Grand Prix 2012 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Racking up the air miles now

Going into the third race of the 2012 season and it is still unclear where everyone lies in true race pace over a normal dry race without the intervention of a safety car apart from that McLaren have done the best job of the teams with Red Bull and Mercedes not too far apart but Mercedes seem to be struggling with higher levels of tyre degradation compared to the other front runners.

Despite all the highly publicised problems at Ferrari, Fernando Alonso currently leads the Championship after a 5th place in Australia and an against the odds victory in Malaysia where the rain early on managed to put Alonso in the lead when the others struggled. However this doesn't mean things are rosy in Maranello as when the track dried up Alonso started to fall back and was being hunted down by none other than Sergio Perez in the Sauber who was closing in rapidly on the Spaniard only to make a minor mistake with a couple of laps to go which ruined his chances of a maiden victory, but he was understandably delighted to finish in second place. Lewis Hamilton showed that he is a more rounded driver than he was in 2011 with a second consecutive third place showing he has the maturity to make the best of a bad job when circumstances were against him when he was caught out by the pit stops (like he was in Australia) to not make any mistakes and bring the car home in third place for 15 points which could be crucial at the end of the season.

On the other hand, team mate Jenson Button had a characteristically poor race after running second early on, but after outbraking himself he broke his front wing trying to overtake an HRT who was running there on position after an early gamble for wets paid off as when the red flag fell, Narain was running in 10th place which shocked fans worldwide. The red flag was also (im)famous for the introduction of gazebos all down the grid, something previously pioneered by Mercedes in Canada last season.

2012 has seen (so far) probably one of the most competitive midfields in many seasons with Force India, Sauber, Williams and Toro Rosso all pushing the top teams for points and Sauber have already claimed a podium through Perez and it could be said that on pure one lap pace, most of these teams are as quick as if not faster than Ferrari, certainly faster than Felipe Massa who is really coming under pressure for his seat after 2 mediocre performances so far while Alonso continued to drag the car to places where it shouldn't really be.

Looking ahead to China and it has been a track which has favoured McLaren in recent years with Lewis Hamilton winning in 2008 and 2011 and Jenson Button winning in the rain affected 2010 race. Hamilton should have won in 2007 but famously threw it away in the pitlane after running wide on very used tyres when he was in a position to win the Championship, something with now Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen took advantage of to win the race and eventually steal the Championship in Brazil.

China will also be an importunity to be the first true comparison of Sky and BBC as it is the first race that will be shown live on BBC and it will certainly be very interesting to see where the two broadcasters shape up over a full race weekend and it will show to people in their own minds which one is better and it is pretty clear that it certainly won't be a clear cut thing and will be down more to personal preference than the overall package compared to the other.

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

The thing is, I'm sure I saw Brawn talking to Ted Kravitz live on Sky Sports, before I turned over and then saw him talking to Gary Anderson on the BBC. So he may have 'blanked' Ted because they'd already just spoken. Or maybe Ted got to talk to Ross after Gary, and the BBC played their interview a bit later. Or I may just remember it wrong.:s

Sorry for poor quality, recorded on my blackberry! Which you can't see chat on so is that a bug or blackberry fault?!

Let's be fair, Kravitz is just a vacuous presenter on a TV programme but otherwise has no connection with F1, like so many microphone wavers flooding the pit lane.
Anderson has designed F1 cars - the Jordan 191 and the Stewart SF3 - and worked for Brabham, Thyrrell, Ensign, and teams in other Formulae.
If you were Ross Brawn at that instant would you be interviewed by a space-filling nobody, or by someone you know, respect and trust?
In that moment he went for the obvious choice, the interviewer who actually knows something about F1 from having done it.

It goes to show just how much advantage Redbull and Vettel had last year, although in all fairness Vettel's best time in quali was quicker than Webber's. He just set it at the wrong time. Also, his demeanor isn't great for the sort of position he'll be racing from tomorrow and this could easily have a negative impact on his race.

I feel this should be moved to the Sky vs BBC debate! To get back on to the race, due to overnight expected rain this will create a 'green track' but the track temprature for the race start is expected to be around mid-twenties, and the track is expected to be dry for the start, but as always the astro/ artifical grass will potentially be wet

Apparantly Hamilton has set his car up for the race. Button is also hoping for a warm day because he (not everyone apparantly) is unable to heat the front tyres on a cool day. I wouldn't mind Rosberg winning, but I wouldn't bet on it, that Mercedes isn't as fast as a Red Bull or McLaren in race trim in addition to degrading it's tyres faster, but I suppose both Mercs start with a fresh set of softs.

