Grand Prix 2012 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Racking up the air miles now

Going into the third race of the 2012 season and it is still unclear where everyone lies in true race pace over a normal dry race without the intervention of a safety car apart from that McLaren have done the best job of the teams with Red Bull and Mercedes not too far apart but Mercedes seem to be struggling with higher levels of tyre degradation compared to the other front runners.

Despite all the highly publicised problems at Ferrari, Fernando Alonso currently leads the Championship after a 5th place in Australia and an against the odds victory in Malaysia where the rain early on managed to put Alonso in the lead when the others struggled. However this doesn't mean things are rosy in Maranello as when the track dried up Alonso started to fall back and was being hunted down by none other than Sergio Perez in the Sauber who was closing in rapidly on the Spaniard only to make a minor mistake with a couple of laps to go which ruined his chances of a maiden victory, but he was understandably delighted to finish in second place. Lewis Hamilton showed that he is a more rounded driver than he was in 2011 with a second consecutive third place showing he has the maturity to make the best of a bad job when circumstances were against him when he was caught out by the pit stops (like he was in Australia) to not make any mistakes and bring the car home in third place for 15 points which could be crucial at the end of the season.

On the other hand, team mate Jenson Button had a characteristically poor race after running second early on, but after outbraking himself he broke his front wing trying to overtake an HRT who was running there on position after an early gamble for wets paid off as when the red flag fell, Narain was running in 10th place which shocked fans worldwide. The red flag was also (im)famous for the introduction of gazebos all down the grid, something previously pioneered by Mercedes in Canada last season.

2012 has seen (so far) probably one of the most competitive midfields in many seasons with Force India, Sauber, Williams and Toro Rosso all pushing the top teams for points and Sauber have already claimed a podium through Perez and it could be said that on pure one lap pace, most of these teams are as quick as if not faster than Ferrari, certainly faster than Felipe Massa who is really coming under pressure for his seat after 2 mediocre performances so far while Alonso continued to drag the car to places where it shouldn't really be.

Looking ahead to China and it has been a track which has favoured McLaren in recent years with Lewis Hamilton winning in 2008 and 2011 and Jenson Button winning in the rain affected 2010 race. Hamilton should have won in 2007 but famously threw it away in the pitlane after running wide on very used tyres when he was in a position to win the Championship, something with now Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen took advantage of to win the race and eventually steal the Championship in Brazil.

China will also be an importunity to be the first true comparison of Sky and BBC as it is the first race that will be shown live on BBC and it will certainly be very interesting to see where the two broadcasters shape up over a full race weekend and it will show to people in their own minds which one is better and it is pretty clear that it certainly won't be a clear cut thing and will be down more to personal preference than the overall package compared to the other.

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

they can't use it in the race unless it is doing an overtake whereas in quali of course it was unlimited use.
Usually means all the grip from the rubber will be washed off...that might play in Merc's hands seeing their car generates grip more quickly than the others

Got it - thanks.

Usually means all the grip from the rubber will be washed off...that might play in Merc's hands seeing their car generates grip more quickly than the others

I thought properly green tracks were more abrasive though, it could mean that they burn through their tyres at an even faster rate.

How Tomorrows Race Will Unfold:
Michael Schumacher will overtake Rosberg into turn 1 and the two of them will romp away from Raikkonen who will have overtaken Kobayashi at the start, For the rest of the race Raikkonen and Grosjean will struggle with tyre temperature and slowly fall down the field. Webber Button and Hamilton will have a mighty scrap whereby Hamilton will win followed by Button. Hamilton Button and Webber will then proceed to hunt down the Mercedes' and will eventually overtake them at 3/4 distance though not easily. Alonso too will get a good start and will for the rest of race speed around and score some minor points. The 2 Williams together will charge from 14th and 15th through the field and end up around 10th to 12th. Felipe Massa will have another bad or what has now become average weekend and will moan about car setup and track temperatures. As for Sebastian Vettel? After having one too many Red Bulls he will be very aggressive and while trying to overtake Grosjean, will hit him and call him a tomatoe

What I think will happen is:
Rosberg and Schumi will both have tremendous starts but Schumi will get a slightly better one and lead into the first turn and Kobayashi will keep 3rd defending hard from Kimi allowing the Mercedes to pull away, meanwhile Hamilton will scythe his way through the field getting past Kobayashi and Kimi at the stops and hunt down the mercedes of Rosberg and Schumi who will cleverly keep using DRS to pass and re pass each other and gaining speed, this will keep Hamilton behind for a few laps until Rosberg runs wide at Turn 13 allowing Hamilton to close and pass on the main straight. At the 3rd stops Mclaren and Mercedes will come in at the same time and Mercedes will get Schumi out with a slight gap behind Hamilton, but he passes Hamilton with the DRS but Hamilton repasses on the main straight and goes on to win, Schumacher 2nd with Rosberg holding off Button for 3rd who shall be followed by Raikkonen and Kobayashi still fighting to the death! Also I like the idea of Vettel and Grosjean coming together, so at T2 they shall collide and both retire from the race!

