Pre-Season 2012 New Car Images & Discussion

McLaren 2012, without the ugly nose, so how have they done it?
l__g7c3422-2

Probably something to do with how they've aligned the front suspension geometry - if they've managed to package it lower ahead of the front cockpit bulkhead, then there's no need for the "ugly step" that is predicted for most of the grid.

It looks like a double decker nose. The platypus part seems to be there, but is adorned by a ´false´top layer that both creates a channel directing air to the sides and also gives a sleeker look.

Looking at the few pics of the back end, the exhaust looks a little low for the new regs? Has been commented on by a few journos as well, maybe this is what they are expecting other teams to protest?

f1 fanatic have some really nice quality zoomable pics of the MP4/27 here:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/02/01/mclaren-mp4-27-2012-f1-car-pictures/mclaren_mp4-27_2012-3/

That exhaust exit certainly looks quite interesting. I must admit, I had assumed that the regs would require them to terminate much further back so as not to influence the bodywork's aerodynamics, but clearly they have gone the other way and require the exhausts to be further forward as well as angled upowards. Don't know why, but I had also expected to see some 100mm long visible tailpipes.

Didn't McLaren go for a similar exhaust exit a few years ago, but found problems wih suspension parts over heating in the airflow? Or I am just being confused???:dizzy:

So.. Either McLaren have lowered the bulkhead and suspension to within the height restriction of the new nose regs or that’s not the nose that will be on the car, its just a better looking model for the pics.
Any idea's which?

I believe they have complied with the reg's but it's difficult to say whether that is the same nose we will see at the first test, never mind the first race.

I doubt very much they have the "real" back end on there with so many cameras about - remember how all the crew crowd round the back of the car on the grid walk at every race when they even think someone is looking at it.

Back
Top Bottom