I must say I was happy when I saw Hamilton's reaction to Rosberg's pole. He seems genuinely pleased for Nico, it's a sign that some drivers can be friends at least.

Just as long as they are not in the same team ...just like Alonso and Kubica

Jenson seemed pretty nervous when he was talking about Kobayashi - what's the betting that all the drivers run away from him when they get into the first corner?

Kobayashi is in unknown territory and not use to be at the front end of the grid so he could have a moment of brain fade and take out a few drivers by getting over excited like Grosjean has

Perez has said on air that he has no intention of changing teams this season as he would not be able to give 100% if he did so. However, he is favourite to be with Alonso next year, but who else is there who is going to be better than Massa for the remaining part of the season knowing that they will be out at the end of it?

I think I will beat Whippet to the punch and suggest Heidfeld.

There has been talk of Jarno Trulli. Hope the power steering is good. He might do better than Massa in quali at least and would create some massive Trulli trains the state that Ferrari is in.

I still think Felipe will see the season out before retiring though

Who is Ferrari's third/reserve driver for the season ? Is it Fisichella or Badoer or a swerve move would be prise back Bianchi from Force India if they can;t get Perez

It goes to show just how much advantage Redbull and Vettel had last year, although in all fairness Vettel's best time in quali was quicker than Webber's. He just set it at the wrong time. Also, his demeanor isn't great for the sort of position he'll be racing from tomorrow and this could easily have a negative impact on his race.

the EBD and the flexi wing advantage have gone ...
that is 3-0 to Webber although Vettel is defiant the old set up was better

Alonso could make his life difficult as there has been a bit of needle about being potential teammates in the future and Vettel has not forgotten two wheels on the grass at Monza in a hurry

This race seems quite unpredictable, and with the possibility of rain it could throw it up in the air for me to take the chequered flag in first.

Either of the top 7 can win it, the two Mercedes can drive away with Kobayashi and Raikkonen as buffers, or Kobayashi and Raikkonen could pass the Mercedes early on, and fight between each other as they've both got good race pace.

Then there's Button, Hamilton and Webber, I don't think Webber will seriously challenge but who knows.

It should be interesting, and hopefully not an anti-climax.

This race seems quite unpredictable, and with the possibility of rain it could throw it up in the air for me to take the chequered flag in first.

Either of the top 7 can win it, the two Mercedes can drive away with Kobayashi and Raikkonen as buffers, or Kobayashi and Raikkonen could pass the Mercedes early on, and fight between each other as they've both got good race pace.

Then there's Button, Hamilton and Webber, I don't think Webber will seriously challenge but who knows.

It should be interesting, and hopefully not an anti-climax.

Although he has work to do Vettel apparently has got more downforce on his car just in case of the rain

In the dry he has an extra set of tyres remember Webber's charge last year.... so people can't complain if he steams through and win because they had a chance to sort out this unfair quali advantage and the teams did not before the season started

That is actually a very good point.

With a strange grid, maybe some of the teams have opted or a wet-setup.

Something to ponder :thinking:

Hamilton has to be ruing his penalty - he would be odds on favourite for the win tomorrow starting from the front row. As it is he's going to now have to pass his team mate and Webber.
I bet he wishes PĂ©rez had done a better job...

I'm actually feeling really upbeat about that Quali, from a Lewis point of view, and I bet Lewis is too. Once he knew he had the penalty it could've been so much worse. As it is, with the pace Lewis has been showing this weekend, he has to still be thinking about the win. 6 or 7 drivers could take this tomorrow. I can't remember a quali session ever leading to so much uncertainty over who will win.

I think everyone should be upbeat, even Vettel and Button who both underperformed, especially Vettel out of the two as it could have been much worse.

I don't think Vettel will see it that way. He'll be having an interesting race tomorrow, as those old questions of whether he can race in close combat reared their head again.

pick a winner for the race in this order of likelihood

Hamilton - okay handicapped by penalty but still looks quick
Webber - the superior race pace of Red Bull will help
Schumacher - never discount the wily old fox
Button - he does not appear to be on the pace of the others but usually does better on race day
Raikkonen - be interesting to see if he can maintain his race pace to the others
Rosberg - has had a few race winning positions and not taking them and might get a bit nervous about the prospect
Vettel - lot of work to do from there for him with some tough drivers to pass
Alonso - see Vettel but it would be a miracle if he pulled off another Sepang

the outsiders
Perez - can he go better than Sepang ?
Kobayashi - he could cause havoc to other driver's races
Grosjean - not another accident please !

Back
Top Bottom