Grand Prix 2013 Indian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Here's CTA's discussion thread on the Indian GP, as F1 travels to New Delhi from October 25-27:

WDC:

Despite the best efforts of Webber and RoGro, Vettel needs only a fifth place finish to secure his 4th title, which means its all over in the WDC. But the drivers down the grid have more than pride at stake.

Alonso's lack of performance over the last 2 races, better pace from Hamilton and Kimi and the lack of any bad luck for Webber means that the 2nd to 5th positions in the WDC are yet to be settled. And good performances (or the lack of it) from several drivers (Hulkenberg, Massa, Sutil, Di Resta to name a few) could still determine where (and if) they are driving next season.

WCC:

RBR may be on the verge of winning the WCC, but only 33 points separate 2nd placed Ferrari from 4th placed Lotus, and the battle for 2nd position (very important from a monetary standpoint) is poised to go down to the last couple of races. Sauber and McLaren may have secured their respective positions from their rivals, but can McLaren get that elusive podium to avoid the record books from being rewritten.

Circuit and Race:

Despite having an interesting track layout, with each and every lap of the Indian GP being led by Vettel to date, its no wonder that the past races don't trigger too many memories. And with race not being held next year, a good race and crowd support will be essential for the race to return in 2015.

But throw in some encouraging signs from the Japanese GP (atleast Vettel didn't win it in Lap 1) and the tyre degradation battles in the last 2 races (tracks similar in nature to the BIC) and who knows, we could have an interesting Indian GP. But one things for sure, it will be a pleasant surprise if we dont see that finger....

Another one for the Sky+ box I think, so I can whizz forward through the inevitable Bollywood homage and the cringeworthy "Pinky & Krav go shopping in New Delhi" bits, plus the equally grimly predictable feature on the Force India drivers and how "bitterly disappointed" they are bound to be with how the season has panned out, but are hopeful of a good result at their second "home" GP:bored:...and that's before we even get to yet another teeth-grinding interview with Christian Horner. That man will become the new poster boy for Bruxism after this season, with all the "trying to be cheerful and complimentary in the face of increasing antipathy and loathing for everything Red Bull stands for and achieves". :rolleyes:

Hmm - excuse me while I go away and choke on my own bile...:sick:
The best post I've ever read about the Indian Grand Prix in India, it is clear, succinct and gets right to the nub of the matter, I only wish I had written it myself..

Last edited:
Mmmm. India-Gate

India has three motoring organisations that are members of the FIA so one would expect that their representatives will attend the ISC to defend the race. Will the FIA send anyone and will Jean Todt and Bernie be there? If so what clout will they have? Then there is Vijay Malya. He is a member of India's parliament (Independent) so maybe he might turn up to speak on the event organiser's behalf. Of course the Kingfisher debacle might not help so maybe he will keep a low profile.

This will be an interesting test for F1. Will it just be a case of Bernie's chums stumping up the cash or will the court take an opportunity to slap F1's bum by rejecting a last minute bung? Will politicking buy time? Will Rooters have a juicy new story to parody?

Love it. Can't wait.

India's FIA member clubs:
FEDERATION OF INDIAN AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATIONS (FIAA)
MOTORSPORTS ASSOCIATION OF INDIA (MAI)
THE FEDERATION OF MOTOR SPORTS CLUBS OF INDIA (FMSCI)

What a terrible mess this event has been from the start.

Pity about the track going to waste, but other than that, nothing to cry over if we never hear of the Indian GP again.

Ridiculous...:givemestrength:

Not the litigation (this is a public interest litigaton - anybody on the street has the right to file a case in public interest and this is quite common), but the importance that this is being given by the (mostly foreign) media.

This is like saying that a company that hasn't paid some taxes should be liquidated. While it can happen legally, that's the last resort and takes place only when the company doesnt pay the taxes, penalty etc, levied after the court hearing.

The media always needs a punching bag problem and everybody is band-wagoning on any and every issue (without actually understanding it) which doesn't have to do with the actual race itself. :censored:

This all sounds very interesting, I will be following the McLarens closely this weekend
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110832

Jenson Button will be using a radical set-up at this weekend's Indian Grand Prix to find out if McLaren can unlock a secret for its 2014 Formula 1 car.

the 2009 world champion reckons McLaren's lack of competitiveness is giving an opportunity to try something very different.

