Pre-Season 2013 F1 Winter Testing: 3 - Circuit de Catalunya, 28 February-3 March

I reckon their hydraulic linked suspension they've been working on for the past few years has finally come into fruition and Aldo Costa who lead the design of this years car is well known as being an expert in the area of suspension. Their car doesn't have anything on it aerodynamically that is obvious to the eye that is making them quick so I can only assume it's in more mechanical areas such as suspension.

I think you may be onto something there. As you say aerodynamically there's nothing amazing on the car and they probably have one of the least intricate front wings out there. Gary Anderson said a few weeks ago that they were losing a lot lap time because of their front wing design philosophy but they've revised the design since. Overall the basics look good even if it's early days.

My interesr has picked up with Merc now but mainly because what Hamilton is doing may highlight the fact that the Merc hasn't been as bad as it looked sometimes but has been let down by its drivers.

There have been many changes mad to the Mercedes team, and they've had quite some time to work on this car, and this is the first proper year, where all the engineers that they brought in the previous year can work altogether on the car.

If anything, last years drivers over achieved in the car, especially in qualifying. Both drivers having to 2 stop in a race where the rest of their competition did a one stop tells most of the story.

Rosberg was consistent, and at one point scored the most points, but dropped off when the car did.

Schumacher was plagued by car failures and Grosjean.

Having a new top line driver will have a positive effect on the team aswell, but like I said, there are several factors on why Mercedes would make a rapid improvement compared to their previous attempts.

Rosberg sets a 1m20.722.

Unfortunately all the live timings that usually give me a good idea of stints are on the fritz today. It looks like we are going to have to make do with headline times. Unless Autosport or somebody else gets their act together and start taking note of how long the stints actually last.

So what's the most widely held view on the F138's prospects at the start of the season??? Everybody somehow seems to consider them to be below RBR,McL,Lotus and Mercedes in the pre-season pecking order. I hope the car isnt that bad!!! :( They've set some pretty competent times overall...i hope they manage to get a proper race sim done today...

Alonso does a 1:20.606, Rosberg responds with a 1:20.130.
2010 pole time was a 1:19.995, lap record set in 2009 by Rubens Barrichello is a 1:19.954

So what's the most widely held view on the F138's prospects at the start of the season??? Everybody somehow seems to consider them to be below RBR,McL,Lotus and Mercedes in the pre-season pecking order. I hope the car isnt that bad!!! :( They've set some pretty competent times overall...i hope they manage to get a proper race sim done today...
Can't see why they would have Ferrari below the five teams you've listed to be honest. To me they look very strong. The reason I say that is Massa is putting in very good times, in fact he is often matching Alonso. I think most would agree the car must be very good for Massa to be nearly equalling Alonso's times. Massa need a well balanced car to get the best from himself.

1. Nico Rosberg		1:20.130, 50 laps (S); 
2. Fernando Alonso 1:20.494, 62 laps (S);
3. Jenson Button 1:21.444, 44 laps (Unmarked);
4. Nico Hulkenberg 1:21.541, 46 laps (S);
5. Paul di Resta 1:21.664, 37 laps;
6. Pastor Maldonado 1:22.415, 39 laps;
7. Sebastian Vettel 1:22.514, 45 laps (Unmarked);
8. Charles Pic 1:23.115, 52 laps;
9. Jules Bianchi 1:23.167, 62 laps;
10. Daniel Ricciardo 1:23.628, 46 laps;
11. Kimi Raikkonen 1:24.396, 5 laps.

Back