Grand Prix 2013 Indian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Here's CTA's discussion thread on the Indian GP, as F1 travels to New Delhi from October 25-27:

WDC:

Despite the best efforts of Webber and RoGro, Vettel needs only a fifth place finish to secure his 4th title, which means its all over in the WDC. But the drivers down the grid have more than pride at stake.

Alonso's lack of performance over the last 2 races, better pace from Hamilton and Kimi and the lack of any bad luck for Webber means that the 2nd to 5th positions in the WDC are yet to be settled. And good performances (or the lack of it) from several drivers (Hulkenberg, Massa, Sutil, Di Resta to name a few) could still determine where (and if) they are driving next season.

WCC:

RBR may be on the verge of winning the WCC, but only 33 points separate 2nd placed Ferrari from 4th placed Lotus, and the battle for 2nd position (very important from a monetary standpoint) is poised to go down to the last couple of races. Sauber and McLaren may have secured their respective positions from their rivals, but can McLaren get that elusive podium to avoid the record books from being rewritten.

Circuit and Race:

Despite having an interesting track layout, with each and every lap of the Indian GP being led by Vettel to date, its no wonder that the past races don't trigger too many memories. And with race not being held next year, a good race and crowd support will be essential for the race to return in 2015.

But throw in some encouraging signs from the Japanese GP (atleast Vettel didn't win it in Lap 1) and the tyre degradation battles in the last 2 races (tracks similar in nature to the BIC) and who knows, we could have an interesting Indian GP. But one things for sure, it will be a pleasant surprise if we dont see that finger....

Just watching FP1 , the smog is pretty dreadful and the crowd non-existent. On the plus side, the grass is nice and green. Was it India where they painted the grass or another track?

Ted Kravitz couldn't be bothered as the grandstand is too big. Glad McLaren have removed the wart from the nose of their car.

Just watching FP1 , the smog is pretty dreadful and the crowd non-existent. On the plus side, the grass is nice and green. Was it India where they painted the grass or another track?

I probably would be India.

Its also odd watching the start of sessions on the hour for me. India is one of those weird 1/2 hour time zones and so is my city.

Last edited:
Rachit Bedi …… I was not referring to the farmers that actually owned the land and sold it for what they believed was a fair price, my concern was for the workers, who no longer had jobs. I'm also very aware of the hardship people suffer in rural and more inaccessible parts of India, That's where I've spent most of my time.
I don't know anyone who sits in air-conditioned rooms with their i-Pad thinking they can change the world, the people I know are far too busy giving time and money, working on the ground actually making a difference in peoples lives in many parts of the world.

Last edited:
Right, this is the last post I will allow on something other than the Grand Prix. FOM is not a charitable organisation. It doesn't have a plan like the WWF, Red Cross or UNICEF to improve the lives of people and/or animals around the World. It's sole function is to promote F1 racing in to markets where it thinks it can make money. F1 races in lots of countries where there is significant poverty, human rights abuses and questionable governments. Quite why India is being singled out for excessive criticism I know not so please desist. Further posts will be deleted from this thread.

Members are welcome to start a thread to discus the geopolitical situation in relation to F1 but NOT in the Indian PQR discussion thread.

Thanks

FB

Wheel nut has come off Pastors car again. What on earth. They are in big trouble here. 2 weekends in a row. Can they even race? We can't have loose nuts and wheels flying around a track, that sort of thing can kill.

Last edited:
Just thinking the same thing GL - I don't think they won't be allowed to carry on this weekend.

/as far as I recall it wasn't happening earlier i the season so they obviously changed something, be it with the wheel guns or whatever...
Whatever it is we ain't be told.

Speaking during FP2 to NBC Sport's Will Buxton, Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India president Vicky Chandok (father of former F1 driver Karun) said that the courts have agreed to hear the plea to stop this weekend's F1 race.

On Monday.

So it looks like Vettel will be forced to win the 2013 WDC the old fashioned way.

this is turning into a procession Red Bull 1-2 already which means if they carry on like this they will disappear after the start although it is said the Bulls wear out the soft tyre much more than either Ferrari or Lotus so if someone can jump Seb there could a race on our hands

So India secretly possess the secret of time travel :D. If the court finds in favour of the applicant a TT operative will return to yesterday and ensure that the event is wiped from this continuum :o

I just watched the first 2 FP's and it seems to me the track is actually wider than it is painted, I watched a lap with Hamilton and he seemed to spend around 50% of the lap with all four wheels outside of the white lines that define the playing area, surely this cannot be allowed to continue....

And before someone gets the hump it was not just Lewis doing it...

Last edited:
Is there seriously any doubt about the fact that RBR will dominate the entire weekend? Do any of us really believe that some shining knight will arrive and turn it all around? If they do it's time for a visit to their Doctor.

There was certainly discussion about the white lines, it sounds as though Charlie Whiting has told the drivers that anyone going over the white line with all four wheels will have that lap time removed.

I'm trying to remember what happens if none of the drivers has a legal qualifying lap, I suspect that the start will be in WDC points order.:D

Back
Top Bottom