BBC, just after Q3 finished.
The thing is, I'm sure I saw Brawn talking to Ted Kravitz live on Sky Sports, before I turned over and then saw him talking to Gary Anderson on the BBC. So he may have 'blanked' Ted because they'd already just spoken. Or maybe Ted got to talk to Ross after Gary, and the BBC played their interview a bit later. Or I may just remember it wrong.:s

Apparantly Hamilton has set his car up for the race. Button is also hoping for a warm day because he (not everyone apparantly) is unable to heat the front tyres on a cool day. I wouldn't mind Rosberg winning, but I wouldn't bet on it, that Mercedes isn't as fast as a Red Bull or McLaren in race trim in addition to degrading it's tyres faster, but I suppose both Mercs start with a fresh set of softs.

I must say I was happy when I saw Hamilton's reaction to Rosberg's pole. He seems genuinely pleased for Nico, it's a sign that some drivers can be friends at least.

How Tomorrows Race Will Unfold:
Michael Schumacher will overtake Rosberg into turn 1 and the two of them will romp away from Raikkonen
...or take each other out.

For the rest of the race Raikkonen and Grosjean will struggle with tyre temperature and slowly fall down the field.
...or take each other out.

Webber Button and Hamilton will have a mighty scrap whereby Hamilton will win followed by Button.
...or Webber will take out one or both Mclarens along with himself.

The 2 Williams together will charge from 14th and 15th through the field and end up around 10th to 12th.
Hell of a charge (especially given the retirements ahead!). ;)

Felipe Massa will have another bad or what has now become average weekend and will moan about car setup and track temperatures.
...Indy cars for Felipe?

As for Sebastian Vettel? After having one too many Red Bulls he will be very aggressive and while trying to overtake Grosjean, will hit him and call him a tomatoe
...salad days, eh?

The thing is, I'm sure I saw Brawn talking to Ted Kravitz live on Sky Sports, before I turned over and then saw him talking to Gary Anderson on the BBC. So he may have 'blanked' Ted because they'd already just spoken. Or maybe Ted got to talk to Ross after Gary, and the BBC played their interview a bit later. Or I may just remember it wrong.:s
BBC replayed their interview later. Ted looked really peed off.

I reckon this could a season trend as teams start to make the most of these super DRS'. The differential between Quali pace and race pace could become huge.

Jenson seemed pretty nervous when he was talking about Kobayashi - what's the betting that all the drivers run away from him when they get into the first corner?

Well that was interesting :)

Huge lap from Rosberg there - congrat's to him on his first pole.

Hamilton has to be ruing his penalty - he would be odds on favourite for the win tomorrow starting from the front row. As it is he's going to now have to pass his team mate and Webber.
I bet he wishes Pérez had done a better job...

Speaking of Webber, he's making Vettel look very ordinary, isn't he?
A bit of a change from last season.

Williams disappointing again - I expected them to make Q3 at least.

Disappointing Q3 from Grosjean considering his Q2 time.

Alonso once again reinforces the opinion that Ferrari need to replace Massa as soon as possible.

Jenson seemed pretty nervous when he was talking about Kobayashi - what's the bettin that all the drivers run away from him when they get into the first corner?

I don't understand why. If you look at Kobi's record for coming togethers with the front runners.....in fact people in general its not massive compared to the other around him. Certianly Jenson has never had a coming together with him. He's had plenty of trouble passing him and being passed by him though so make of that what you will.

I think them Red Bulls and Mclarens have there work cut out for them tomorrow even if those Mercs go backwards. Both Kobi and Kimi have a rep for doing the job they're expected to do in pressure situations and also being difficult to pass. As long as they don't get preoccupied with each other they're going to be quite difficult to get past. Lets face it that Sauber has looked pretty mighty down the straights.

I worry for Hamilton if Alonso gets a flyer and beats him into the first corner. Alonso in front in an off the pace Ferrari backing Hamilton into Vettel with Grosjean and Perez along for the ride? Got accident written all over it!

....Alonso once again reinforces the opinion that Ferrari need to replace Massa as soon as possible.

Perez has said on air that he has no intention of changing teams this season as he would not be able to give 100% if he did so. However, he is favourite to be with Alonso next year, but who else is there who is going to be better than Massa for the remaining part of the season knowing that they will be out at the end of it?

Alonso once again reinforces the opinion that Ferrari need to replace Massa as soon as possible.
You could argue that any other driver apart from Alonso and maybe Hamilton would also really struggle in that Ferrari. After all, Massa was only 3 tenths off Alonso in Q2 - I think that Alonso is exceptional and Massa is good rather than Alonso is good and Massa is poor.

Perez has said on air that he has no intention of changing teams this season as he would not be able to give 100% if he did so. However, he is favourite to be with Alonso next year, but who else is there who is going to be better than Massa for the remaining part of the season knowing that they will be out at the end of it?

There has been talk of Jarno Trulli. Hope the power steering is good. He might do better than Massa in quali at least and would create some massive Trulli trains the state that Ferrari is in.

I still think Felipe will see the season out before retiring though

Back
Top Bottom