, Unfortunately it not work like we hope as the it work with Daniel Ricciardo who beat Nico Rosberg just because he used the intermediate and he almost beat Lewis Hamilton if he manage run another fly-lap, so we in the mix but the luck not there.
it's dream team, and as what it is the situation are right now, we expect from the both to collect many points as many they can, Certainly Kimi Räikkönen is so better than Felipe Massa, but in the grid there are no driver's better than Fernando Alonso

at Ferrari website Deputy Chief Designer Simone Resta “on a race weekend (Malaysian GP), we can only try and get the most out of what we have to work with at the track and in Malaysia, then in Bahrain a week later, we will keep moving forward down that path.”
from what i understand, he mean there is no Aerodynamics update, but there is software & hardware update

I Bet for Reliabilityless-ness of Mercedes to limit the damage of poor F14T Competitive

What does Ferrari need to do to close the gap from Mercedes?
Gary Anderson: the gap in Melbourne is 0.847 per cent slower than pacesetter Mercedes, to close this gap it either needs 8.5 per cent more downforce (that's around 100kg at 250km/h) without any drag penalty or 8.5 per cent more horsepower from the power unit (that's around 70hp)
hopefully Ferrari have some magic to do that in Malaysian GP

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they need to use the FIA fuel sensor. The rules state that they use the FIA fuel flow sensor. Any team that doesn't use the sensor, unless otherwise directed, should be disqualified.

Would you have been happier if Ricciardo had been black flagged during the race, after it became apparent that RB weren't going to readjust their fuel flow, instead of veins DSQ after the fact?

I'm totally agree, the accident will be important factor in Malaysia GP, if we look back in Australia qualifying, Lewis Hamilton almost kiss the Barriers in Two occasions, so less driver's error mean more point
DpQ07ax.jpg

uUrVKbj.jpg

Well, they need to use the FIA fuel sensor. The rules state that they use the FIA fuel flow sensor. Any team that doesn't use the sensor, unless otherwise directed, should be disqualified.

Would you have been happier if Ricciardo had been black flagged during the race, after it became apparent that RB weren't going to readjust their fuel flow, instead of veins DSQ after the fact?

according the rules (5.1.4 Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/h), so there is no indication to FIA fuel sensor as the reference to measurement, which mean if RedBull sensor prove they not exceed 100kg/h the 2nd place he will take it back
the rules Unclear, so it agine In favor of RedBull

Back
Top Bottom