2012 IRL Season

It's Franchitti all over again. Well done for the Scott. Sato had the lead for a moment and the lost it and then lost the car, wha at a shame, but that's racing.

Fantastic for Dario, great recovery drive from a bad qualifying and being spun around in the pit lane by Viso.

The most lead changes in Indy 500 history apparently. Still not quite a thriller.

Here are the final laps with Franchitti, Dixon and Sato:

I enjoyed the race. Not the best I have seen but still pretty good. I was pulling for Sato big time but a mistake on the last lap whilst challenging for the lead cost him a great result.

Well done Franchitti!

It was a very entertainng race. Sato would have won but Franchitti pulled a Nico Rosberg while they were turning at 215 miles per hour. If thats not dangerous driving, I'm not sure what is.

Distressing scenes at Belle Isle, where chunks of the track surface have come loose and caused a red flag at half-distance. Hard to see how they can make any kind of decent repair job to get the race restarted.

The problem with the surface breaking up reminds me of the 1973 GP at Zolder, the only other time I can recall anything similar happening.

There's been a few other occasions - Jarama 1975, Long Beach 1983 and Belgium 1985 but we stray off topic...

As a summary, Dixon won, Sato crashed and Barichello retired. The state of the track was awful. Next stop? Toronto!

Season finale already? I know, it feels odd, but this is the final weekend for Indycar.

Team Penske's Will Power, who has probably been the most consistent of the title contenders this season, goes into the race at Fontana with a 17pt lead over Ryan Hunter-Reay, but Hunter-Reay had been the form man, four wins in the last seven races giving him a shot at the championship that had looked unlikely at mid-season. Furthermore, the Californian oval is not likely to be Power's liking - his best finish on an oval this year is eighth at Texas - even though Penske have generally had a fast car at the longer ovals.

With 50pts for a win, if Hunter-Reay can get out in front, Power needs finish on the podium to take the title. He can probably rely on the support of team-mates Helio Castroneves and Ryan Briscoe, and the latter was fastest in first practice.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102547

Back
Top Bottom