"Here I have a set-up on my car that is completely different to any other race we have had the last couple of years - just to see where we are. It might help us next year.

With McLaren focused on ensuring it does a better job for 2014, Button says there are several areas where it has been able to experiment

You learn where you cannot put things in terms of front wing angles and how the airflow is over the car," he said. "And that will really help us for next year's car.

Sure GermanF1. Just a clarification that I was talking specifically about the above litigation and the media reports that the race will get cancelled.

A Public Interest Litigation is a court litigation which is brought up by a member of the general public (random guy) who feels aggrieved by an issue and feels that harms the general public at large. In this case, somebody has filed a PIL against Jaypee alleging that the promoters haven't paid taxes, resulting in disruption of public interest and hence, the race should be cancelled.

First of all, PIL is a very simple and popular method in the Indian legal system for (generally unknown) lawyers to become famous. File a PIL against a big company/ person/ event (generally right before an important day, as is the case here) and under the Indian judicial system the courts are obligated to conduct a hearing for the case. This happens very regularly in India and most of such PILs are quashed in the first hearing.

Regardless, we don't know whether Jaypee has actually not paid taxes etc and there's always a chance that the PIL gets accepted. However, if this is the case, the court will ask them to pay some taxes/ penalties etc and that's the end of that. The deadline for paying the taxes will not be this weekend (whoever has ever heard of govts work on weekends :whistle:) and is generally 2-3 weeks. Hence, assuming that Jaypee have gone broke all of a sudden and cant pay these taxes, the GP this weekend will go ahead regardless.

Hence, there's no chance of the GP not taking place. The media reports are crap and I am willing to take any bet on the GP happening this weekend.:cheers:

why are people are not surprised by this
the bBC were highlighting the fact the race was filled with Bollywood celebrities but outside in the city the people are poor
in 2011

Given that there were concerns for not being able to host in 2014 because of tax issues.

Having said that it does seems the Indian way of doing business is always seems to be leave everything to sort it out at the last minute and rush it all through like the Commonwealth games. So don;t be surprised if at the 11th hour the taxes will be settled

I'm almost 100% sure the race will go ahead, it takes more than tax to call off a major event the day before it starts. It's just people who don't want the race to have a future posturing and making their voices heard.

Rachit Bedi thank you very much for explaining that so well in laymans terms because the media have been making no sense on it at all!

As for the race. Anyone think the Toro Rosso boys need to pull their fingers out this weekend? They've both been pretty anon since Ricciardo got his promotion.

This is precisely why I took this thread off-topic a few pages back. There seemed to be far more valid points to discuss. I think I just saw someone in the stands, hope he's enjoying practice. Does anyone else remember the farm workers who lost their livelihood when the land was taken to build the track. They were already barely surviving, now they have nothing.

Local interest in FP is minimal, as nobody wants to be at the circuit at 10 am on a Friday just to watch the cars for 5 secs every 1.5 mins (most of the people don't follow F1 religiously and hence understand only the raceday itself). But it will pick up from qualifying and then Sunday should have 55k+ in my opinion. Sunday only tickets are cheaper than the full weekend pass and many people prefer to just buy those.

Sorry to take this thread off track again but Kewee - the farmers who sold their land were paid an amount what they thought was adequate to sell their land. We can always go to larger issues on subsistence, education and corporates hoarding money from uneducated and ignorant people, but then that's what happens everywhere. I work in M&A, investment banking and the biggest crooks, thugs and looters I have seen in my life are the guys who wear ties and suits to work. This has nothing to do with India and is the case all over the world.

Further, for people (Kewee, not talking about you here - I read your earlier mention about your concern for living conditions of people in India) who think that living conditions or farmers near Delhi or the track are getting a raw deal should know that conditions in rural and unaccessible parts of India are severely worse. However, this is a much larger issue and doesn't concern only F1. This is about people sitting in air conditioned rooms and reading about poor living conditions on their I-Pad and thinking how they can change the world and then forgetting all about it. Its about morals, conscience and your drive in life and there can be no end to the discussions on that.

On FP1, looks like business as usual. Mercs should target 2nd position in WCC this weekend with Ferrari's problems.

Back
Top Bottom